BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

1M finally gets the seats it deserves ! ! (and some other mods too)

Apologies for the long post in advance, I hope you enjoy it ! !
In April of last year I bought a VO 1M Coupe :

And whilst I loved the overall concept of the car, there were several areas of it that I found to be lacking.
I bought the car to replace my much missed E46 M3 CSL which I’d owned for three years and driven for 30,000 miles.

One area that really let the 1M down (for me) was the seats and specifically the seating position. I addressed that issue with the VO car here :

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698747

Whilst the above mod improved the seating position markedly, the seats themselves were not supportive enough, especially when compared with the superb items fitted as standard in the CSL.

I used the VO car for a 2,000 mile trip to Cannes in May last year. It proved to be great fun and VERY able, it kept up with (and often outpaced) far more exotic machinery. However once back in the UK I became aware that its overly firm suspension was not particularly well suited to the UKs bumpier back roads.

Over the following months I became more disenchanted with the car and as a result I sold it in August, having driven it for 7,000 miles.

Over the winter I watched used 1M prices dip briefly and thought about buying another.

When I considered why I’d sold my previous VO example I came up with the following reasons :

The seating position.
The seats.
The exhaust drone and tailpipe design.
The steering wheel.
The i drive and its display along with the sat nav and communication sytem functionality.
The suspension.
The brakes (specifically the sliding calipers that have NO place on a performance car and also the disc/bell design)
The colour (it attracted too much unwanted and negative attention)

In March of this year I decided to purchase a fairly basic spec (no i drive) AW example on the basis that I’d fix (as quickly as possible) the issues that made me disenchanted with my previous VO example.

Here’s the new AW car :

The first job was to remove the cheap looking exhaust tailpipe trims and replace them with something more in keeping with the car. Their fitment is detailed here :

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540146

Having fixed the exhaust tips, my attention then turned to the steering wheel. I found the standard item too smooth and slippery, as a result I found that inputting large amounts of steering lock rapidly, caused the wheel to slip through my hands, I suspect because the 1M’s rack is quick and as a result of this and the wide front wheels/tyres, the steering is quite heavy.

Whilst it would’ve been easy to buy an Alcantara BMW Performance wheel, the cost was prohibitive (and I dislike flat bottomed steering wheels) added to which the “stripe” attached to the wheel rim at the 12 O’ clock position looks a bit too “boy racer” for my liking.

I made enquiries and found a trimmer who was happy to trim the wheel in alcantara. However I was concerned that re-trimming the OE 1M wheel would mean that come resale time the car would be non-original, with this in mind the trimmer supplied me with a second hand wheel that he’d re-trimmed. The results are superb and wheel grip is no longer an issue :

As soon as I drove the AW car I knew the seat and its position would be an issue. With that in mind I started to plan the replacement of the front seats as soon as possible.

As with the steering wheel, it would’ve been easy to head down to my local BMW dealer, credit card in hand, and buy the BMW Performance seats. But bearing in mind the Recaro seats they’re derived from, I think they’re overpriced, still sit too high in the car and are not as supportive as my old CSL seats. The overriding benefit of the Performance seats is that they’re plug and play, and I’m sure this makes them appealing for many. I however was after something more “bespoke”.

Initially I planned on fitting a pair of Recaro Pole Positions, trimmed in leather and/or alcantara with the correct orange stitching. I ordered a pair, but when they arrived they'd sent me the wrong Pole Position seats (the ABE instead of the FIA versions).

I then remembered I had a brand new and unused Sparco Corsa seat in my loft. Intended for use in another project three years ago, I tried it and despite my weighing a few more pounds., I found it was still a perfect fit.

The Sparco Corsa is the seat the Prodrive Subaru WRC team used in the WRC Imprezas.

Prodrive however used the lightweight carbon fibre version (the S light, with their name embroidered into it) They’re at least six times the price of the fibreglass items I used ! !

Some careful planning of the mountings was needed.

