BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
varsity
Private
Rep
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car

Dent in the C-Pillar

An errant softball hit my car last week, and I'm not sure if this dent can be popped out. Do any of you know if the C pillar is accessible from the inside so a Dent Wizard guy can pop out the dent?

So far I have one estimate for $980 (!!), which includes painting the entire side of the car. Ideally I'd like to get it fixed in a less invasive method for less money. The damage is definitely not through the paint; I can scrape away the residue with my fingernail, leaving unmarred paint beneath.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 04:01 AM   #2
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

OUCH! Man let me talk to my dent repair friend and let you know.
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Was the softball from an organized league? If so, they may have insurance to cover the damage. It must be nice to play softball this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
varsity
Private
Rep

I had it fixed by a local dent repair guy, who pulled it out from the outside. Apparently there are perpendicular brackets inside the C pillar, so it can't be popped out from the inside. He had all sorts of special tools to pop the piece out, and it took him 45 minutes. He said that it was especially difficult because of the size and location of the hit.

After pics:

Miami people: PM me for his phone number; the guy does excellent work.

Miro: Thanks for the offer.

Lester: I didn't witness the actual hit. But yes, the softball came from an organized league at a public park (Brian Piccolo in Broward), and the park manager said that he'd file a claim and the county would pay the repair. But when I called the county's risk management department, the guy there said that the county isn't responsible. Lots of runaround from local bureaucracy.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
varsity
Private
Rep

Another photo:

The pillar is 90% as good as new, and the vast majority of people won't notice the mar. Just disheartening to have body damage on a 3-month-old car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsity View Post
I

Lester: I didn't witness the actual hit. But yes, the softball came from an organized league at a public park (Brian Piccolo in Broward), and the park manager said that he'd file a claim and the county would pay the repair. But when I called the county's risk management department, the guy there said that the county isn't responsible. Lots of runaround from local bureaucracy.
It looks like a good repair. No one is ever going to notice, except you.

Here, organized softball leagues are responsible to obtain proof of insurance certificates before the city issues the league playing permits. However, the insurance only covers car damage to cars that are driving by the park.

If you are parked nearby, then it is up to the league to pay the damages out of their own pockets, for car or home damage. We used to warn anyone about to park their car within foul ball territory not to park there, unless they understood it was at their own risk. I used to be involved in organized softball, and our league budgeted $1,000 per year for insurance and glass damage claims.

Those days are long over for me, I played fastball twice per week for 28 years. But after awhile, the chronic hamstring and knee problems began to affect golf and tennis, so I packed it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Do you have a straight on pic to see whatever damage is left over? Looks like they did a great job nonetheless....

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

dang, i would have almost hoped that it broke a window vs that part of the pillar..
      11-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
N54tt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BLUE on BLACK

try this!!!! it really works!!!!!
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379...ith_airduster/