BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #23
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Here : BMW OEM 178 black rim
Front : 17x7 205/50 ET47
Rear : 17x7.5 225/45 ET47
With Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-3 Runflat.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...36&fg=15&hl=12

Recommended by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i ///M Dinan S2;)

Lightbulb

I Quickly browsed through the thread and I would like to give my feedback. I have run several sets of tires while owning the 135i. I am currently running Dunlop Winter SP something or another...But here's the thing. I also had an ///M5 which I recently traded and I also owned a 1st Gen CTS-V a couple years back.

I see many pointing to the tires. And its certainly a piece of the puzzle. Sounds like your problem may also be from not having an LSD in a small, high torque, rear drive car. These cars have alot of torque, and with my Dinan tune and snow tires, its very easy to see the cars immediate weakness of not having this equipment on board. After all, the 135 M sport is a sport coupe, not a sports car.The M5 and the V both were equipped with special rear differentials (LSD) which put power down to both wheels evenly instead of only mostly one. Its one of those things you dont see, but you can feel. All M cars have these differentials. The rest of us do not.

You would really have to be foot in to be experiencing this phenomena, but with fresh snow tires and cold weather, you could be losing traction much sooner, a very dangerous game your playing if your not anticipating it. Traction control does a very good job of reigning in and doing so quickly as the car gets squirmy. Laser Alignment is also always a good idea with new tires and driving very easy for the first couple hundred miles.

Last edited by FactoryFast; 12-06-2011 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
experiencing this a bit with my arctic altimax tires now... they are new and at highway speeds even in 6th gear if i accelerate at 30-40% the traction control goes on, same on on ramps or long sweeping curves
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #26
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

I was getting ready to post a thread about this exact problem and just saw this thread. I just had the same tires put on.

Continental ExtremeWinter Contact, 205/50/17

At first, I thought it was also very mushy. It was at 32 PSI so I pumped it up to 35 PSI. It helped a little but then...

When I was cruising along on the highway and put the pedal to the metal in 6th gear, the traction light came on and stayed on for as long as I kept my foot to the floor. The ridiculous thing is, my Super Sports didn't even do this in this winter cold.

I took a few videos. Give me a bit to see if I can upload them. It's really weird behavior.

4th Gear Pull -

5th Gear Pull -

6th Gear Pull -

Last edited by Suhb; 01-28-2015 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #27
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i MT

Reviving this oldie thread...

What was the final outcome for you, did the traction control let off after tires worn themselves in? Seeing exact same thing myself now with these tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135iMike View Post
experiencing this a bit with my arctic altimax tires now... they are new and at highway speeds even in 6th gear if i accelerate at 30-40% the traction control goes on, same on on ramps or long sweeping curves
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Also, winter tires above the freezing point will be horrid. Super soft sidewalls and deep tread depth makes for a bit of a white knuckle ride. But you will be glad you have them when the temps hit -20. Performance winters at that temp will be more like an all-season.

This is why when I used to drive my 1er year round, I ran three sets of tires. Summers, good winters, and a set of no-seasons for around the freezing mark. Winters did not go on till around the -10 mark.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #29
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

There's something funky with Generals, they just replaced Nokians and traction control has been going off like mad and killing power, even at higher speeds. I'm fairly certain I'm not spinning wheels at 70 in 6th, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #30
Dmak
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Here is my little input. I have 224/45/17 arctic altimax with studs on my 135. Those same set of tires were on my wife's wrx for one winter. Those tires grip like mad on her car. After we sold the car, I installed them on my 1 and it drives like shit. Tires are not worn. Tried different pressure. Checked alignment. Can't seems to fix it. It does feel better with dsc off one click. I also have a mfactory lsd in my car too and car is pretty much fbo. I also been driving rear wheel drive vehicle in winter for the past 10yrs(rx8, e46 330ci). I just think that the car has bad traction with the winter tires as well as the extra power from the cold winter air. If I drive on a road with a bank, car pretty much just slightly driving side way the whole time
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #31
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

I've had Arctic Altimax tires on all my recent cars for winter (2x WRX's, TT Quattro, wife's Sentra) and absolutely loved them, hence the reason for getting them for the 135. I was driving for season and a quarter on Nokians and car was solid (until I hit a pothole at night and one is gone).

