BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 VW GTI

Would you run these tires

Just got done with a track day over the weekend. Went to the tire shop to get the tires flipped. However both shops I went to said they wouldn't flip the tires for safety reasons. Would you run these tires on the track or just get new ones. The rears are fine, it's just the fronts.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

You'd just get half way through the next track day and have to withdraw when the shoulders came apart.

Do you track tire temps? Looks like the outside edge has blistered.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      06-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
You'd just get half way through the next track day and have to withdraw when the shoulders came apart.

I only monitor the tire pressure, but forgot after one session and went two before I checked em again. They were 40/41 when I pitted. I guess I'll have to skip July's track day and spend the coin on some new tires. My rears are still ok, so at least I just have to get the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo1701 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post

I only monitor the tire pressure, but forgot after one session and went two before I checked em again. They were 40/41 when I pitted. I guess I'll have to skip July's track day and spend the coin on some new tires. My rears are still ok, so at least I just have to get the fronts.
Check out Federal 595 rs-rr tires. Way cheaper than anything on the market and I've run them for 2 seasons now (12+ track days with success)
      06-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #5
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Check out Federal 595 rs-rr tires. Way cheaper than anything on the market and I've run them for 2 seasons now (12+ track days with success)
I'll check em out...after I burn through my Hancooks..I'll probably get the RS4s up front since my RS3 in the rear are still good. After they wear out I'll look into the Federal's.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

I wouldn't run those tires on the track. Looks like you need more front negative camber.
If you want fastest street tires, get RE71R. I tested them last weekend and was very impressed. Here is one lap from last weekend on these tires.
I had some overheating issues and was losing power, but cornering grip was so good, I could hang or overtake fast cars in the advanced group with instructors and club racers
      06-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
I wouldn't run those tires on the track. Looks like you need more front negative camber.
If you want fastest street tires, get RE71R. I tested them last weekend and was very impressed. Here is one lap from last weekend on these tires.
I had some overheating issues and was losing power, but cornering grip was so good, I could hang or overtake fast cars in the advanced group with instructors and club racers
Overheating tires or engine? I've been looking at these since my E82 has turned into a pure track / weekend car.
      06-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I only do 4-6 track days a year. So if a set of tires lasts me an entire year i'm good with that. Get a new set every spring, use em up, rinse and repeat. If the RE-71r lasts an entire year i'll be good. Last set of Hancooks lasted a year with 6 track days. Actually could of run em a few more but the tread was to a point where the car was scary to drive in the rain. Now it's not a daily, pretty much a to and from track car, but I've been caught in some down pours going to and from the track. There are 4 tracks in my area, all 3 to 4 hours away, so they have to be somewhat capable in the rain. We'll see how the RS4s do. Then I'll reevaluate when they're used up. I'm also looking into some Vorshlag camber plates also. I'm running Dinan plates with coilovers and M3 bits right now.

I still want to do 2-3 more track days before the year is up. So new camber plates might now be on the table to the spring. I'll probably need another set of track pads to finish out the year also. I'll be more mindful of tire condition next time i'm out there. I run intermediate or advanced depending on the event and club running it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
I only do 4-6 track days a year. So if a set of tires lasts me an entire year i'm good with that. Get a new set every spring, use em up, rinse and repeat. If the RE-71r lasts an entire year i'll be good. Last set of Hancooks lasted a year with 6 track days. Actually could of run em a few more but the tread was to a point where the car was scary to drive in the rain. Now it's not a daily, pretty much a to and from track car, but I've been caught in some down pours going to and from the track. There are 4 tracks in my area, all 3 to 4 hours away, so they have to be somewhat capable in the rain. We'll see how the RS4s do. Then I'll reevaluate when they're used up. I'm also looking into some Vorshlag camber plates also. I'm running Dinan plates with coilovers and M3 bits right now.

I still want to do 2-3 more track days before the year is up. So new camber plates might now be on the table to the spring. I'll probably need another set of track pads to finish out the year also. I'll be more mindful of tire condition next time i'm out there. I run intermediate or advanced depending on the event and club running it.

I think 6-8 HPDE events is about standard. I got 6 out of my RS3's and a years worth of spring/fall/summer driving. Those RS3's you have look like they were driven too hard in freezing temps... or bad tire pressures... or some skidpad action? That's the only time I've seen tires chunk like that. There is definitely a lot more meat on them. Cut your losses and move on to a fresh set of tires though for HPDE. You can get more street driving out of them until your next event for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
I think 6-8 HPDE events is about standard. I got 6 out of my RS3's and a years worth of spring/fall/summer driving. Those RS3's you have look like they were driven too hard in freezing temps... or bad tire pressures... or some skidpad action? That's the only time I've seen tires chunk like that. There is definitely a lot more meat on them. Cut your losses and move on to a fresh set of tires though for HPDE. You can get more street driving out of them until your next event for sure.
Well they definitely weren't driven in freezing or even near freezing temps. The morning was pretty cool with rain on and off. I keep my air pressure at 36-38. However during the afternoon I forgot to check my air pressure till the last session. It warmed up and when I pitted the pressure was 41/42. I was also pushing really hard. I have an ok amount of camber at -2.2 but more would help. So it was probably a combination of high air pressure, not enough camber and driving too hard. Lesson learned I guess.

