BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

RBs, VTT stage 2...... Or Meth?

Seems as though everyone is going the VTT route now, possibly because they are cheaper. Any dyno numbers with the stage 2s on E85? I haven't been able to find much info on dyno numbers for them. In terms of reliability, Vargas seems to be the better option... This wasn't the case a year ago.

I'm finding it difficult to justify the price for an additional 50whp. I'm FBO with E85 BB flash, Map 7, E60. Maybe an alternative should be meth?

08' Sparkling Graphite Metallic E82 135i. 6spd Manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

I don't know how you are coming up with the idea that VTT are the more popular or more reliable option... You say yourself there are not many people posting numbers... I certainly wouldn't choose them over RB. I like meth, but if you are already running E60 the meth isn't going to be a huge power increase like if you were just FBO on pump.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Durim if your not in a rush Pure is suppose to have stage 2s in the works for spring time. They'll be more money but from what I heard they won't be smoking and rattling like other turbos. RBs are great but VTT has a history it seems with leaking turbos from there first batch of stage 2s. Maybe they fixed it by now idk. I do know is that Tony is a guy I would not feel comfortable purchasing from him. Guys a child and the most unprofessional vendor ever. I know Martin put a couple VTT turbos on n54s I gotta ask how they're holding up.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms

Last edited by Zombie1; 01-13-2015 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'd rather the more reliable RB's than the VTT.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
How else is your car set up? Your car sounds powerful enough perhaps there are other areas to improve.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
HeavyMetalRocker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurimOne54 View Post
Seems as though everyone is going the VTT route now, possibly because they are cheaper. Any dyno numbers with the stage 2s on E85? I haven't been able to find much info on dyno numbers for them. In terms of reliability, Vargas seems to be the better option... This wasn't the case a year ago.

I'm finding it difficult to justify the price for an additional 50whp. I'm FBO with E85 BB flash, Map 7, E60. Maybe an alternative should be meth?
Whelp... I don't know who everyone is or where ANY of their dyno's, logs, or any track slips are. Definitely don't know where VTT is cheaper than RB... Maybe the quality or reliability? Enough of the smack now.. on a more serious note, Most RB builds including my own are a bit over 500 rwhp on e85 alone now. I have not seen or read about one VTT stage 2 over 500rwhp on e85 alone. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, just haven't heard of any of them! I do believe that both manufacturers have had and resolved the smoking etc issues as those were mostly first batch cases. As far as just picking up 50rwhp... Have you been on a dyno? Assuming you're among the very few hitting 450 rwhp on map 7 with no meth, the 50 rwhp gain would be assuming you stayed on map 7 etc... Say you did that, and stayed on map 7, You're looking at one number when what you should be looking at is the entire power curve. The stock snails you have presumably making 450rwhp are making a power curve that probably peaks around 5500 rpm then nose dives it's face back below 400rwhp before you even see the redline. That's not speculation it just is! Now, swap your hybrids in and watch your max power hit 500 rpm earlier and maintain much stronger THROUGH redline. Where your max rwhp is a gain of 50, see the rest of the curve and the max gains. In most cases with the current fueling and tune options that 6k and above rpm where your stock snails are pushing to barely if at all make 400rwhp those hybrids are narrowly pushing 500rwhp for a 100rwhp gain over oem. That's power under the curve and it happens from when you put the pedal down. You are consistently making a significant amount more at every RPM not just max numbers. And for the record, I have yet to see anyone break 430'ish with your mods map 7 etc. So it would likely be closer to 70rwhp gain, again assuming you stick with map 7. The gains of being able to run and maintain higher boost with hybrids is quite a bit more! Think about the difference that you had when you threw the tune on and cranked up the boost for the first time!
2007 335i e90 6mt | Motiv 750 XR8267 | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | MHD Pump Flash | Walbro 255lph | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | Custom Side Exhaust | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0