BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Isofix passenger seat (option 470), official retrofit DIY

A question to all the new US 1m owners:

Does the US 1M come with an option to deactivate the passenger seat airbag in relation to child seat install. Does the roof switch unit (at the base of the interior rear view mirror) have an indicator light or deactivation switch?

If not is one of you considering a retrofit or (perhaps have you done a retrofit on a 1 series?). I would be interested to hear your stories and opinions. Thx

Pictures on the subject are very appreciated

Last edited by eeghie; 07-03-2013 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Changed thread title, retrofit manual and partslisting added futher in this thread
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Child seats fit just fine in the back seat, just took my little ones for a ride!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrin View Post
Child seats fit just fine in the back seat, just took my little ones for a ride!
I'm sure they do, the front seat is just faster to reach

Do you mean no deactivation option standard?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The isofix switch to turn off the passenger side airbag is on the passenger side of the dashboard - when you open the door, you can insert the metal key (from the keyfob) to deactivate the passenger side airbag. I think this is a euro only option - I'm not 100% sure though. Here it is on a 135i...

Name:  IMG_0267.jpg
Views: 44081
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0265.jpg
Views: 22057
Size:  96.2 KB

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The isofix switch to turn off the passenger side airbag is on the passenger side of the dashboard - when you open the door, you can insert the metal key (from the keyfob) to deactivate the passenger side airbag. I think this is a euro only option - I'm not 100% sure though. Here it is on a 135i...
Dackel
THX mate, So does this come with the roof switch unit right side red light indicator " passenger airbag deactivated" (see right side switch in the attached image)

A470=Yes versions of the US Roof Switch Unit are outlined on REALOEM, so I would expect this option to be somehow existing on the US 1 series??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I have no idea. I did not even know there is a light up there telling you the pass airbag is deactivated.

I was at a BMW one series car show - over here (Germany) and saw this car with the switch. I asked the owner what that is for and he told me about the ISOFIX option. I have never seen a US car with it. But that means nothing.

Doesn't BMW have special child seats that also deactivate the pass airbag? Or maybe that is only for over here. ???
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't BMW have special child seats that also deactivate the pass airbag? Or maybe that is only for over here. ???
I did read that in the US 1 series manual: It claims the seat occupation sensor now deactivates the airbag automatically:
- if heavy enough/weight pattern-> seat occupied-> airbag on.
- if child seat -> Airbag deactivated -> Roof Switch Unit light will warn.
- if no occupation -> No airbag activation and no warning light.

Can anybody confirm?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
The US cars do not have the switch. there is an indent in the dash where your switch is located. As mentioned above, the light in the console indicates with the airbag is deactivated automatically based on sensors in the seat. It will even deactivate if you are sitting in the seat wrong.

In the early years of passenger airbags when they were all single stage deployments and didn't have passenger sensors, you could get a waiver to have a switch installed. I don't think they given the waivers in the last 10 or 15 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
The US cars do not have the switch. there is an indent in the dash where your switch is located. As mentioned above, the light in the console indicates with the airbag is deactivated automatically based on sensors in the seat. It will even deactivate if you are sitting in the seat wrong.

In the early years of passenger airbags when they were all single stage deployments and didn't have passenger sensors, you could get a waiver to have a switch installed. I don't think they given the waivers in the last 10 or 15 years.
I can confirm this... No switch, just an empty recess where the switch would be...

I did try the car seat (not the BMW child seat, just a plain Recaro child seat) on the front and when you clip the seat belt a light comes on the overhead console that says" passenger airbag disabled". If I lean/put enough weight on the child seat the light goes off; my guess is that it is triggered by the OC3 sensors on the seats...

I still feel safer keeping the child seat on the rear seat although the front is easier to access... My kids safety is worth the hassle
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
I can confirm this... No switch, just an empty recess where the switch would be...

I did try the car seat (not the BMW child seat, just a plain Recaro child seat) on the front and when you clip the seat belt a light comes on the overhead console that says" passenger airbag disabled". If I lean/put enough weight on the child seat the light goes off; my guess is that it is triggered by the OC3 sensors on the seats...

