BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #23
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post

And I'm stuck with the unfortunate preminition that there'll be fanboys on this site comparing VIN numbers to see who got the the first one, quickly moving on to hyperactive exchanges about lowered suspensions, performance exhausts, aero kits and 20" mags.

I really hope that this site is able to stay true to the interests of real BMW enthusiasts and that the quality of discussion stays reasonably high.
Sorry spud, but I will be one of those people carrying on "hyperactive exchanges" about lowered suspensions, different wheels, performance parts, etc...You gotta realize, even "real BMW enthusiasts" enjoy modifying their cars
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #24
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rThor234 View Post
I personally think that BMW appeals to young drivers because of their excellent marketing. The E87 will be appealing to teens because it is one step closer to that ///M car they all dream of. The price is a lot less than that $50,000 M3 that they want, and it still has that amazing Roundel badge.

I'd say that E30 car you own conveys a good degree of accomplishment and maturity. But at the same time it definitely keeps that 'youthful' party image.

And to the last statement, as you said, to each his own.

Well I'm glad to see this e87 car is bringing people of all ages and backgrounds together. Thats neat eh?

I believe that the price will be $26-32,000 depending on engines, trim, accessories, etc. Except in my case because BMW is going to cut me a sweet deal on a year old Euro E87 120d and sell it to me for $20,000 so that they can make room for a 2008 model. :biggrin:
Yes, I hope that this car does not get a bad stigma, but really, it wouldn't matter much to me as long as I liked the car. This world is too short to care what other people think of your ride IMO :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #25
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I thought I'd generate some reaction by dumping on the mods.

But seriously, of course I can appreciate a good set of aftermarket wheels as much as the next guy, and if the cash was burning a hole in my wallet, tighter springs and more horsepower are never a bad thing.

And I'd never dump on someone for modding their car - in fact some of the modded 1ers in pics on this site are awesome.

So, of course let the discussions go where they may. I just hope we don't lose site of the car for the mods and other stuff... 'cause it should be a beautiful car right out of the box...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #26
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
And whats with the ragging on those who get these cars from their parents. Its really not their fault.
I've got no issue with the giving and receiving part of it. I was gifted a nice ride when I was 18 and I'd do the same for my kids. Just so long as the value of it doesn't go unappreciated and the world stays in perspective...

No offence intended to all the poor rich kids. I know it can be hard sometimes... :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #27
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Modders being driven from 2Addicts site...violating tinted windows decree.
See- 2007 "Anti-Rice Laws".

Forgive me, for I have tinted.
Also lusted after cars not in the BMW model range.

penitance- 4 Hail Chris Bangle's and one Reithofer prayer candle for every blasphemy.

:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #28
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

Modders being driven from 2Addicts site...violating tinted windows decree.
See- 2007 "Anti-Rice Laws".

Forgive me, for I have tinted.
Also lusted after cars not in the BMW model range.

penitance- 4 Hail Chris Bangle's and one Reithofer prayer candle for every blasphemy.

Haha..im rolling on the floor over here. now that was some funny stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #29
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Eventually hopefully there'll be plenty of enthusiasts here that either like "modding" or staying stock, or somewhere in between. But no matter what, everyone will be welcome here. Hopefully we won't see one camp dumping on the other for their preferences :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #30
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

:respekt:

BTW, to show I'm a good sport, thought I'd share a couple of shots of my current car...

Regrets if my comments made anyone feel unwelcome...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #31
Brookside
Major
Rep

Truly an awesome...........
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #32
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

So, of course let the discussions go where they may. I just hope we don't lose site of the car for the mods and other stuff... 'cause it should be a beautiful car right out of the box...
I agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #33
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I've got no issue with the giving and receiving part of it. I was gifted a nice ride when I was 18 and I'd do the same for my kids. Just so long as the value of it doesn't go unappreciated and the world stays in perspective...

No offence intended to all the poor rich kids. I know it can be hard sometimes... :biggrin:
Haha. No problem man. :respekt:
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #34
ibn
Rep
Drives:

nice looking car spud. it's wild but cleanly down. and the shaved rear door handles are a nice touch.

on the issue of younger people buying the 1/2 series coupe. i am a 22 year old college student. i not rich by any means but i'm more well off than most people. although i can see certain 16-21 year olds driving the car, it seems more of a entry level car for people starting their careers, 22-26 year old, an affordable option of a bmw. i personally would prefer a 3 series but it'll be many years before i can afford one. so i look forward to a entry level bmw to help figure out if i want to become a lifelong customer of the company.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #35
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Hello everyone, my first post here.

I see there is already some rice-hating going on.

