BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Angel Eyes

I plan to replace my stock halogen tomorrow with the Depo V2 I ordered. Looks to be a straight forward install.

Only thing I'm having issues with is finding out precise instructions on coding them as daytime running lights, and coding out the amber running lights to only be used with the blinkers.

I have ProTool.....so has anyone used this for that function? I've seen plenty of people refer to doing it, but never specifics.

I assume it will be somewhere in the FRM coding module.

Thanks for sharing if you've done this before using ProTool. I know it and Carly both do it, but I ended up with ProTool because it has so many more features.
      03-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I installed them this weekend. In Pro-tool I was able to have them come on as DRL with the switch set to "Park" and not have the corners light up. And I also figured out how to turn the corners off when the headlights are on.

I just still haven't figured out a way to leave the switch in auto and have them come on as DRL. If I enable it in the program, it turns the halogen running lights on.
Attached Images

03-26-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

They look great so far. How's the output?
Rmtt8208.00
      03-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
They look great so far. How's the output?
Actually look pretty good. I will see about getting a picture with them on. Since I installed them, I have been through a pretty bad rainstorm, then washed the car. I was a little scared of hearing about condensation forming inside some of the older versions, but these have stayed crystal clear!

Install wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Actually one of the easier bumpers I have ever had to remove.
      05-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just bumping the thread for another member that was asking about these.
      06-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
So I installed them this weekend. In Pro-tool I was able to have them come on as DRL with the switch set to "Park" and not have the corners light up. And I also figured out how to turn the corners off when the headlights are on.

I just still haven't figured out a way to leave the switch in auto and have them come on as DRL. If I enable it in the program, it turns the halogen running lights on.

I find you in another thread haha I plan to do this as well (we might as well follow each other's progress ) as I bought my car with halogens instead of angel eyes (it was perfect in every other aspect save for that and the transmission.. AT, I plan to do the MT conversion at some point in my cars life (she's young)

However, I have avoided the Depo route as I have heard things about them (mostly negative).. because of this I am planning to save and do an OEM conversion. I never got to see anyone with Depo's so I never made my own judgement on these..

Did you get around to taking some pictures? It would be useful to see beam pattern/output.
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      06-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
I find you in another thread haha I plan to do this as well (we might as well follow each other's progress ) as I bought my car with halogens instead of angel eyes (it was perfect in every other aspect save for that and the transmission.. AT, I plan to do the MT conversion at some point in my cars life (she's young)

However, I have avoided the Depo route as I have heard things about them (mostly negative).. because of this I am planning to save and do an OEM conversion. I never got to see anyone with Depo's so I never made my own judgement on these..

Did you get around to taking some pictures? It would be useful to see beam pattern/output.

No pics yet....but I have all next week off. Plan on doing my header install along with my new cat-back exhaust. I will try to get pics then.

But the V2 models of these seem to be pretty reliable unlike the first version. I got them from Fish-Cakes on the auction site. I waited until they were having one of those 10% off coupons, and bought them.

But so far...no issues with anything. No condensation, and I can see just fine at night. I also plan to look more into the coding issue to have them on as DRL's with the light switch in automatic. Right now I still have to turn the switch to the parking light setting to have them on without the other bulb burning.

I'm using Pro-Tool, and I had read somewhere that they referred to them as "Standing Lights". But next week I will have more time to look into it.
      06-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
Hawda
Robert Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I also plan to look more into the coding issue to have them on as DRL's with the light switch in automatic. Right now I still have to turn the switch to the parking light setting to have them on without the other bulb burning.

I'm using Pro-Tool, and I had read somewhere that they referred to them as "Standing Lights". But next week I will have more time to look into it.
Were you able to get the lights all sorted out using Pro Tool? I'm installing my depo v2's tomorrow and I'm thinking about getting Pro Tool to code them. Also, is Pro Tool a one time purchase, or is it like Carly where you have to renew your subscription once a year?
      06-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawda View Post
Were you able to get the lights all sorted out using Pro Tool? I'm installing my depo v2's tomorrow and I'm thinking about getting Pro Tool to code them. Also, is Pro Tool a one time purchase, or is it like Carly where you have to renew your subscription once a year?
Pro-Tool is a one time purchase, and they release updates all the time so it keeps expanding. Plus it has great support.

I haven't had the time to sort out having the Angel Eyes operate as DRL's with the switch set to auto...but they do when the switch is set to "park lights".

But I did turn off the orange corners with Pro-Tool, coded a digital speed display, and a few other things.

My problem is that when I try to find time to go through every option, something else always pops up. I need to do this when my wife takes her annual "girl's only" trip!
      06-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is a quick photo I snapped with them on while loading my header tune.
Attached Images

06-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
Hawda
Robert Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Pro-Tool is a one time purchase, and they release updates all the time so it keeps expanding. Plus it has great support.

I haven't had the time to sort out having the Angel Eyes operate as DRL's with the switch set to auto...but they do when the switch is set to "park lights".

But I did turn off the orange corners with Pro-Tool, coded a digital speed display, and a few other things.

My problem is that when I try to find time to go through every option, something else always pops up. I need to do this when my wife takes her annual "girl's only" trip!
Haha fair enough. I'm definitely gonna go ahead and order pro tool then.
      06-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is a quick photo I snapped with them on while loading my header tune.
Wow they look very nice!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      06-25-2019, 05:07 AM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow they look very nice!
Thanks. Don't mind the appearance as the car was dirty. When I snapped that pic, the car had been sitting on jack stands outside for almost 4-5 days while doing my headers and exhaust.

I didn't feel safe doing it in the garage as my wife can tend to be clumsy at times and I didn't want her around the car while it was in the air.

But these lights have really impressed me from ease of installation to how the finished product looks.
      06-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow they look very nice!
Thanks. Don't mind the appearance as the car was dirty. When I snapped that pic, the car had been sitting on jack stands outside for almost 4-5 days while doing my headers and exhaust.

I didn't feel safe doing it in the garage as my wife can tend to be clumsy at times and I didn't want her around the car while it was in the air.

But these lights have really impressed me from ease of installation to how the finished product looks.
Even though this is the easier route straight PnP with some coding, I decided to go with an OEM Halogen -> OEM Euro Amber Delete Non AHL Bi-Xenon conversion.. I miss the eyebrows on this E82 that I had in my E60

Plus I found a shop near me that can do the job/actually knew what I was referring to! I'd do this myself but it's too involved for my experience
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      06-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even though this is the easier route straight PnP with some coding, I decided to go with an OEM Halogen -> OEM Euro Amber Delete Non AHL Bi-Xenon conversion.. I miss the eyebrows on this E82 that I had in my E60

Plus I found a shop near me that can do the job/actually knew what I was referring to! I'd do this myself but it's too involved for my experience
Hey...an upgrade is an upgrade the way I look at it.
      07-08-2019, 02:08 AM   #16
irontitan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford F-150, BMWX5

Not bad at all. It looks great.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      07-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #17
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bump for another member asking about them.