BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Smile Fooling around during autocross in the rain

It was hard not to...the wet pavement was begging for some slides and drifts! Fishtailing through the slalom, power oversteering into drifts, and handbrake slides for 180 degree rotation were the wayward activities of the day...

Then tries to complete a fast proper lap without sliding purposefully on the slippery surface. That was a challenge

Setup: stock tune, 235 square Hankook R-S3, Ohlins R&T, Quaife LSD, M3 arms/bushings, Vorshlag camber plates at -2.2, PFC-08 pads with RB stainless steel pistons + Castrol SRF.

Last edited by 1spirit; 02-14-2017 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: added setup info
Appreciate 2
1and11845.50
Rallim31.00
      02-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Rallim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Nice! Based on your other videos, looks like the Quaife locks up pretty decent? I've done the same thing in my M5 at a rainy autocross, loads of fun. I've got a car built for drifting, and I actually suggested that they try doing autocross style layouts for drifting, the gokart track like turns are a blast to drift.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
The Nebulizer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90ZCP M3 & e46 M3 (slicktops)

Wow - that's a lot of cones. And a hairpin? Ouch.
Looked like a fun time though.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallim View Post
Nice! Based on your other videos, looks like the Quaife locks up pretty decent? I've done the same thing in my M5 at a rainy autocross, loads of fun. I've got a car built for drifting, and I actually suggested that they try doing autocross style layouts for drifting, the gokart track like turns are a blast to drift.
The Quaife is decent but at this point I'd rather have a true locking diff with clutches for initiating and controlling power oversteer. The Quaife engages too softly and dare I say it is almost too smooth...which makes it great for the street. I never imagined being on the track or drifting in the 135i. Had no idea it would be this much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nebulizer View Post
Wow - that's a lot of cones. And a hairpin? Ouch.
Looked like a fun time though.
Yeah I put myself at a higher risk of wiping out a very large number of cones with one mistake. Fortunately that did not happen.

The hairpin was definitely painful to go through without the handbrake induced rotation. Without it, the car would turn dreadfully slow and super wide, which was made even worse in the wet. Turning with the handbrake reduced the time by about 3 seconds!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Rallim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spirit View Post
The Quaife is decent but at this point I'd rather have a true locking diff with clutches for initiating and controlling power oversteer. The Quaife engages too softly and dare I say it is almost too smooth...which makes it great for the street. I never imagined being on the track or drifting in the 135i. Had no idea it would be this much fun

Yeah I put myself at a higher risk of wiping out a very large number of cones with one mistake. Fortunately that did not happen.

The hairpin was definitely painful to go through without the handbrake induced rotation. Without it, the car would turn dreadfully slow and super wide, which was made even worse in the wet. Turning with the handbrake reduced the time by about 3 seconds!
Clutch types will wear out VERY fast with drifting. Took me 1 season to go through a fresh rebuild traklok before it was essentially an open diff again. Just fair warning
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallim View Post
Clutch types will wear out VERY fast with drifting. Took me 1 season to go through a fresh rebuild traklok before it was essentially an open diff again. Just fair warning
Yeah the wear factor is certainly something to keep in mind.

However the OS Giken Super Lock is the one I'd choose which I hear is pretty robust for drifting and racing. It has 24 friction plates and some other characteristics for enhanced durability. Surely more maintenance involved but seems worth it to me! Everyone I've met so far who has one loves it.

By any chance you do a lot of clutch kicking with the traklok?
Appreciate 0