BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

(Passenger side airbag access?) Rattle - Passenger-side dash airbag cover

Summary: Any way to get under the passenger-side dash airbag cover without removing the whole dashboard? Perhaps through the glovebox, or removal of lower dash pieces?

I've been dealing with this particular rattle for a while now. I have the indented airbag cover on the passenger-side dash that so many of us have, and I've narrowed the source of the noise down to that airbag cover. It's a harsh, plasticy noise that I'd really like to get rid of.

If I put any pressure on the airbag cover, the noise goes away. If I press hard on it, the noise goes away for a day or two, depending on temperature (cold = more noise). However, I'd really like to fix this for good, and I'm thinking a little bit of felt tape slid under the cover may do the trick.

There are multiple possible access points - center vent (remove), side dash cover (by A pillar) removal, or glovebox - but these are all blocked off with plastic, rightly so I'm sure. This is a terrible noise and I'd like to avoid having anyone remove the whole dash, possibly causing even more noise. Might there be a way to get under there?

Thanks!

Last edited by NYHoustonman; 11-11-2013 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep

Bump for topic change! Really only looking for an easy-ish way to get under the passenger-side dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I've got a similar rattle coming from that area, so I'd like to know any easy cure also.
      12-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry for the delay, I missed this notification.

I took the car to a local service center and they suggested that the vinyl is likely peeling from the plastic airbag cover underneath in that area, and this gels with what I've seen. If I leave the car in the sun to 'bake,' the noise goes away (although now I get some creaking over bigger bumps from the same area, from all the movement).

There doesn't seem to be an easy fix. Remove upper dash -> apply adhesive. Removing the upper dash is a huge pain in the ass, as far as I know. Blah.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep

Finally, a happy update. To those experiencing this rattle - and I suspect it's more than just me - it seems to be due to loosening of the airbag over time. A re-torque of the nuts holding it in place fixed the problem for me.

Reference, including how to access the area under the dash:
http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php...rattle#p138631
Appreciate 0