Last edited by jafo1701; 06-28-2017 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Overheating tires or engine? I've been looking at these since my E82 has turned into a pure track / weekend car.
Not tires. They were great. I had dirrreza star specs on this car before and I have to say these are at least 1 sec. faster on this track.
You could see on that video how easily evo was walking away from me coming out of corners. I was running with reduced power due to the overheating issues.
In a cooler weather he would have no chance doing that to me.
      06-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Not tires. They were great. I had dirrreza star specs on this car before and I have to say these are at least 1 sec. faster on this track.
You could see on that video how easily evo was walking away from me coming out of corners. I was running with reduced power due to the overheating issues.
In a cooler weather he would have no chance doing that to me.
Have used both the RS3 and Star Spec on our Chump car. The RS3 are not forgiving to bad camber specs, they have a soft sidewall that like to roll over, we destroyed them in no time, started out looking like yours, we were down to chord not long after. The SS can take a beating and still look great. I know of several highly modded 1ers that use the SS and swear by them.

If you are just lapping, is a second slower more important than tire life? Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      06-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Have used both the RS3 and Star Spec on our Chump car. The RS3 are not forgiving to bad camber specs, they have a soft sidewall that like to roll over, we destroyed them in no time, started out looking like yours, we were down to chord not long after. The SS can take a beating and still look great. I know of several highly modded 1ers that use the SS and swear by them.

If you are just lapping, is a second slower more important than tire life? Just my opinion.
I was comparing star specs to RE71R
OP was talking about RS3
      06-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #14
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
OP was talking about RS3
Doh!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #15
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

OP was talking about RS3
How much Camber are you running? How many track days do you usually get out of the re71r? Also, what are your lap times for norcal tracks for comparison to my driving style? Sorry for the interrogation...

My 1er is officially a garage / track car only (hello Fiat 500e) so I'm beginning to care a lot less about saving a buck on tires (ie. Federals) although they're solid for the price.
      06-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How much Camber are you running? How many track days do you usually get out of the re71r? Also, what are your lap times for norcal tracks for comparison to my driving style? Sorry for the interrogation...

My 1er is officially a garage / track car only (hello Fiat 500e) so I'm beginning to care a lot less about saving a buck on tires (ie. Federals) although they're solid for the price.
My camber is F-3.2, R-2.0.
It was my first time using RE71Rs, but let me tell you, I was very impressed.
If I compare lap times, my PB on thunderbolt was 1.33.04 on hoosier R6 last year, my best lap time in april (much cooler conditions) on direzza star spec tires was 1.37.05. I did 1.37.45 on RE71R the other day, but only because of running with reduced power. If I had to guess, they are at least 1 or maybe 2 sec faster than star specs on the same track.
I have never driven on norcal tracks, so we cant compare lap times that way.
      06-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #17
jvb6806
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Is there any chance your fronts are cutting on your inner fender? How low are you? I have had tires peel once they are bald, but never with that much tread left, even if it is the shoulder. Feather from understeer sure... but never a straight looking cut around 1/3 of the tire or a gouge 1" from the shoulder.

And if a customer wanted me to put that set on their car I would also turn them down. It's a CYA thing.

Last edited by jvb6806; 07-01-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      06-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Tires are THE most important connections between your car and the road. Get new tires.

A friend of mine just participated in a HPDE... he was sliding all over the place. We pointed out that his tires were five years old!! He told us he thinks he still has another HPDE left in them. lol We all just shock our heads. Tires are very important in the overall scheme of things.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #19
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Tires are THE most important connections between your car and the road. Get new tires.

A friend of mine just participated in a HPDE... he was sliding all over the place. We pointed out that his tires were five years old!! He told us he thinks he still has another HPDE left in them. lol We all just shock our heads. Tires are very important in the overall scheme of things.
Worn/bald/dry/old tires are very different than a slight gash on track tires. I'd personally run them again (look at the tread depth compared to the gash depth) but it's up to you obviously!

Cheers
      07-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #20
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Worn/bald/dry/old tires are very different than a slight gash on track tires. I'd personally run them again (look at the tread depth compared to the gash depth) but it's up to you obviously!

Cheers
Ya, I'm playing it safe and getting new tires before my next track day.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #21
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Ya, I'm playing it safe and getting new tires before my next track day.
Yeah looking back at the picture of the gash it's hard to tell how deep it is
      07-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #22
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
Is there any chance your fronts are cutting on your inner fender? How low are you? I have had tires peel once they are bald, but never with that much tread left, even if it is the shoulder. Feather from understeer sure... but never a straight looking cut around 1/3 of the tire or a gouge 1" from the shoulder.

And if a customer wanted me to put that set on their car I would also turn them down. It's a CYA thing.
I'm not that low. 13" from center of the hub cap to top of the wheel well, plenty of clearance. I set my coilovers so there would be no rubbing under any condition. I've been tracking from 6 years and never have had that happen before, granted I'm driving harder then I ever have. When I get my new set I'll monitor everything more closely in between sessions.
Appreciate 0