Please note the end result has NO adjustment, just like a true race seat install the seat cannot be moved backwards, forwards, tilted, or shifted up or down, it is COMPLETELY fixed.

I considered using the Macht Schnell mounting brackets, but thought them expensive for what the were. So I came up with a cheaper and neater alternative.

With the OE seat removed, the four mounting points are exposed.
I fitted two pieces of extruded aluminium 420mm long, 60mm wide and 10mm thick, drilled and countersunk to accept the same 10mm diameter bolts as the OE items (but countersunk)

On to these were mounted a pair of Sabelt 3mm thick steel side mounts using 8mm bolts :

http://www.sabelt.co.uk/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=54

Note that the hole centres for attaching the side mounts on all FIA approved seats should be the same irrespective of the make (be they Cobra, Recaro Sparco etc) as an example, you can use Sabelt mounts on a Recaro seat.

Next up was the attachment of the seat belt stalk and its pre-tensioner. The pre-tensioner can be seen in this image and is the tube with an electrical cable running along its length, in the event of a head on collision, the pyrotechnic charge is fired and via a steel cable, it pulls the seat belt stalk downwards “pre-tensioning” to prevent the occupants submarining in their seats.

After some trial fitting, the correct position was found and a nut with the correct thread size and pitch was securely welded to the outside face of the inner side mount bracket :

The pre-tensioner has one further location point to prevent its rotation when the pyrotechnic charge is fired. We utilised an extended side mount to seat fixing bolt to perform this duty :

The complete seat belt stalk/pre-tensioner assembly fitted to the side mount and the seat.

After painting the aluminium mounting brackets satin black, the seat and side mounts were then attached to the mounting brackets and the whole assembly bolted into the car.

The mounting installation is neat, stealthy and has a factory look to it. It also means the seat is VERY solidly mounted. The benefits when you’re driving the car are massive. Firstly the seat is mounted low, so you really feel in tune with the car, it is also very supportive, so you feel like you’re a part of the car, the resulting feedback of what the car is doing (through the seat of your pants) is incredible. So much so that I can say I’ve never been able to drift a car at high speed with such confidence as the 1M with this seat fitted.

Having sorted the installation of the seats, it only seemed right to have them trimmed to match the car.

Here’s the end result trimmed in Dinamica (the same material Bentley and Porsche now use) :

Brake and suspension mods to follow . . . . . .

Last edited by Dirk Van Driver; 06-28-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Great job! Looking very nice. I am also looking at seats at the moment. Were the Pole Positions custom from Recaro or did you use a trimmer? What about your Sparco?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Very nice!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Great job! Looking very nice. I am also looking at seats at the moment. Were the Pole Positions custom from Recaro or did you use a trimmer? What about your Sparco?
The Recaros were standard items supplied by a company in the UK, not Recaro UK nor indeed Demon Tweeks. To say I'm unimpressed with the level of service I received from the vendor would be a gross understatment. I ordered the seats on the 15th Feb, having received them, established they were the incorrect items and rejected them, it took them nearly four weeks to collect them. To date I've still not received a refund . . . . . .

I ordered one Recaro Pole Position in leatherette and Dinmica (as I thought it would provide a better template for my trimmer to work from) and the other one in the standard Nomex type material (because it was cheaper)

The Sparco's were supplied in the standard Nomex material and trimmed in Dinamica by a a good friend of mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Awesome. This is how the car should be sold in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Awesome. This is how the car should be sold in the first place.
You should know better than most as you fitted Recaro's to one of your 1M's ages ago (I know, I studied your thread before attempting to fit the Sparco's in my car)

But you're right, the 1M should've been available with proper buckets as an option from new (they fitted Recaro's in the E9X M3 GTS after all)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Advevo, what you say is maybe true but then they would call it a 1M CSL which in turn would make them charge us practically double the original price. You would probably end up buying just one 1M instead of two

OP: I really like what you did and why you did it! Respect for anyone who knows what he wants and takes the extra mile to find original solutions to achieve it
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

True Ozinaldo.

