BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
No turning back (track focus)

I've been creeping through these forums since I bought my car new in 2009. I owe so much to the members here for questions answered and problems solved so I decided to put together some info on my build and hopefully answer some new questions for other members out there. Don't be quick to dismiss just because I am still running factory RSFB

Modifications:
Vorshlag camber plates (prev Dinan fixed)
Bilstein PSS10 (prev BMW PS)
M3 front arms
Stoptech Trophy BBK front and rear
Apex Arc-8 square (prev Arc-8 staggered)
Toyo R888R 245 square (prev R888 staggered)
WPG welded half cage/harness bar
OMP Champ-R
Schroth 2" 6-pt belts
Trailer hitch
LeRoy Engineering Paddock trailer
JB4
BMW Stage 1 flash (really old...)
BMW Perf Exhaust (free from BMW, long story)
BMW SSK (free from BMW, see above)
Charge pipe/BOV
Mishimoto OCC
LED reverse lights

Today I installed my OMP seats. Let's focus on this for today.

Adding a slider to the passenger seat (or driver's seat for the sake of conversation) for rear "access" is worthless. There is no useful access regardless and the install will quadruple your install time. Multiple drivers? Do it.

Otherwise OMP seats fit excellent with VAC mounts.

But what about the passenger occupancy sensor that lights up your dash? Macht Schnell won't work no matter what you see advertised from vendors. I spoke with them directly and unless you have a 2008 e82 you are SOL. Solution to this problem TBA (eBay, coding, I'll let you know what I find).

The seatbelt lights? I've got a solution for that. I harvested the factory receptacles and will mount them using the VAC lap belt bracket, using an eye bolt to for attachment. Harness lap belts will snap in right where the factory lap belt is attached. I will add pictures of this setup once I pickup the eye bolts this week.

Below are some pictures of my project (mobile upload is wonky, check back later if photos not instantaneously uploaded) including front suspension shock mount clearance running a square 245 setup, hitch install, etc.

I will keep updating with additional morsels of useful information as time passes, including more details on a square tire setup (which I found hard to come by in the e82 forums).
Attached Images

Last edited by Dr1; 09-02-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 3
spxxx1349.00
John_01232.00
Taskmaster2463.00
      09-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Can't see the pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Can't see the pictures
Yea I did a mobile upload and for some reason they are showing on mobile but not desktop.
Appreciate 1
spxxx1349.00
      09-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

But what about RSFB?

Awesome build, let's connect on options for the passenger airbag issue (I have a 2008 btw). Would love more pics of the cage!
      09-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #5
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
But what about RSFB?

Awesome build, let's connect on options for the passenger airbag issue (I have a 2008 btw). Would love more pics of the cage!
RSFB... I've had trouble justifying the labor (no lift, no air tools, tight driveway at home) without upgrading the rear diff at the same time.

Since you have a 2008 I'd buy the Macht Schnell unit for the occupancy sensor airbag issue. On sale at Turner right now like $70 off. Turner told me that a single module will also take care of both seatbelt sensors.

I'll post some more cage photos once my harnesses come in from HMS this week.

Also my prototype Paddock trailer is being road tested by Leroy Engineering this weekend. Below are some photos (possibly only viewable for mobile users based on my last post).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
fe1rx1390.00
      09-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
odj
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 135is + six other cars

Good to see another track build coming along.

Though... I don't get your thinking in regards to the RSFB. You can easily do the two piece Whiteline in your driveway with a jack and a heat gun. It's such a no brainer and makes a big difference in feel that I don't know why you'd bother with some of the other mods without doing that first.

Are you working with Leroy? Just saw their site last week. Pretty cool trailers. Having built my own I was interested in checking them out.
Appreciate 1
Dr182.00
      09-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post

Though... I don't get your thinking in regards to the RSFB. You can easily do the two piece Whiteline in your driveway with a jack and a heat gun. It's such a no brainer and makes a big difference in feel that I don't know why you'd bother with some of the other mods without doing that first.

Are you working with Leroy? Just saw their site last week. Pretty cool trailers. Having built my own I was interested in checking them out.
Thank you for the feedback on the RSFB. I suppose for the low cost and effort I should just try the inserts. Some people swear by them while others dismiss just as quickly.

I stumbled across Leroy Engineering when I was looking to fabricate my own. They have been a pleasure to work with. I am taking delivery of the first Paddock model at a discount to provide them some feedback. Rumor is that will sell a "some assembly required" Paddock model at a significant discount from the price listed on their site. They are shaking my trailer down this weekend and will be shipping it next week. They sent me those photos yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1 View Post
Quote:

Thank you for the feedback on the RSFB. I suppose for the low cost and effort I should just try the inserts. Some people swear by them while others dismiss just as quickly.

I stumbled across Leroy Engineering when I was looking to fabricate my own. They have been a pleasure to work with. I am taking delivery of the first Paddock model at a discount to provide them some feedback. Rumor is that will sell a "some assembly required" Paddock model at a significant discount from the price listed on their site. They are shaking my trailer down this weekend and will be shipping it next week. They sent me those photos yesterday.
I have some lightly used inserts if you want to try them before going full bushing
      09-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
RSFB... I've had trouble justifying the labor (no lift, no air tools, tight driveway at home) without upgrading the rear diff at the same time.
Many people have changed their RSFBs with just a jack and jack stands (and appropriate bushing pullers) - myself included. Given the work you have already put into your car the task should barely register on the difficutly scale. Inserts are a rediculous half-measure given your track focus. And given that there is no need to lower the rear subframe to change a diff, there really isn't any reason to link a diff change to an RSFB change.

