BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
fascistbullyboy
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

How do you loosen rear LCA rear bolt/nut? (and possibly other questions)

Hi Guys

I'm in the process of swapping out my original springs and struts with the Bilstein B12 kit.

I was wondering how everyone was able to loosen the rear lower control arm rear bushing bolt to drop the control arm. I have the vehicle on stands and I've found trying to loosen the bolt with a standard socket and box wrench pretty difficult to get enough leverage laying on ground. I've also tried a breaker bar and hit it with some PB-50.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure there are more questions to come. I'm trying to get at least the rear suspension does this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
fascistbullyboy
Rep

Problem solved. Ended up running out to get an impact wrench to break it loose. I hadn't realized what the eccentric washers were doing with the control arm, took me a little while to figure it out and finally let the control arm swing loose. Not looking forward to seeing how messed up my alignment is.

I've got everything re-assembled up to the struts. I'm having a super hard time compressing the rear struts by hand to slide it back into the wheel well/mounting points. I've tried putting my full body weight (165lb) into it and it doesn't seem to want to move. How have you guys done it?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
fascistbullyboy
Rep

Problem solved, hadn't realized bumpstop was in the way and adding additional resistance to compression.

Facing the problem of strut rebounding before I'm able to squeeze it into position.
Appreciate 0