BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #23
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.tonto View Post
5w30 is what we put in the n54's right? i forgot the last one i bought
Dealers use 5-30 or 5-40 depending on where you take your car. A lot of modded guys are running 0-40 although it's a lot more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #24
bruiser135i
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i m sport dct

TBN (Total Base Number)

G'day All
Apart from the BMW Oil specification for your engine , an important quality is the TBN for each specific Oil brand (Australia has relatively high sulphur content in our fuels compared to Europe).

All modern (BMW Approved LL-01) Oils have very good specifications but some are better then others.
When last I looked the Mobil 1 0W-40W was a better (TBN) product then the Castrol Dealership supplied oil .

Cheers
Bruiser
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #25
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser135i View Post
G'day All
Apart from the BMW Oil specification for your engine , an important quality is the TBN for each specific Oil brand (Australia has relatively high sulphur content in our fuels compared to Europe).

All modern (BMW Approved LL-01) Oils have very good specifications but some are better then others.
When last I looked the Mobil 1 0W-40W was a better (TBN) product then the Castrol Dealership supplied oil .

Cheers
Bruiser
It's no secret that the mobil 1 is a superior product, and most of us here don't follow the bmw oil change intervals. So in my humble opinion the TBN isn't as critical if you'e changing it every 12 months or 5-7k kays.

If you're following the bmw intervals, no doubt the mobil 1 product with the high TBN would perform much better after 20k kays use!

But at the end of the day I would rather buy the cheaper castrol and just do regular oil changes then say use mobil 1 at extended drain intervals
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #26
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

My oil of choice is Castrol 5/30 LLO1 Edge Professional as a service provider we have to use the BMW OEM Castrol product, at least if there is an issue i know Castrol Australia will investigate and stand by there product.
For me that is Number 1

As a second pick we will use Liqui Moly, this is the case for most of our track day cars.

We use to offer Motul 300V but that product has become to hard to get and out of most guys price range.

All BMW engines are very expensive to repair and most people would freeeeek out if a failure did happen, my advice for free is use the correct oil and change it at least every 10,000km.
Appreciate 1