I still feel safer keeping the child seat on the rear seat although the front is easier to access... My kids safety is worth the hassle
Thx for the responses!

concluding that automatic deactivation based on weight and roof unit warning light are fitted on the US 1Ms. Can someone pls check if the bottom two LATCH/Isofix latches are on the passenger seat. You should be able to see these from the back (a strip at the joint of bottom of the seat and the rear of the seat. And by sliding with your fingers between the rear and bottom of the seats, both at the left and right side of the seat a rectangular (1"x1.5") rod is mounted. See part # 5 in the attached image (US seat)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

having completed the option 470 passenger airbag deactivation retrofit successfully on a US car (works just the same on any global E8x 1 series), this is the quick DIY:

Parts needed for 1M LHD (possibly need to order from Europe):
- 61310400036 Nachrüstsatz Abschaltung Beifahrerairbag (= retrofit kit)
- 61319196886 SCHALTER (switch, non key specific)
- 61136909058 HALTER (frontseat ISOfix bracket, you will need to go underneath and switch (for 1M OEM seat bottoms 52108052250) or modify your upholstery to install this!)
- 07147144879 SCHRAUBE (need 2 of these to fix previous line item ISOfix bracket)
- Non NA cars will need a new roof unit with on the right side a passenger airbag deactivation light (choose the version that supports your existing sunroof and communication options and additional option 470 = yes).
If you're very crafty, you can make the hole for the switch yourself with a large hole drill and a file, or order the precut side panel
- 51459124926 Cover, dashboard, right SCHWARZ (check RealOEM for other colors and RHD cars)

Check the attached BMW DIY manual, and don't forget the coding: Add option 470 to your VO/FA and program at least the ABG module (better: code car)

EDoc1593860304 German Retrofit Option470 IsoFix 61310400036.pdf (because of the advanced seat occupancy detection and roof unit light, US cars will have cable F pre-installed)

(Moderators, as this DIY suits all E82/E88/1series E8X, feel free to copy/move it to the general DIY section)

Last edited by eeghie; 07-03-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie
Quote:
Dackel
THX mate, So does this come with the roof switch unit right side red light indicator " passenger airbag deactivated" (see right side switch in the attached image)

A470=Yes versions of the US Roof Switch Unit are outlined on REALOEM, so I would expect this option to be somehow existing on the US 1 series??
How do you remove this piece!!!!!

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
these are the service instructions for all panels involved. For the Roof switch center you'll need two hard plastic cards (~old credit cards) and insert them from the front at the show locations.
Name:  Roof Centre Remove.bmp
Views: 10097
Size:  2.48 MB
Name:  E82 Side Panel Remove.bmp
Views: 9913
Size:  2.09 MB
Name:  BMW Airbag Deactivation Switch.bmp
Views: 9835
Size:  1.12 MB

let us know if you have questions or if you got it working.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie
Quote:
these are the service instructions for all panels involved. For the Roof switch center you'll need two hard plastic cards (~old credit cards) and insert them from the front at the show locations.
Attachment 952199
Attachment 952198
Attachment 952197

let us know if you have questions or if you got it working.
That's awesome! I just need to get that piece down to replace all the LEDs in it. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll try this a little bit later to see how it works. Thanks a lot man!

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
That's awesome! I just need to get that piece down to replace all the LEDs in it. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll try this a little bit later to see how it works. Thanks a lot man!
That's a related DIY, I would be interested in the after pics pics of the bulbs and part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
I did read that in the US 1 series manual: It claims the seat occupation sensor now deactivates the airbag automatically:
- if heavy enough/weight pattern-> seat occupied-> airbag on.
- if child seat -> Airbag deactivated -> Roof Switch Unit light will warn.
- if no occupation -> No airbag activation and no warning light.

Can anybody confirm?
I can confirm that it works that way. When my 10 year old (weighs about 55lb) rides up front, I get the warning message that the passenger airbag is inactive. No such message when an adult is riding shotgun.
Appreciate 0