At this point I'm praying that DTC is so touchy because Altimaxes are brand new, it's really hard driving on them without turning DTC off (1 click), otherwise cruise keeps shutting off too. So counting miles at this stage, ugh.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #32
Dmak
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

sl8anic, let me know how those work out for you. Like I said, those grip like mad on my wife's wrx, but it don't even feel like half the grip on mine
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #33
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

I second your assessment of their performance on WRX. Subaru is pretty good with their AWD setup, so the combo was absolutely killer (like a tank)

I'll keep you in the loop on how they do after 500 miles or so on 135is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmak View Post
sl8anic, let me know how those work out for you. Like I said, those grip like mad on my wife's wrx, but it don't even feel like half the grip on mine
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #34
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

When it come s to the traction control light coming on, you guys are all missing the most important factor. This was brought up on page one of this thread but pushed aside.

With the 135i you've got a stock setup with staggered tire sizes and all the nannies are calibrated to those circumferences. You now go to a square setup with a size that doesn't match any of the original tire sizes (talking about the 205s) and all of a sudden warning lights come on. The sensors just aren't seeing the rotational speeds they are expecting and they throw up the red flags. Throw in in cold temps (lower traction), some snow, open diff, or any combination of these and it doesn't take much input from from right foot to upset the nannies.

This is my first winter with my 135 and I put 225 square snows on. Yes, my traction light comes in at all stupid times for no reason but it's not due to wheel spin it's due to a difference between expected rotational speed and what the computer sees.

Solution: turn traction control off.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #35
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

I respectfully disagree, to an extent.

I had square setup using Nokians - I had no issues to speak of. Yes, traction control would come up once in a blue moon but it was NOWHERE near like what I'm seeing now with new tires (identical size to what was just replaced). I'd say incidences of DTC intervention went up 200% right after swap.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #36
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
I respectfully disagree, to an extent.

I had square setup using Nokians - I had no issues to speak of. Yes, traction control would come up once in a blue moon but it was NOWHERE near like what I'm seeing now with new tires (identical size to what was just replaced). I'd say incidences of DTC intervention went up 200% right after swap.

You have that right.
But you are wrong.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339594
I went to extremes. And it does seem that the DSC is learning. The car feels better sometimes, most times now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #37
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

OK, lol.

I simply described my observations and experience where my car was completely fine on a square setup until I blew out my tire last week and replaced all four with a dimensionally identical set. Now car's behavior is completely different.

I'm attaching manual snapshot that clearly indicates allowed use of square setup for M+S tires/wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
You have that right.
But you are wrong.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339594
I went to extremes. And it does seem that the DSC is learning. The car feels better sometimes, most times now.
Attached Images

Last edited by sl8anic; 01-08-2017 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #38
Dmak
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

While I know the dsc does learn, here's the kicker. I run 255 sqare with my summer set up. And 225 sqare with winter. When ever I swap between winters and summer, I always reset the tpm. ( canadian model does not have sensors inside each wheel and vehicle uses rpm from each wheel speed sensors to see the difference between wheels to look for a low pressure) so from my understanding, each time I reset my tpm light it should also help the car relearn the rpm of each wheel/tire. Now I do not know if it is the same for US model or models that runs tpms.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #39
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I did 205/55/R16 on my 128i with the Continental Extreme Winter Contact and they are super squishy! I even see the TC flash when I get on the throttle in 5th or 6th gear on the highway which is a bit shocking. Cornering is horrid, sidewalls roll over very easily. Honestly, it's a bit ridiculous and I can imagine in a 135i the TC issues when accelerating are even worse. Personally, I did not expect them to be this way but I've never been on a full on winter tire. With all that being said, snow/ice performance is just amazing and I am very impressed.

Overall, I can deal with them on the dry but I won't be getting tires that narrow again. I'll most likely step up to a much wider 17" performance winter tire because the highway maneuverability is just dangerous with these. Oh well, live and learn! lol
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #40
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
I've had Arctic Altimax tires on all my recent cars for winter (2x WRX's, TT Quattro, wife's Sentra) and absolutely loved them, hence the reason for getting them for the 135. I was driving for season and a quarter on Nokians and car was solid (until I hit a pothole at night and one is gone).

At this point I'm praying that DTC is so touchy because Altimaxes are brand new, it's really hard driving on them without turning DTC off (1 click), otherwise cruise keeps shutting off too. So counting miles at this stage, ugh.
Hang in there. They get better. I have had Altimax Arctics on my 135 for 4 years -the same set! They last long. Mine lit up the traction light a lot when new but really improved after about 3k miles. Got around it by always pressing going to DTC when the tires were new. They really are great tires for snow and ice traction. They also have very little road noise.
Appreciate 0