BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #23
evo1guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i

The issue I ran into is the handle itself. It slots into the cable mechanism with little plastic tabs that twist off in cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #24
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo1guy View Post
The issue I ran into is the handle itself. It slots into the cable mechanism with little plastic tabs that twist off in cold weather.
Interesting. A lot of the problems on this thread are related to that little box where the two cables are "connected" together.

I opened up where the cord connects in the handle and looks pretty solid to me. Are you talking about the circle wheel looking thing within the handle correct?
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
evo1guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i

Yah the little wheel that the handle attaches to. Apparently doesn't like to let you open the hood in -25c haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #26
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo1guy View Post
Yah the little wheel that the handle attaches to. Apparently doesn't like to let you open the hood in -25c haha.
Haha. Maybe you pulled a little too hard that day! I have no clue what the process is in fixing that part. I met up with Andrey_GTA and he explained to me how to fix the little box and nothing about the inside of the lever.

Maybe just a quick search on RealOEM will show you what you need to get that job done.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #27
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Anyone know of a DIY to replace the front half of the cable? I have the cable and did a quick search and can't find anything on how to replace the cable from the latch to the junction box. I hope it is self explanatory when I go to take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #28
PawlyGuNNz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM 6spd MT N54

Help, my hood release is not working, I can hear the rear cable pulling the junction box, so it seems like it may just be the front cable . I tried to manually open latch through kidney grill but am having trouble. I don't want to break the grill , but can't figure out how to pop open the latch/hook.
      07-21-2014, 03:08 AM   #29
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawlyGuNNz View Post
Help, my hood release is not working, I can hear the rear cable pulling the junction box, so it seems like it may just be the front cable . I tried to manually open latch through kidney grill but am having trouble. I don't want to break the grill , but can't figure out how to pop open the latch/hook.
Same thing happened to me.

Anyone know how to pop the hood thru the kidneys? I see a latch on the left side and a latch on the right side. I can move the latch on the left, but can't budge the one on the right. What should I be doing here?
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #30
PawlyGuNNz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM 6spd MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
Quote:
Same thing happened to me.

Anyone know how to pop the hood thru the kidneys? I see a latch on the left side and a latch on the right side. I can move the latch on the left, but can't budge the one on the right. What should I be doing here?
Stick long flat head screwdriver through kidney grill or remove kidney grill on drivers side, you will see the spring mechanism, inbetween that is the latch that catches when you drop the hood down you have to push it to the right which will pop the hood
      06-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #31
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82

nevermind, figured it out

Last edited by n54pete; 06-09-2015 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #32
smellyborrelli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54pete View Post
nevermind, figured it out
Guys I can't get this to work! Been shoving a screwdriver in there for 2 hours lol. What am I doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #33
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
Stick long flat head screwdriver through kidney grill or remove kidney grill on drivers side, you will see the spring mechanism, inbetween that is the latch that catches when you drop the hood down you have to push it to the right which will pop the hood

push it to the right = push it towards the drivers side? my mechanism doesn't move hardly at all.

looking at through the drivers side grill i see this little catch

so I need to move the bottom of the catch to the right or the top of the catch to the right? it looks like it wold rotate clockwise to me.

figured it out...but will actually share -
shove the screwdriver where the red arrow is. I had a large screwdriver and did not have to pull the grill. if you push that piece far enough to the LEFT (passenger side of car) the latch at the green arrow will rotate right (clockwise, towards driver).

random net picture that shows the latch mechanism.

Last edited by Xyloft; 03-17-2016 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #34
Spacegray1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i conv

Anyone else do this? Seems easy enough but I can't seem to execute. Seems to be too big of an angle for a straight screwdriver. In the pic above I assume you push the piece the cable goes into to the left (passenger side) and the latch on the right releases. Again the straight screwdriver seems to hit the bumper before the head can get up into the latch mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #35
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

I have this problem not sure what the issue is. A 2013 128i convertible Limited Edition and pulling the latch it is super tight so thanks for the help on where to push to get the hood open. I hope I can get it popped open to fix whatever the cable issue is.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #36
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

I used Xyloft's pic and suggestion and mine popped right open. Sure enough the cable must have stretched about an inch. I pulled the cable going to the inside the interior latch out if the black plastic housing with the ferrule that sits in the housing sitting outside back about 1/2 inch. This gives me the tension missing on the cable. I used a couple of zip ties to hold the ferrule outside the housing so it would not pull through. Will test this afternoon but seems to me like the cable that stretched is the one from the black junction to the hood latch.
Will report back if this works. It is Sunday and once I order the cable will be days or a week before it comes in I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #37
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

I posted a short term workaround that worked for me in this thread. Basically, I used a small worm type clamp to attach the two cables together with less slack. My cables stretched enough that it worked for me.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1#post24167609
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #38
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Usually, it is not the cables. The hood latches themselves are seizing, and not returning properly.

You have to lubricate the latches. It should be done every oil change. Just a little spray with something like Wurth HHS2000 will keep it working like new.

If the latches get too stiff, you are using too much force on the cable system, and something is going to break, either the pivot inside the car, or where the cable splits.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #39
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Usually, it is not the cables. The hood latches themselves are seizing, and not returning properly.

You have to lubricate the latches. It should be done every oil change. Just a little spray with something like Wurth HHS2000 will keep it working like new.

If the latches get too stiff, you are using too much force on the cable system, and something is going to break, either the pivot inside the car, or where the cable splits.
You're right - stretched cables are a result and not the root cause of this issue. I also sprayed into the front cable sheathing, so I WD40'ed the latch and the sheathing at the same time, and one or both of those things helped a lot. It's never been easier to pull the hood open. I bought the car used so I never realized how little force it could/should take to unlatch the hood.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #40
HelloNewman
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm ready to push this fucking car over the side of a cliff. Just paid $$$ to have the entire hood cable assembly replaced and it's already failed barely a year later.
      02-02-2024, 12:04 PM   #41
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
I'm ready to push this fucking car over the side of a cliff. Just paid $$$ to have the entire hood cable assembly replaced and it's already failed barely a year later.
Late reply, but Im right there with you. 3 days and a mobile mechanic and nothing can be done to unseize the passenger side lock mechanism, despite me paying to have it fixed 2 years ago.
As soon as this is fixed, the car is going up for sale. Im done with owning any Mini out of warranty ever again. FYI, Mini uses same hood latch system as most all BMW's, just with the hood latch bars oriented horizontally rather than front-to-back. It's the same on the X1, X2, etc.
Appreciate 0