BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
Trooper2
Rep
Drives:

Thats really awesome!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #24
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I wait for the first test to see if this electronic diff works. If it s shite and i can not put in a mechanical diff then i leave the 135i in the showroom for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
fishbulb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Doesn't DIRECTLY say that the xenons are not standard on the 135. After having them on both MINIs, they are a no brainer.

And, sadly, no mention of any cloth options for the interior. I hope they make it to the US.

-jac
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #26
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

One thing to consider is what type of LSD. The OEM that comes in M cars is clutch type that works on wheel spin. Quaife is a Torsen and works on torque. The wheel does not spin. One wheel will eventually slip because it is not a locker, but when it is trying to do it's job and transfer torque to the wheel with grip, it isn't spinning. When the LSD finally reaches it's bias limit, it would be my guess that the wheel would spin and the electronics would kick in. Not sure what the electronics would do for power on over steer with a Quaife.

It is unfortunate that a LSD isn't an option, but for me, I would take a $1500 Torsen over a $2000 (?) clutch type any day.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #27
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
One thing to consider is what type of LSD. The OEM that comes in M cars is clutch type that works on wheel spin. Quaife is a Torsen and works on torque. The wheel does not spin. One wheel will eventually slip because it is not a locker, but when it is trying to do it's job and transfer torque to the wheel with grip, it isn't spinning. When the LSD finally reaches it's bias limit, it would be my guess that the wheel would spin and the electronics would kick in. Not sure what the electronics would do for power on over steer with a Quaife.

It is unfortunate that a LSD isn't an option, but for me, I would take a $1500 Torsen over a $2000 (?) clutch type any day.
FWIW...
I installed a Quaife on an Infifniti.
With the stability control ON, the electronics kicked in before the Quaife could work it's magic.

With the stability control OFF, (partial off, not 100%) the Quaife was great.

I've found that BMW's system is generaly less intrusive, so chances are the Quaife would work fine.
- still... not sure I'd want to be the 1st guinea pig. :tongue:
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #28
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

^^^ Cool. That is closer experience to what we are talking about than what I have had.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #29
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I don't get what all the fuss is with this internal product bulletin. It's simply the press release for Canada that is distributed internally a day prior to the actual press release date.

And whoever posted it up originally can get into a LOT of trouble for doing so from BMWNA.
      07-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #30
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
FWIW...
I installed a Quaife on an Infifniti.
With the stability control ON, the electronics kicked in before the Quaife could work it's magic.

With the stability control OFF, (partial off, not 100%) the Quaife was great.

I've found that BMW's system is generaly less intrusive, so chances are the Quaife would work fine.
- still... not sure I'd want to be the 1st guinea pig. :tongue:
That's the issue though... It specifically states this new electronic LSD is only active when you completely turn off DSC. That's exactly when you would want the LSD working.

I know lots of people with the current DSC and and aftermarket LSD installed with no issues. The LSD really only works when you disable DSC on those cars, because if you leave DSC partially or totally active, the DSC acts faster than the LSD.

On the 135i, the new system becomes active whe you turn off the DSC+.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #31
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
That's the issue though... It specifically states this new electronic LSD is only active when you completely turn off DSC. That's exactly when you would want the LSD working.

I know lots of people with the current DSC and and aftermarket LSD installed with no issues. The LSD really only works when you disable DSC on those cars, because if you leave DSC partially or totally active, the DSC acts faster than the LSD.

Yeah, I agree 100%
It will boil down to the reaction time of the system,
& how invasive they have it tuned.

One thing for sure.... it's not going to help the life of the rear pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #32
MMM111
Australia
Rep
Drives: 06 118i MSport & E90 330i

Aussie's to get the 135i only....

135i Coupe heralds BMW's hottest One

Jez Spinks, drive.com.au, 02/07/07

• <LI class=print title="Print this Article" style="DISPLAY: inline">

BMW's new 1 Series Coupe will come to Australia next year with the company's award-winning twin-turbocharged six-cylinder. But has an M1 been ruled out? By JEZ SPINKS.

BMW 1 Series

Related Photo Galleries and Videos:

icon
BMW 1 Series Coupe

icon
Video Gallery

BMW has unveiled its hottest 1 Series model yet, but the German car maker says no decision has been made to build an M-version even quicker than its 135i Coupe.
Pictures and details of the new 1 Series Coupe have been released ahead of the car's public debut scheduled for September's Frankfurt motor show. The range includes the twin-turbocharged, 3.0-litre six-cylinder petrol engine from the 3 Series, which was recently voted International Engine of the Year.
The two-plus-two-seater 1 Series is a natural rival for the Audi TT (V6) and Nissan 350Z, although its styling is more two-door sedan than tailor-made coupe. It will launch in Europe with a range of engines, but BMW Australia is ignoring a 120d and new twin-turbocharged 123d diesels and importing only the range-topping 135i for about March 2008.
The 135i delivers exactly the same outputs as the 335i range, with 225kW of power and 400Nm of torque. According to BMW's performance claims, the 135i will accelerate from standstill to 100km/h in 5.3 seconds.
That's not only 0.8sec faster than the current flagship 1 Series, the $63,200,195kW 130i Sport five-door hatch, but also a tenth faster than a Porsche Cayman S.
In-gear performance is also superior. The 135i accelerates in fifth gear from 80-120km/h in six seconds, compared with 5.8sec for the 130i and 6.6sec for the Cayman S. Top speed is 250km/h, and fuel consumption based on the EU standard is 9.2 litres per 100km.
As expected, the Coupe is based on the rear-drive 1 Series hatch but increases in length by 121mm (to 4360mm) in the transition to a two-door with a proper boot. The Coupe sits 13mm lower, and is the same width, as the five-door.
The 1560kg Coupe rides on the same front double-pivot tiebar strut and rear multilink suspension, although the 135i also features electronic management designed to mimic a limited-slip diff for optimising rear traction.
The flagship 1 Series model, expected to cost between $75,000 and $85,000 in Australia, sits on 18-inch alloy wheels and BMW's M Sports suspension. The braking system comprises six-piston calipers at the front, and two-piston calipers at the rear.

