BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

12-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #67
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyjr15 View Post
as i said this would have all been avoided by just removing your dp's, and i know what your going to say because you said it already why pay money once a year to uninstall and install your dp's? Well the simple answer is because the 2-4 hundred bucks you spend on that could save you thousands down the line if you retain your warranty and something actually goes wrong. I hear you and understand that you had a problem before, and if you really did you should have been more persistant in getting your claim fixed, you should not have a modded a car that had a fuel problem and than expect to take it in modded with no cats, and an o2 sim wired into the ecu and expect bmw to fix your fuel problem.
I don't pay money to have my parts installed. I do all my own work. Even if I had removed everything, the tampering code was already set.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #68
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

i understand that but leaving the parts on did not help your case.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #69
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Let's face it, tuning a Turbo motor is tricky business and BMW is running around the galaxy with shields up.
      12-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #70
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Hiya,

I've made quite a few mods to my car (suspension, brakes, wheels, LSD etc) but I have made a decision not to touch the engine until the warranty period expires because I don't want to take the risk of voiding my warranty on the engine.

In my opinion when you modify any standard part you are running a substantial risk of voiding the warranty if something goes wrong which might concievably have any connection with the modification. I don't blame BMW at all for acting like this - they are a commercial enterprise after all - not a charity!

There will obviously be occasions when BMW hide behind this excuse when in reality the mod has not caused the fault and then in my opinion it should be down to the owner to prove that the mod did not cause the fault.

A modern car engine is a really complex system and the manufacturer has to balance various (sometimes mutually exclusive) factors such as longevity, gas mileage, performance, emissions, cost etc. whereas most tuners are only concerned with extracting extra performance.

I understand why owners would remove mods prior to taking their car for service but if I did mod my engine I would be honest about it to my dealer and if he turns down my warranty claim I would be a man and accept the position. If I felt that my mod had absolutely nothing to do with the problem then I would fight my corner.

Basically, if you're worried about warranty just leave the engine standard until after the warranty period.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #71
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
I really don't see the point in getting all over him about bringing his car in with the mods on it.....I've seen thread after thread of "fanboys" bragging about how great their mods are and how they brought their car in to the dealer with this mod and that mod and they didn't have any trouble! Well guess what......mark my words......we're going to be seeing a LOT more threads like this in the future, at least those who man up and report it to try and help out others like the OP did. Two things I see in this post:

1. The mods probably didn't cause the fuel pump to go, it's a common issue with the N54. That being said, I can see BMWs stance on it from their side as well. I would just hope they could do something for him considering all of the problems others have had with the fuel pump.

2. The manipulation code was set in the system already. Horse is out of the barn, and guess what guys, it probably is out of the barn for you too next time you go in. Whether or not you pull the mods off, sooner or later BMW is going to say F you, the code is there, you modded the car, we're not paying for your whateverisbroken.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #72
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The problem started BEFORE any mods were installed.
Why didn't you resolve the problem before installing anything?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #73
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Sorry to hear man At least now you can mod with peace of mind
      12-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #74
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Why didn't you resolve the problem before installing anything?

Once again

The problem only shows up on long trips. I had gone over a month without going far enough for it to show up. I thought I had gotten bad gas, or something like that.

I put the SSTT and DPs on, and then on my next road trip it did the same thing. I took the SSTT back off and it still did it. It was after that I figured out it was an issue that only showed up after the car was running for an extended period, at highway speeds, with half a tank of fuel or less.

The symptoms are a miss, followed by reduced power and a CEL. I've tried shutting the car off for several minutes, and as soon as I start it back up, the car idles rough, and doesn't run right. Filling the tank solves the problem every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #75
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

it doesnt matter. something acts funny, YOU FIX IT. thats using your brain.
      12-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #76
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep

Man, that sucks! I'm sure the day will come when I will have to bring my car to dealer, and I'm not looking forward to it.

My current thinking is that I'd run it past some outside mechanics first, so that I can get a sense of the problem and perhaps get it fixed without going to the dealer at all. If it's a major problem, then the mods may come off. But, I really can't see spending $$$ to remove and reinstall mods. At some point I'll probably throw in the towel...trade it in and buy the twin-turbo M3 instead (assuming the timing works out right) :biggrin:

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 03:15 AM   #77
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I know all about MMA, but do you really think I'm going to win a case where I've alted the emissions systems on the car to increase performance, and now have a misfire code set for cylinder two? BMW has a very easy out on this, and that is that the aftermarket products have altered the operating parameters beyond what they designed for. MM was intended to allow consumers to use aftermarket oil filters and such things, not to modify the car for additional performance.

It's a no-win situation IMO.
Plead insanity. The devil made you do it. They pretty much have you by the tail unless you have some creative aces up your sleeves. Look around, there has to be some good independent bmw mechanics near you. Best of luck.

