BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-30-2016, 12:43 AM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
My car lags only when I'm not driving it in anger. If I get mad about the lag I just drive harder...problem fixed. Oh the trans does start to lag a shitload on downshifts once you beat it at the track but yeah it gets hot.

Also, lol @ "I've driven cars with conventional manual gearboxes and motos with sequential so I KNOW how an unrelated, completely automated manual with TWO OUTPUT SHAFTS and TWO MILLION LINES OF SOFTWARE CODE is supposed to work." Well, maybe so, but the cited experience is really irrelevant, because most anyone whether they've driven a car, bike, snowmobile, jetski or just walk their dog (advanced biological "machine") down the street will tell you that the machine should do exactly as you ask, exactly WHEN you ask it. For various reasons (probably don't want to dilute the M cars, although maybe they do this BS too) our DCT is unable to always function so straightforwardly.
I guess this comment was directed at me since I'm the only one who mentioned motorcycles. If the trans is so complex and quirky, then BMW should have never put this out for street use. The vast majority of their customer base with DCTs won't ever track it. If they do, it's not their dedicated track car. In my opinion, they should have stuck with the steptronic transmission; which is what BMW did with the 2 series.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of some of you to be able to drive my car in anger on a regular basis. Between the constant congestion and then the overly aggressive speeding enforcement, I only have small windows of time when I am out and about to drive my car in "anger".

And to clarify a bit more, my comment about having driven manuals for a long while with both cars and motorcycles was directed at the person who has implied we who have complained about the lag issues (and in my case the lurching) don't know how manuals behave.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 12:46 AM   #46
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Right on, personally I wish the car had a manually operated sequential like bikes and race cars. That would be awesome and really reliable, but I guess not refined (UNNECESSARILY COMPLICATED) enough for BMW's taste.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5137.00
      12-30-2016, 12:58 AM   #47
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Right on, personally I wish the car had a manually operated sequential like bikes and race cars. That would be awesome and really reliable, but I guess not refined (UNNECESSARILY COMPLICATED) enough for BMW's taste.
Exactly. Have you ridden BMW's own S1000RR? It's an amazing experience what a well executed trans and electronics package can be. The bike can be had with a factory powershifter which allows clutchless up and downshifts. I've used it on the track and it's simply amazing. This combined with the slipper clutch means butter and money.

Maybe the Motorrad division needs to pay the automotive division a visit.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2017, 12:05 AM   #48
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Evo GSR

'12 DCT with dealer installed PPK checking in.

Always lags, albeit the length of the lag is entirely inconsistent. I can't believe they actually sold the cars like this and haven't been sued for it, honestly.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #49
sandlion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

question to those that bought new ; was lag present from new or is it a problem with adaptations / software or turbo system leaks that occur after a period of time? I'm guessing the last two?
      01-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #50
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I bought my car new. I did notice the lag when I was test driving the car. But with all the excitement of finding the last black (albeit carbon black) 135i in my area (and for that matter throughout the Mid Atlantic states), sort of masked the throttle lag situation. After taking the car home, my wife has driven my car a couple of times. The first time she did make a comment about the throttle lag. This is part of the reason why I got her Ok to go ahead and do the PPK Stage 2 upgrade on my car because at the time everyone said the software upgrade helped.

The PPK software did help for a while until out of the blue last summer the lag got worse and the lurching came into the picture. The behavior of the car was so bad I wouldn't let my wife drive my car. Unless you experience this behavior and know what to expect, it's downright dangerous. That's when I broke down and had the car in to get the TSB update. This has helped some. But the lag is still present. Some times it's pretty bad. Some times it's mild. The lurching/car jumping has calmed down too. It's happened a couple of times since the update but no where near what I was experiencing before. I serious thought I was going to hit the car in front of me when I was driving through stop and go traffic and was about to contemplate pulling off to the side of the road to get a tow. It was THAT bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #51
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I bought my car new. I did notice the lag when I was test driving the car. But with all the excitement of finding the last black (albeit carbon black) 135i in my area (and for that matter throughout the Mid Atlantic states), sort of masked the throttle lag situation. After taking the car home, my wife has driven my car a couple of times. The first time she did make a comment about the throttle lag. This is part of the reason why I got her Ok to go ahead and do the PPK Stage 2 upgrade on my car because at the time everyone said the software upgrade helped.

The PPK software did help for a while until out of the blue last summer the lag got worse and the lurching came into the picture. The behavior of the car was so bad I wouldn't let my wife drive my car. Unless you experience this behavior and know what to expect, it's downright dangerous. That's when I broke down and had the car in to get the TSB update. This has helped some. But the lag is still present. Some times it's pretty bad. Some times it's mild. The lurching/car jumping has calmed down too. It's happened a couple of times since the update but no where near what I was experiencing before. I serious thought I was going to hit the car in front of me when I was driving through stop and go traffic and was about to contemplate pulling off to the side of the road to get a tow. It was THAT bad.
Did you get the SIB 12-14-15?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #52
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have an extended (3rd party) warranty. Should I head to the dealer and start inquiring, or not waste my time and effort?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #53
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
Yes. That was the update I was referring to I had done this past summer after I thought my car was going to kill me in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #54
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0449 View Post
I have an extended (3rd party) warranty. Should I head to the dealer and start inquiring, or not waste my time and effort?
You can inquire about having the SIB referenced by VRG done to your car. It did help but in my situation hasn't taken away the problem completely. The biggest issue seems to have been mostly resolved which was the car wanting to jump forward while slowing with my foot on the brake at lower speeds (1st and 2nd gear situations).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #55
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
You should be able to get the update under your warranty, but you'll probably have to demonstrate the problems to your dealer.
      01-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #56
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Yes. That was the update I was referring to I had done this past summer after I thought my car was going to kill me in traffic.
My car is almost completely behaved now. No problems with that issue at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #57
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My car is almost completely behaved now. No problems with that issue at all.
I envy all of you that has had this issue resolved. For whatever reason, I still have to deal with it in varying levels of severity. Since these cars are no longer in production, I doubt BMW is going to do anything more for me. Would be nice if BMW would do some in depth forensics into what is going on in my car. I wouldn't mind if they kept it for a month to shake it out as long as I get a 100% fixed car in the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #58
bung206
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 135i MSPORT

If I'd paid close to "retail" and bought this car from a dealership, especially a "premium" marque, I'd be extremely disappointed if it was anything short of spectacular. I get that usually no car is "perfect" and there's always a few rattles or unexplained sounds or something but a gearbox I can't trust isn't something I'd live with. One of the biggest benefits of buying new is the after sales support and a trouble free motoring experience, doesn't sound like you're getting any of that.

So what is BMW's official position? Have you had them look at it?
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      01-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #59
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I totally agree. I get quirks. My Ducati 848 bought new has plenty of them. But you're right about this transmission. I just didn't know it could get this bad. But I think with the latest update, it least it's some what tolerable.

The funny thing is I met up with my friend who is a BMW dealer service tech today. I told him a while ago about the issues I've had with the DCT trans. He told me he didn't realize how bad it was until he had to check out a 135i they took in I assume as a trade in. He said he got into traffic and got the "oh $hit" moment in thick traffic when he hit the gas and nothing happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #60
sandlion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Yeah, mine was doing that before the software update and air leak at the intercooler fix. get it pressure tested you have to be sure there are no air leaks. now it's fine.
      01-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #61
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just a heads up:

My DCT flash was current, and my DME flash was 1 revision behind. Everything is now up to date, and the throttle lag is unaffected.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #62
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just a heads up:

My DCT flash was current, and my DME flash was 1 revision behind. Everything is now up to date, and the throttle lag is unaffected.
Unaffected in a good or bad way?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #63
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response.

The updates have had 0 effect (positive or negative) on my dangerous throttle lag.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #64
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response.

The updates have had 0 effect (positive or negative) on my dangerous throttle lag.
Just to give you a step-by-step on what my resolution was.
I went to dealership, got the tech in the car with me, make sure the AC was on (it was on Max), and then he realized what the needed repair was. If you don't have the AC on Max, especially if it's cold outside, the AC may not be on and they may not realize what's going on
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #65
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
I have a 2013 135is. If I start hammering around the place and then come up on a stop sign or stop light and am turning right and hit the brakes pretty hard to a full or nearly full stop, it's almost guaranteed that it'll miss shifting into 1st at least once or twice. Sometimes it takes about 3-5 seconds before it'll hit 1st and actually go. Meanwhile, I'm drifting into traffic and not accelerating at all. From a stop, a lot of times it'll take a while to get going even with light throttle. Sometimes it feels like if I take DSC and DTC off, it'll be better but I haven't tested enough with that. (And what good is decent shifting and pickup speed if I am going to wind up drifting sideways into a tree?)

It also has lag from a start and doesn't like to shift into 1st a lot of times. I'll mash the downshift paddle and it'll just be completely unresponsive in terms of shifting into 1st. It'll stay in second the whole time no matter how much I hit the paddle. After a second or two, it might be like, "Oh, okay, you hit the paddle a fifth time? Yeah, I'll downshift now even though we've been in the safezone this entire time."

Shit software and transmission. The upshifts and downshifts are intoxicating when they work well but when they don't... and they frequently fail... it makes me really wish I got a manual transmission. It's not much better than a manual for stop and go. The delay is super real.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #66
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
I have a 2013 135is. If I start hammering around the place and then come up on a stop sign or stop light and am turning right and hit the brakes pretty hard to a full or nearly full stop, it's almost guaranteed that it'll miss shifting into 1st at least once or twice. Sometimes it takes about 3-5 seconds before it'll hit 1st and actually go. Meanwhile, I'm drifting into traffic and not accelerating at all. From a stop, a lot of times it'll take a while to get going even with light throttle. Sometimes it feels like if I take DSC and DTC off, it'll be better but I haven't tested enough with that. (And what good is decent shifting and pickup speed if I am going to wind up drifting sideways into a tree?)

It also has lag from a start and doesn't like to shift into 1st a lot of times. I'll mash the downshift paddle and it'll just be completely unresponsive in terms of shifting into 1st. It'll stay in second the whole time no matter how much I hit the paddle. After a second or two, it might be like, "Oh, okay, you hit the paddle a fifth time? Yeah, I'll downshift now even though we've been in the safezone this entire time."

Shit software and transmission. The upshifts and downshifts are intoxicating when they work well but when they don't... and they frequently fail... it makes me really wish I got a manual transmission. It's not much better than a manual for stop and go. The delay is super real.
See my above comment.....
Appreciate 0