The 135i is the only 1 Series Coupe to be equipped with an M Aerodynamics Package. This includes enlarged central front air dam, flanked by air intakes either side. The rear bumper also incorporates an air dam, which in dark grey contrasts with the main body colour chosen.
Twin tailpipes and a spoiler incorporated into the heavily styled bootlid complete the sporty-looking rear end.
The LED tail-lights include brake lights that operate in two stages of brightness depending on braking force.
Inside, the cabin is near-identical to the One hatch. The Coupe includes the latest version of iDrive, with programmable 'favourite' buttons.
Australian 135is will include stability control and traction control, and Active Steering will be optional. Other options include bi-xenon headlights and adaptive headlights that peer around corners in the dark.
BMW says there are no guarantees that driving enthusiasts will see an M1 badge on the rear of a 1 Series.
"We have always said that an M-car has to stick to the M philosophy," says BMW Australia spokesperson Toni Andreevski. "An M badge isn't just an extension of the range. Cars are designed specifically to be M-cars. Engineers will always look at possibilities, though at this stage there is no decision for M1"
Andreevski says the 135i will allow younger customers a feel and taste of the kind of compact coupes BMW was building in the '60s and '80s, such as the 2002 (a precursor to the 3 Series) and first-generation (E30) M3.
BMW Australia may have ruled out the cheaper diesel-engined 1 Series Coupes, but it would be strange if Munich didn't introduce further, cheaper petrol options from either the 1 Series hatch or 3 Series range.
A 1 Series Convertible will expand the baby BMW range further when it is launched later in 2008. Unlike the 3 Series Convertible that has a folding metal roof, the alfresco 1 Series will have an electrically operated folding soft-fabric roof.
BMW Australia says the 1 Series Convertible is on its wish-list. A 135i version is a virtual certainty, as are other
Sedan and Touring (wagon) versions of the 1 Series are also expected to follow, as reported by Drive.com.au last December when we revealed BMW's plans for an expanded 1 Series family.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #33
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
It specifically states this new electronic LSD is only active when you completely turn off DSC. That's exactly when you would want the LSD working.

That is not what it says at all. It says:

"• Electronic rear differential lock
o Functions through rear brake management
o Active when DSC completely switched off "

Just becaues it is active when DSC is off does NOT mean that it is not active when DSC is on.

Read it again.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #34
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
That is not what it says at all. It says:

"• Electronic rear differential lock
o Functions through rear brake management
o Active when DSC completely switched off "

Just becaues it is active when DSC is off does NOT mean that it is not active when DSC is on.

Read it again.
You're assuming truth by omission, that's not a valid argument.

...taken literally;
It says "Active when DSC completely switched off"
It does not give an active state for any other condition.

I believe this would be true because the electronics couldn't perform DSC control
AND slip control logic on the same wheel at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #35
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
You're assuming truth by omission, that's not a valid argument.

...taken literally;
It says "Active when DSC completely switched off"
It does not give an active state for any other condition.

I believe this would be true because the electronics couldn't perform DSC control
AND slip control logic on the same wheel at the same time.
*I* am not assuming anything, but rather merely asserting that the PDF document does NOT "specifically state this new electronic LSD is only active when you completely turn off DSC."

Furthermore, DSC and "slip control logic" (I presume you mean the EDL function) *CAN* operate in tandem, as they have been doing so on Audi vehicles for years.

I can state with relative certainty that the EDL will be active whether DSC is on or not. The PDF merely states that it is active when DSC is off as a FEATURE - to show that the torque will still be distributed to the wheel with traction even when DSC is off (IE being driven by an enthusiast, perhaps at the track). It's a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #36
Gene Hanscomb
Rep
Drives:

I agree with bradford on this one.

I've called Lou Gresper Jr., my BMW sales associate, and he agrees. I asked him if he could post here because he knows a lot about the 135.

-Gene Hanscomb
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #37
audisp0rta4
Rep
Drives: 05 Mazda Rx8

I have to agree that they're probably letting you know that the EDL will still do its job of balancing out power even though DSC is off.

Not sure how similar they really are, but I remember my 1998 A4 had a similar Electronic LSD wannabee and installing a real LSD didn't seem to create a problem. Quaife sold a rear LSD for that car, and I would like to think they would make sure it was functional before they released it.
89 Nissan 240sx (sr20det) -sold
03 Ninja ZX6R 636
Appreciate 0