BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #23
DNOONES31
Registered
Rep
Drives: E30

BMW WARR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnst3r View Post
Great Info to have, Unfortunately there is only one BMW dealership in Alaska...LOL
BMW warranty does not limit any claims by any dealers,
They send the dealer a teile clearing list every mont to state what parts are being replaced at higher rates than other dealers, and the dealer must then submit a PUMA case to procure the part.

Another reason for this is to force the technician to talk to the engineers in Germany concerning known problems like software versions, revisions, part supercessions due to improved parts or fixes that have just come to light to repair high incident problems.

Period..................................
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #24
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

This part concerns me a bit:

"or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event"

What exactly do they define as a "competitive event"? My neighbor has invited me to participate in an auto X event and I was thinking about going... Does that count as a competitive event? Or do they mean like real racing or drag racing?

If autocross counts as a warranty-voiding competitive event, then I probably won't risk it.
      06-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

I can't see how autox can void the warranty being that BMW CCA themselves hold autox events. As for dealers voiding warranty, i would say it depends on the dealer. I just brought my car in for service, and the dealer had to replace the JBE, saying it "burnt out" because of the wires I had tapped to the fuse box for my stereo setup. (they couldnt communicate with the car when trying to reflash). They may or may not be right, I cant prove it didnt cause the failure, and im sure they cant prove it did either. In any case I got a "we'll cover it THIS time"

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #26
MarcusDubya77
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 93 WRX;98 Forrester;05 LGT

Good information for a future owner. My LGT went thru the same issue when i had it looked at for a sqeaking near the front wheels. The maintenance manager pointed out the dealers rule of popping all hoods to see any changes. This is done in case of future mishaps which could be attributed to modification. He did however state that failure of an aftermarket component does necessarily void warranty if it didn't directly attribute to failure, but don't think that they don't take note of modified cars.
      08-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #27
igmif
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #28
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
FTC *Consumer *Alert Dec 2010

Will using ‘aftermarket’ parts void my warranty?
No. An ‘aftermarket’ part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn’t installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Complete document:
warranty_ftc.pdf

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #29
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Will using ‘aftermarket’ parts void my warranty?
No. An ‘aftermarket’ part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn’t installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Complete document:
Attachment 616990

But doesn't it, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act also state that the "aftermarket" part has to be of the same specs of the original part, a direct replacement. Any replacement outside the OEM specs CAN void warranty... right? I could be wrong...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianReyes View Post
But doesn't it, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act also state that the "aftermarket" part has to be of the same specs of the original part, a direct replacement. Any replacement outside the OEM specs CAN void warranty... right? I could be wrong...
Nope...the dealer has to prove the aftermarket part is the root cause of the failure. Sure, they might say this to your face but as a consumer you have rights. Most people might walk away. See attachment above regarding the FTC.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #31
luckyboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: white

Anthony and gargoyle for the info,i like share,Thanks you.!
      11-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #32
ahon_hassan
Alex hassan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M package

Could an axleback delete really damage anything for them to relate it to something
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #33
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahon_hassan
Could an axleback delete really damage anything for them to relate it to something
If it was installed properly it would be....monumentally difficult for an axle back to cause a failure. its a piece of metal tubing far downstream, it really doesnt "do" much outside of regulating tone and volume. Id be very, very upset if a dealer tried to deny warranty work due to a muffler delete. That being said, its within their right to make it hard for you, ultimately you altered the terms of your warranty.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #34
anichtawitz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135 cnvtbl, manual, Msport

Great info, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #35
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #36
DrSidar
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: N54 135i Le Mans Blue

This is good news, but i think in South Africa our laws are slightly different but teh basic principle will still remain. We have a 5 year 'Motorplan' which covers all aspects except Fuel and tyres. So anything goes wrong they replace and repair at no additional cost.

It will be a cold day in hell for BMW SA to cover repairs if you had a JB4 with down pipe installed. They will find a way to not pay. I know of a few cases.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #37
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
really talked to my service manager about my car for the past couple years. last summer i had a misfire problem that i just couldn't figure out. this fall i had come to the assumption it was the injectors. i asked him about the sib with replacing them. november he said bring it in and well read them and if they are bad we'll replace them. my warranty was up last june. i asked him if i should take the JB4 out or if it really mattered. he said to take it out. they dont like to see that when we make the claim. pretty good guy. glad i got to know him through getting my car serviced there alot. ended up me being the smartest person alive and mixing the rear O2 sensors when i installed downpipes last spring.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #38
GhettoBooty
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Hello all,

Just wanted to let people on here know that I am an attorney and have dealt with issues pertaining to a manufacturer denying a warranty claim I brought on a CPO vehicle.

Because I knew the law, I threatened suit and eventually had them cover the cost of the repair.

Let me know if any dealers give you a hard time, I am happy to help anyone out, esp. if you are in WI or IL, where I am licensed.
Appreciate 1
darkrom186.50
      02-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #39
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i e82

Good info, good to have solid statements about warranty issues