BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
OC_128i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 128i

Help with SES error codes

My car: 2009 128i auto transmission with 86k miles.

Last week, leaving for work in the morning the display between the gauges lit up with Service. A few days later SES light comes on and hasnt turned off. I had some time this morning so stopped by Oreilly since it was the closest, worker came out with a bosch obd reader and scanned for codes. For some reason he scanned twice.

1st scan only code P140a popped up. I was able to google this (smog pump part replacement)

After 1st scan he says, "let me scan 1 more time" so i said sure go ahead...

2nd scan threw out codes P140a, 11755, 10752, 37827.

When I went inside he said he did not know how to look up the codes n asked me to wait for the manager. 10-15min later manager came in n when we asked him to help define the codes, manager said, "oh our system does not look up the codes, just google it" so i said ok.. thanks n left. On my way home, saw an autozone, stopped by n asked them for a scan.

Autozone used a much smaller generic looking obd reader tool, only scanned once. Now the obd reader used at autozone doesnt tell u any codes once the scan is finished. They ask u to come in, they plug the reader into their computer, they enter year, make and model and current mileage of the vehicle. Few seconds later the screen shows p140a, a brief description and what part it recommends. This is where I was told to replace smog pump. I asked how much is the part, employee said they do not carry this part.

I also asked them to try looking up the other codes oreilly's scan came up with n the codes came back with nothing in their system.

So now im confused... are the additional codes that were only numbers an anomaly? I tried googling them but nothing concrete came up for the 128i.

Any experience, knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The last three codes do not appear to be real OBD trouble codes. At least I can find them in a generic list or BMW specific list. The first one is some kind of secondary air pump. I didn't think we had one of those but maybe I'm wrong.

Main reason to comment is you can read and clear codes yourself for the investment of about $20. I use an android app called Torque with a OBDII to bluetooth adapter. The app is $5. Works great and also allows you to see other data on the OBDII port.

When I see a code that doesn't seem like something that will get worse, I clear it and see if it comes back. I've had the "gas cap code" for several years at this point. I think I need to replace a $100 part but having that system inoperable doesn't hurt anything.
      05-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Looks like you are in California so you would have a secondary air pump if your engine is a n51. Mine is a n52 so I do not have one. There are a couple pretty good youtubes of how to remove and replace this part and also one where they were able to free it up and get it working. I think they are worth checking out. I found them by googling bmw secondary air injection system.
      06-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
OC_128i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 128i

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0