BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
3 stage intake?

Did BMW even offer the single stage intake in Europe?

I know a 125 tune will activate DISA valves transforming it into a 130i.

Apparently US bound cars with the N52K received a single stage intake like mine

For 175 eur and a quick tune I could slap on an additional 35-30 horse?

Dack????? Thoughts???

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E90-E91-E...ht_1329wt_1125
      09-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You should ask Marcel @MS Tuning. He would know. I think he might even be coming to our MielenWerk meeting. I will ask him.

As far as I remember (from what Marcel told me) all the 1er engines are the same mechanically intake wise. BMW just uses SW to get more HP out of the intake tract. But I am not expert on this. That would be Marcel.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
It's his website that and a couple of dudes over in the "au naturale" engine section that got me double checking.

Early adaptors "modders" report noticeable gains even after simply swapping the intake manifold (with out programming the computer to use the DISA valves).

Looks like all N52 family of engines here in Europe received a 3 stage intake manifold. So, to a degree Marceau is correct. I am still surfing real OEM to double check.

However, the intake for North america unless you received a lower compression N51(ie...Bob Barker "complete with California emissions") is either a single stage (low output) or two stage (med output). Luckily, I received the higher compression engine.

ahhh sweet resonance!

Most of us blew off high school physics, for shame!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variabl...ntake_manifold

"A tuned intake path can have a light pressurising effect similar to a low-pressure supercharger - due to Helmholtz resonance. However, this effect occurs only over a narrow engine speed band. A variable intake can create two or more pressurized "hot spots", increasing engine output. When the intake air speed is higher, the dynamic pressure pushing the air (and/or mixture) inside the engine is increased. The dynamic pressure is proportional to the square of the inlet air speed, so by making the passage narrower or longer the speed/dynamic pressure is increased."

Last edited by smellthebeans; 09-25-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0