The only modification I am considering are BMW performance parts from the manufacturer. Not going to chance it after BMW threw in 6year/100k warranty on my car for free. And always talk in third person, "This friend of mine installed a JB3 and he asked me to ask this question for him. It's definitely not me, I swear ;-)"
      12-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #78
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
6year/100k warranty on my car for free
Sick!
I have 2 years (1 1/2 left)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #79
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

I really feel for you.

I am just about to fit the Riss Racing intake kit (all of it) and hope ths will not have the same effect as I plan to leave it on when it goes for servicing etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #80
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^Like the old song says "Play at your own risk"
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #81
Pirate
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

I understand the need for speed and modding all too well. Today's computer run cars are so complicated and the automobile companies so strict about aftermarket performance parts that it's no longer fun for me to go all out. I will not risk voiding my warranty and any changes that I do will not include computer tuning (Dinan excluded) nor removing the cats.

Due to current economic conditions this is a great time to buy a used simpler to mod car. You may find one "race ready" at a car event or better yet at an auction for less cost than replacing a N54. This is the way I'd go so as not to depend on tuners for everything.

However, I am not going to pass judgement if you differ in opinion.
We are all 1ADDICTS.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #82
ML
Change for a Nickle?
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, Mazda truck

Jeremy, did the dealer still do the 15k mile service on your car? I'm just curious as to whether or not they were only refusing to do the warranty work or if they were refusing the 15k service as well, i.e., only the warranty's been voided or the warranty's been voided along with the free maintenance?
      12-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #83
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Jeremy, did the dealer still do the 15k mile service on your car? I'm just curious as to whether or not they were only refusing to do the warranty work or if they were refusing the 15k service as well, i.e., only the warranty's been voided or the warranty's been voided along with the free maintenance?

Initially the service guy tried that, and that's where things got a little nasty. I told him it was my understanding that the service is something that's included in the purchase of the car (which it is), and has nothing to do with the warranty. I was prepared to raise hell if he wanted to stick to that position, but he backed off of it and agreed to do it, and look at the other issue I was having (even though they did a half assed job of it).

The included service is something they advertise as a benefit of buying a BMW, and they really don't have any right to deny it, short of you altering one of the service items with something aftermarket, like changing the air filter for example.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #84
ML
Change for a Nickle?
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, Mazda truck

Thanks
      12-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #85
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I've been reading through all your threads Jeremy and I feel for ya. Since BMW has a good case against you here, you're probably doing the the right thing in not dwelling on it too much. In time like these, your career is more important and car issues can always be fixed with money. I'm sure you can find (or already know) a trustworthy mechanic who might actually save you money on the long run. Plus, you no longer have to play this cat and mouse game with the dealer any more.

My concern is that if someone gets in a similar situation, decides to trade-in the car for another BMW, is BMW going to resell this as a certified pre-own even though they voided the warranty themselves in one instance already? sleezy bastards...

I think my only performance mods for the first 4 years will just be the BMW performance exhaust and suspension tweaks after reading all this.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #86
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I was thinking the same thing soupy, I garauntee if they void your warranty and you decide to trade in, they will rape you on the trade in bcuz it doesn't have any warranty. Then the next week it will be on their lot with either the original warranty or as certified pre-owned.

Jeremy, you should have pulled the car and told the dealer they will never ever get a penny of your money for anything. Then go to an independent or different dealer. It is my personal philosophy to never support businesses that don't support you.
      12-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #87
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I was thinking the same thing soupy, I garauntee if they void your warranty and you decide to trade in, they will rape you on the trade in bcuz it doesn't have any warranty. Then the next week it will be on their lot with either the original warranty or as certified pre-owned.

Jeremy, you should have pulled the car and told the dealer they will never ever get a penny of your money for anything. Then go to an independent or different dealer. It is my personal philosophy to never support businesses that don't support you.
:w00t:

I considered the trade in aspect of this whole thing when it was happening. It's the most compelling reason for fighting them honestly. The thing is, I usually keep a car about three years, and I put above average miles on them. That means that by the time I sell it or trade the warranty will be up anyway.

If I decided to fight them, it would mean I would have to stay in town any time I had to meet with someone (attorney, arbitrator, manager, ect.) and that's hard for me to do right now. Besided that, I make enough money in a week on the road to cover the expense of the fuel pump repair, and I'll do it myself anyway, so all I'll have to pay for is parts.

As for the dealer, I agree with you completely. The rest of the service was horrible anyway. The car is covered with swirl marks from where they washed it. It looks like it was wiped down with a dirty shop rag. It also smelled like gas inside the car for several days, and they didn't resolve the other issues I took it in for. I would have been pissed even without the claim denial, and the satisfaction survey reflects that.

I'll still use them for the normal service (while it's still free) but that's the end of it. There isn't another dealer close enough to me for that kind of stuff.

FYI, that's D Patrick BMW in Evansville.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #88
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

First thing that I will do is to take it to other dealer in town and listen to what they say. Some dealer may fix it under warranty terms. Good luck in your case.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread