BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

1SMC Steering Feel?

Hello all!
After reading the articles released so far and seeing the mention of the new steering that has me wondering - How different will this feel from my 2008 135?

I very much like the feel of the 135 in the road feel aspect. The e92 M3 doesn't seem convey as much road feel. (Maybe I'm just not driving fast enough for it?)

It seems the different articles had different opinions on the feel.

Motortrend - Servotronic steering retuned for the 1 Series M Coupe relays plenty of road feel with ideal levels of effort.

Edmunds/Insideline - It's just a pity the newly engineered electromechanical system is so short on feel.

To me the steering feel of my 135 is one of the things I like alot.

So does anyone have any thoughts on how the electronic steering system will feel vs the 08 135's? (Pure Rack and Pinion?)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Well, if anything we see a good example of just how subjective something like steering feel is.

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

There is nothing but a test drive that answer this question
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Well, if anything we see a good example of just how subjective something like steering feel is.
I tend to like a lot of road feel/force conveyed back through the wheel.
The M3 seems like it's driving on a billiards table in comparison to the 135 to me. (Very nice, don't get me wrong... just not what I want from a sporty car.)
The Cayman s is very similar steering feel wise, if maybe a slight bit more tame. (Only test drove, so not too much experience with either the M3 or the Cayman s.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madozu View Post
There is nothing but a test drive that answer this question
Do you think it would be fair to test drive a Z4 as a comparison between my 135 and what the steering will feel like on a 1SMC?

I'm worried that a test drive will be unavailable as the cars will likely be presold by the time they hit the local dealer.

Last edited by theblackangus; 10-10-2010 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

^ Good question, but steering feel is not only based on the technology used, it's also dependent on steering geometry, weight distribution, Servotronic-mapping and many more aspects.

Maybe test-drives/reviews of production cars can give more accurate information. But Drillslinger is right, everything that has to do with "feel" is subjective.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madozu View Post
^ Good question, but steering feel is not only based on the technology used, it's also dependent on steering geometry, weight distribution, Servotronic-mapping and many more aspects.

Maybe test-drives/reviews of production cars can give more accurate information. But Drillslinger is right, everything that has to do with "feel" is subjective.
Agreed, that's why its hard to go by reviews on stuff like that.
And Agreed that the "feel" is very much dependent on other variables.

I'm not really sure what the difference they are describing as "little feel on center" is between my car and the new 1SMC. I'm curious if that is what I am describing the smoothness the M3 has.

Do the current 135's or 128's have this new steering system?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Run flat tyres have any bearing here?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Run flat tyres have any bearing here?
A contributer at some level for sure!

I wonder if the 1M will have RFT's?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Correct me if I'm wrong but if they DO put RFT's on the 1M it'll be the first ///M to have them (and for a reason )

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
E82dmg
Rep
Drives: 135i

test drive it or go to the dealer and be a window shopper lol. and as for putting RFT tires on the M1 that would be humiliating.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82dmg View Post
test drive it or go to the dealer and be a window shopper lol. and as for putting RFT tires on the M1 that would be humiliating.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82dmg View Post
While I will try to do that as I stated above, I'm worried that a test drive will be unavailable as the cars will likely be presold by the time they hit the local dealer.

Besides the thread is really to try and help potential initial buyers understand what maybe getting, and if there is something else in the BMW line up that would have a comparable feel. I found it strange to see two very different descriptions of the steering feel from magazines and was interested to see what others thoughts may be.

Some of us are hoping that the 1M is just what the doctor ordered and may want to pre-order to be sure of getting one. Hence understanding the potential trade-offs in feel between the two cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Hello all!
After reading the articles released so far and seeing the mention of the new steering that has me wondering - How different will this feel from my 2008 135?

I very much like the feel of the 135 in the road feel aspect.
With all due respect, the steering feel of the 135i is not one of its strong suits. It is better than many current BMW's (perhaps the E9X M3 among them), but BMW has really lost its way with respect to steering feel and feedback in the last decade (E46 M3 was considerably worse than E36 M3 which was worse than E30 M3).

Modern BMW steering is very accurate and linear (if you avoid the Active Steering option) without any slop, but it is way too numb.

My guess is that the 1M is better in this way than the 135i, but still poor enough to warrant a comment.

Unfortunately, future 1-Series may become even worse as the fuel-savings of Electro-mechanical steering spreads further through the lineup.

Porsche used to have phenomenal steering feel and theirs has become worse lately too and next year's 991 (next generation 911) is expected with Electro-mechanical steering too...
      10-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #14
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
With all due respect, the steering feel of the 135i is not one of its strong suits. It is better than many current BMW's (perhaps the E9X M3 among them), but BMW has really lost its way with respect to steering feel and feedback in the last decade (E46 M3 was considerably worse than E36 M3 which was worse than E30 M3).

Modern BMW steering is very accurate and linear (if you avoid the Active Steering option) without any slop, but it is way too numb.

My guess is that the 1M is better in this way than the 135i, but still poor enough to warrant a comment.

Unfortunately, future 1-Series may become even worse as the fuel-savings of Electro-mechanical steering spreads further through the lineup.

Porsche used to have phenomenal steering feel and theirs has become worse lately too and next year's 991 (next generation 911) is expected with Electro-mechanical steering too...
Tho the 135 isn't a 911 or Lotus Exige by any means there are few affordable cars (that I driven) that come anywhere close to that level of feeling, and usually those that do are lacking on power. The 135 is better than most and I remember driving a 128 and thinking blah on the driving feel, so Im hoping the 1m isnt a step backward towards that.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but if they DO put RFT's on the 1M it'll be the first ///M to have them (and for a reason )
X5 and X6M do have RFT's already. Anyway, that won't happen on the 1M.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0