BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
joeo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson Red 135i

Garage List
2009 BMM 135i  [9.50]
Roll bar options

What are some good options for a roll and harness bar for the 135i? Anything that is bolt in?

-Joe
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You don't want a roll bar, you want a full cage. Reason being your windshield can collapse and the harness will ensure that if you survive you will have a horrible neck / spinal injury. You also need a HANS and helmet to be safe with a harness and cage. Just use the car's stock safety equipment unless you're willing to go whole hog. If your concern is being thrown around while driving hard, you can use the "seatbelt trick": move your seat back, pull the belt tight and jerk it to lock. Then move your seat back into position and you'll be securely held in by the locked belt. It may take a couple tries to get the tension just right.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

I have not found a bolt-in roll bar that appears to be available. There were a few that appear that they used to be for sale but do not seem to be made any more. I am leaning towards having a 4-pt bar built for my car.

I am not particularly concerned about only running a 4-pt rollbar. First, modern unibody A-pillars are very strong. They are not perfect and cannot withstand all impacts but they are a good line of defense. Second, I always consider the "broomstick" test - if an imaginary broomstick from the top of my roll bar at the B-pillar to the firewall would clear my helmet (which it does - and the further back and lower you sit, the better it does), then the A-pillar could crumple into oblivion and you would still be fine.

Obviously this is to your own discretion, but I have been running hillclimbs for some times with rollbar (with large foot plates - this is important), fixed back seats, and harnesses mounted to the roll bar and feel comfortable to continue to run this.

But to your original question - I do not know of any bolt-in roll bars unfortunately.

Best of luck,
Mark