BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #23
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

That has to be the most restrained narration I've ever seen in an M car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ 345 View Post
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #24
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
So I am checking out Cars and Coffee Carlsbad just to see what it's all about. I happen to really like all sorts of cars, new and old, European, Asian and American. I am am checking out a Jaguar convertible and notice a plaque inside of it that says it is a real replica of a record setting car. By real, they mean it was done by Jaguar with a real Jaguar. The plaque said it went 141 miles per hour, probably in the 50s The guy next to it asked me if I had any questions. I had heard him talk to another guy about how it's not his car. He takes care of it for a car collector. Anyway, he says he uses cars and coffee as a destination to drive the cars and I said me to. He asks what I drive and I say 1M. He blurts as if he's been holding it back for years... "M2 is better!" Then he backs up slightly and says, "I heard M2 is better."

It was just strange. I never said 1M this or that, just blurts it out. I'm a little puzzled and he goes on that his buddy wants a 1M and he can't understand why because M2 is better... He says oh well and shrugs.

Anyway, it was such a weird way it happened and since I had a long drive home I thought about it. After an hour I got some perspective.

What is better? That is the crux of the whole problem on these forums! We all have different definitions of better! Most think the 1M interior is outdated, especially the No Nav version, but I find it beautiful and unique. Some guys think launch control is better because you can go faster. Some guys don't find any joy in the computer driving the car to achieve that fast time. Some consider a car that can go around the track faster as better.

Still if you balance it all, the M2 is probably better by popular opinion. I think it is aesthetically better looking despite the rear. It is quicker around the track and is easier to drive fast. It is not better for me because after I add up what I like and apply weight to each item, I really love the simplicity of the 1M cockpit, especially mine. I love what it says about me owning a car that was only offered in manual and you never see them on the road.

What made this encounter with the Jag guy so interesting is that he was complaining about the odd shifter and and a few things about his Jaguar, yet that Jag is probably worth 2 or 3 1Ms! I didn't think about it but now I wish I would have said, the 1M is better than your Jaguar. I can do 141 mph without breaking a sweat, stop is half the distance and probably hold twice the lateral Gs of his ride. So would that make the 1M better....probably yes! But not really. His Jag was a special car for it's time just like the 1M was a special car for its time that brought BMW credibility with us harder core car nuts. So yes the M2 is better because it's faster, more stable...then again not really.
Well said
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #25
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Lol ... Let's not all forget that the 1M was the platform that launched the M2 and with 5 year of additional "M" development you would expect some "advancement". Not necessarily "better" by definition ..... Personally, as we all know, with a few mods several of our cars are "better" performing than the M2 -

Nacho, you just keep going to Cars and Coffee and flaunting your love .....
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #26
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Well said
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:42 PM   #27
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

I've never driven the 1m or the m2 (duh), but I know for a fact that I would never buy an m2. As negative as it sounds I think the m2 is hideous, but I find the 1m to be a gorgeous piece of art, and it's a limited production model which makes it even more special than the m2.

Notice how that's my *personal opinion* without driving either car.

Sounds to me like he's one of those people who respond to anything car related with "But the GTR is better!1!!11".
      03-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #28
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

So true Nachob! Personal opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 02:50 AM   #29
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSCanada View Post
I've never driven the 1m or the m2 (duh), but I know for a fact that I would never buy an m2. As negative as it sounds I think the m2 is hideous, but I find the 1m to be a gorgeous piece of art, and it's a limited production model which makes it even more special than the m2.

Notice how that's my *personal opinion* without driving either car.

Sounds to me like he's one of those people who respond to anything car related with "But the GTR is better!1!!11".
I had a gtr, and yes it is not better, in my own opinion
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #30
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
I had a gtr, and yes it is not better, in my own opinion
What is it about the 1M that you prefer?
Appreciate 0