But I don't think this car will be priced low enough to attract a lot of ricers anyway. Decently equipped MINI Cooper S can be had for around $25K, so BMW is very unlikely to price the base 1er under $25K.

My optimistic guess is that if the base model is 125i, it could start at as low as $26K. This is because the A3 2.0T, to which it will be very close in HP numbers, starts at little under 26K. Of course BMW usually does charge at least a grand or two more than Audi for competing models, but I'm hoping that the 1er would be priced very aggressively to not repeat the lukewarm sales of the A3.

If the base model is 128i, I doubt it will be below $28K. I don't think the 1 and the 3 will have more than $4K difference engine for engine, and the 328i starts at $32K. Price differential of $4K is of course my pure guess, but it seems reasonable in terms of keeping the 1 not hot enough to steal sales from the 3 but also not grossly overpriced like the A3 3.2 Quattro.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #36
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibn View Post
nice looking car spud. it's wild but cleanly down. and the shaved rear door handles are a nice touch
Thanks, but just want to underline that it's not acutally my car...:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #37
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Welcome, spinzero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Hello everyone, my first post here.

I see there is already some rice-hating going on.
Hate is such a strong word...:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #38
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, but just want to underline that it's not acutally my car...:biggrin:
Your secret is safe with us... :wink:
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #39
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I think the description of the target buyer being somewhere in their 30's and a young professional is on point. The 3er caters to a slightly older demographic and a little more well established.

Be careful with the "my-daddy-bought-me-a-Bimmer" sentiment, a lot of kids you see driving these cars are college kids busting their butts trying to make the lease payments just to "keep up with the Jonses", attempting to the live the life of a "baller". - Sad really, and I know kids like this at my University, some of them have even suggested I do the same, luckily the concept of delayed gratification has become a fixture in my thinking.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #40
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
I think the description of the target buyer being somewhere in their 30's and a young professional is on point. The 3er caters to a slightly older demographic and a little more well established.

Be careful with the "my-daddy-bought-me-a-Bimmer" sentiment, a lot of kids you see driving these cars are college kids busting their butts trying to make the lease payments just to "keep up with the Jonses", attempting to the live the life of a "baller". - Sad really, and I know kids like this at my University, some of them have even suggested I do the same, luckily the concept of delayed gratification has become a fixture in my thinking.
Tell me about it! For awhile I worked in the non-profit sector in DC.
I walked while the K-Street lawyers and lobbyists would pass by in their bimmers and Audi's.
Here's to delayed gratification!
Welcome Deutsch...I've read your comments over on GCZ (if you're the same guy) and found myself agreeing with you many times.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #41
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I walked while the K-Street lawyers and lobbyists would pass by in their bimmers and Audi's.
Welcome Deutsch...I've read your comments over on GCZ (if you're the same guy) and found myself agreeing with you many times.
Ditto Brookside, I've read his posts over there also. :respekt:
      06-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #42
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I think it is a slippery slope to go down when we start talking about this kind of stuff. I mean, who am I to have an opinion on who can have a Bimmer? As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier. I am not one of those people who want to see less around so that I feel more special. There are a lof of trucks and SUVs that run in the same range as my 3er--so its not that "special" of a range anyway.

The 1er, by its very nature, is going to attract more people than ever to the BMW brand. That's something that anyone wanting one will have to accept....

That being said, I too agree that I hope the 1er doesn't become a "kid's" car. I am interested in it because I am excited that there is a BMW soon to be available that fits the classic description of the brand.

Just my opinion. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #43
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Ditto Brookside, I've read his posts over there also. :respekt:
Yes I'm am he and he is me! Thanks for the welcome guys!!!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #44
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I think it is a slippery slope to go down when we start talking about this kind of stuff. I mean, who am I to have an opinion on who can have a Bimmer? As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier. I am not one of those people who want to see less around so that I feel more special. There are a lof of trucks and SUVs that run in the same range as my 3er--so its not that "special" of a range anyway.

The 1er, by its very nature, is going to attract more people than ever to the BMW brand. That's something that anyone wanting one will have to accept....

That being said, I too agree that I hope the 1er doesn't become a "kid's" car. I am interested in it because I am excited that there is a BMW soon to be available that fits the classic description of the brand.

Just my opinion. :biggrin:
You sum it up well.
What sort of haunts me, maybe because ( probably) I'm older than some of you, is the how BMW's image has changed over the years from being a car that was financially out-of-reach for many to a manufacturer that tries very hard to be many things to a diverse customer base with as little dilution as possible to the integrity of the brand.

I think a lot of us applaud BMW for a return to it's roots (about time!). Maybe BMW will start to cut some of the fat off of the 3-er too.
Appreciate 0