BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
arisonford
Rep
Drives:

"normal" Turbo noise!!??!!

Hey all, just got back from service with my car. i have other posts explaining my issue, but ill skip to my question.

the shop forman told me that at low rpms there is an audible flutter from the wastegates ( sounds a bit like a cricket's chirp) that can be heard on all N54 engines. i asked him to let me hear it on another car and he pulled up a brand new 335. the noise was barely audible, and not intrusive at all. its much louder on my car with only 3000 miles on it and i reall dont like how my car sounds now. does anyone else have this "normal" noise that comes from under the hood? if so when did it start/was it always there...Thnx
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Do you mean Turbo Flutter such as this??????

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

it sounds like darth vader beat boxing in the second one.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
F0Bman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Yes the flutter is normal, it is the turbo spooling up and to positive pressure building up. Completely normal and you have warranty anyways.
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 02:41 AM   #5
Vancity1
Private
Rep
Drives:

get used to driving a turbo, it sounds amazing. yes its normal and yes its what gives you the power that you bought the car for.Personally i love hearing my turbos at low rpm.
      09-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
Vancity1
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'll also say that it was always there but got alot more noticable as the engine broke in. I'm around 3k miles now and have noticed the exhaust and turbo's have opened up in terms of sound.

It's how your car is going to sound for the rest of it's life. Love it or leave it
      09-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisonford View Post
Hey all, just got back from service with my car. i have other posts explaining my issue, but ill skip to my question.

the shop forman told me that at low rpms there is an audible flutter from the wastegates ( sounds a bit like a cricket's chirp) that can be heard on all N54 engines. i asked him to let me hear it on another car and he pulled up a brand new 335. the noise was barely audible, and not intrusive at all. its much louder on my car with only 3000 miles on it and i reall dont like how my car sounds now. does anyone else have this "normal" noise that comes from under the hood? if so when did it start/was it always there...Thnx

I don't believe I have this .. if I do, I can't hear it ... maybe I need to get my hearing checked ... LOL ...

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0