But bmw have done it in the gts. Would be nice to have the option from ///M
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Great thread and great job on the mod! Wish I could do something similar, but I need access to the rear seats for the little ones.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

I also mis the low seating position despite having the BMW performance seats. My previous M3 CSL seats spoiled us. No chance of getting a pair of CSL seats and making them fit? They were 'side' mounted and also offered tilt and slide.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcA View Post
I also mis the low seating position despite having the BMW performance seats. My previous M3 CSL seats spoiled us. No chance of getting a pair of CSL seats and making them fit? They were 'side' mounted and also offered tilt and slide.
The CSL seats are a great design, comfortable, supportive AND as you've said they tilt and slide too. Quite why the M division allowed the 1MC out of the factory gates with the "standard" E92/82 sports seats is a mystery (not really, it's all down to cost) But it would've been good to have been able to specify something more supportive from the options list. I know I would paid extra for a plug and play bucket seat option.

One other point, I still have an airbag light on the dash and a seatbelt light too, these as I've deleted the thorax air bags and passenger seat occupancy sensor. My teccy says that both should be removed with coding, how did you get round the issue Advevo ?

///1M ; Got your PM, tried PM'ing you back, but your inbox is full.

Last edited by Dirk Van Driver; 04-27-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Like what you've done with those seats! Look forward to reading about the next mods!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

you missed the CSL while you drive the 1m? which do you think is better.

i do like the low bucket seat position too, it is actually good for your back too
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtim View Post
you missed the CSL while you drive the 1m? which do you think is better.

i do like the low bucket seat position too, it is actually good for your back too
They're very different cars, the 1M isn't as well developed as the CSL from a chassis perspective (amongst other things) but is a considerably cheaper car than the CSL when that was new back in 2003/4.
I think the 1M's turbo engine is better suited to the UK's roads and traffic.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
sebaflex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

M3CSL

I have the same problem with the stock 1m seats, Your seats came out great.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

this is awesome, you've seriously given more personal and custom touches to the cars interior

PS. shud've kept the CSL!!!!
      10-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
gibbo21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupè

One question: Is stil possible to have acces to the rear seats?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo21
One question: Is stil possible to have acces to the rear seats?
I would say acrobatics required. That's why I have been trying to find out if someone is able to adapt the electronics of the Porsche GT2 seat to the BMW electronics. It's made by Recaro as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

subscribed mechanically adapted GT2 seats imo would be a the best 1M seat upgrade. They're only 25lbs/12kg!!

Quote:
I would say acrobatics required. That's why I have been trying to find out if someone is able to adapt the electronics of the Porsche GT2 seat to the BMW electronics. It's made by Recaro as well.
What electronics would that be? At first glance, if you're good without seat heating, no electronic mods should be required. Depending on if your country version has occupancy detection mats, you'll have to code those out. (same for coding out any current electrical seats).

With the RI-ds, CCM-R & GT2 seats you're getting close to realizing the ultimate 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
... mechanically adapted GT2 seats imo would be a the best 1M seat upgrade. They're only 25lbs/12kg!! ...
to be clear I mean the Porsche sport Schalensitz with fold-able backrest. An option in many recent models and the default chair in the some gt2 and gt3 models.

Name:  Porsche Sport SchaleSitze.JPG
Views: 7847
Size:  49.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

That's the one. Recaro already have one without the airbag and seat heating. The torso bag and seat heating only comes with the Porsche seats which you can still get. Even without he torso bag or heating I think you still have to sort out the occupancy sensor?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #22
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
That's the one. Recaro already have one without the airbag and seat heating. The torso bag and seat heating only comes with the Porsche seats which you can still get. Even without he torso bag or heating I think you still have to sort out the occupancy sensor?
From what I found so far:
- These Porsche sport Schalensitze are said to be made by a company called Lear. (they do not sell anything direct to consumers.) So porsche parts department or 2nd hand are only options.
- The side bags seem autonomous, ie no electronic interface other than power/ground.

Looking forward to any pilot of these seats in the 1M.
Appreciate 0