Nice half-cage. Can you provide a link to the manufacturer?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #10
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Also my prototype Paddock trailer is being road tested by Leroy Engineering this weekend. Below are some photos (possibly only viewable for mobile users based on my last post).
Leroy makes some great looking trailers. Thanks for the lead.

http://www.leroyengineering.com/index.php
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I have some lightly used inserts if you want to try them before going full bushing
Appreciate the offer but I scooped some up on Amazon. I don't mind spending $45 for a taste of what a full bushing upgrade feels like.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Quote:
Many people have changed their RSFBs with just a jack and jack stands (and appropriate bushing pullers) - myself included. Given the work you have already put into your car the task should barely register on the difficutly scale. Inserts are a rediculous half-measure given your track focus. And given that there is no need to lower the rear subframe to change a diff, there really isn't any reason to link a diff change to an RSFB change.

Nice half-cage. Can you provide a link to the manufacturer?
http://wicked-performance.com/contact.html
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Do not forget to get yourself a solid oil cooler; if you have any kind of serious driving chops, you'll hit the ol' limp mode in no time. If you haven't yet, you for sure will at some point.
Appreciate 1
Dr182.00
      09-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:

This car really needs solid aluminum subframe bushings
Appreciate 1
Dr182.00
      09-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #15
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Quote:

Opinions like these? Very helpful in prioritizing "what's next" for projects this winter. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #16
odj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but given the concern over the level of work... it's super easy to do the two piece bushings. *shrug*
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #17
odj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Opinions like these? Very helpful in prioritizing "what's next" for projects this winter. Much appreciated.
I'm nowhere near as far along as you are and my list is loooooong already
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #18
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I like it so here's some constructive criticism

You need to strip the car. Taking out the back carpet and stuff doesn't qualify. The doors are really heavy too so you need a plan to replace the skins with composite (moderate difficulty or expensive) and windows with lexan (easy and inexpensive). The thread title is no going back, but it looks exactly like a car that could "go back" with a few hours of work. Uh uh.

Also why do you have a roll cage? These are pretty useless for everything including safety. Running a harness with that thing only works if you have a HANS because you can't rely on the stock airbag anymore. Do you even have a HANS? Guessing not. Also oops, what's this, the front of the car's roof can still crush in and paralyze the driver cuz he thought it would be cool to wear a harness with anti submarine. Do NOT run a rollbar with a harness!

Bottom line, stock belts and airbags are so much less unsafe than rollbar + harnesses it isn't even funny. Forget about that stuff until you have the balls to ruin the car with a full cage which, yes, you guessed it, means you should probably wear a helmet when driving. The proper setup is a full cage + harness w/ anti submarine + HANS + helmet.

If you're like most people, that will hurt your feelings at least a little bit since you've already done the rollbar, but it's best to have the correct information so you can change the setup for the better. You have the potential to make a really sick project. Don't settle for mediocre and poorly executed.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #19
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post

You need to strip the car. Taking out the back carpet and stuff doesn't qualify. The doors are really heavy too so you need a plan to replace the skins with composite (moderate difficulty or expensive) and windows with lexan (easy and inexpensive). The thread title is no going back, but it looks exactly like a car that could "go back" with a few hours of work. Uh uh.

Also why do you have a roll cage? These are pretty useless for everything including safety. Running a harness with that thing only works if you have a HANS because you can't rely on the stock airbag anymore. Do you even have a HANS? Guessing not. Also oops, what's this, the front of the car's roof can still crush in and paralyze the driver cuz he thought it would be cool to wear a harness with anti submarine. Do NOT run a rollbar with a harness!

Bottom line, stock belts and airbags are so much less unsafe than rollbar + harnesses it isn't even funny. Forget about that stuff until you have the balls to ruin the car with a full cage which, yes, you guessed it, means you should probably wear a helmet when driving. The proper setup is a full cage + harness w/ anti submarine + HANS + helmet.

If you're like most people, that will hurt your feelings at least a little bit since you've already done the rollbar, but it's best to have the correct information so you can change the setup for the better. You have the potential to make a really sick project. Don't settle for mediocre and poorly executed.
It is clear by assumptions you made that your post had no intention of being "constructive."

I run fixed back seats with 6 point harness and a HANS device.

If I choose to have a 3 point belt to maintain street legality for driving to the track, with factory front airbags, that is my choice to make.

Move along.
Appreciate 5
      09-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It is clear by assumptions you made that your post had no intention of being "constructive."

I run fixed back seats with 6 point harness and a HANS device.

If I choose to have a 3 point belt to maintain street legality for driving to the track, with factory front airbags, that is my choice to make.

Move along.
Yeah, I've never seen a "constructive" post from him - it seems that he has a tendency to put people down regardless of the situation. I trust our A-pillars more than the million other HPDE-ers in Miatas and S2000s with 5/6pts + Hans.
      09-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

My post was extremely constructive. I'm sorry you were abraded by the tone.

So you don't believe in full cages in a car that's track focused..."no turning back" even. Your problem. That's good that you have a HANS, but it will not save you when the roof collapses on you from the front. Just because tons of other people don't have good safety setups shouldn't have any bearing on what YOU choose to do. Why does it matter if you think you're "better off" than some car you consider unsafe when you can still make your setup safer fairly easily?

Now, what say you about the full stripping?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My post was extremely constructive. I'm sorry you were abraded by the tone.

So you don't believe in full cages in a car that's track focused..."no turning back" even. Your problem. That's good that you have a HANS, but it will not save you when the roof collapses on you from the front. Just because tons of other people don't have good safety setups shouldn't have any bearing on what YOU choose to do. Why does it matter if you think you're "better off" than some car you consider unsafe when you can still make your setup safer fairly easily?

Now, what say you about the full stripping?
PM me for the full stripping. The boys call me the Meat Masseuse.
Appreciate 0