BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
It kind of sounds like the last thing you did, which is what you list above that your mechanic did is what has fixed your car and finally cured you of the issues that have been plaguing you. I say that because with each thing you've done, the results were less than perfect or all seemed good for a while but then the problems slowly came back to haunt you again.

Several people have tried the other measures you've taken with little or no results. Yes, some have had good results but it seems so random as to what works and what doesn't; hit and miss. I do think getting the Dinan tune helped most, based on what you've said, but it didn't completely work. I guess I'm just hoping that you finally solved the puzzle and that this time it stays solved.
The Dinan S2 pretty much solved the issues without the A/C running. But with the A/C running and the S2 tune, I sort of felt it was actually worse than what was going on before the S2 tune.

And yes, I hope this is the final resolution to the problem and I won't be whining about about the driveability issues with my car again.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #24
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The Dinan S2 pretty much solved the issues without the A/C running. But with the A/C running and the S2 tune, I sort of felt it was actually worse than what was going on before the S2 tune.

And yes, I hope this is the final resolution to the problem and I won't be whining about about the driveability issues with my car again.
It's not whining. You've had legitimate and sometimes dangerous issues to deal with and have shared your trials and tribulations and hopefully the solution(s) with us and we appreciate it.
      06-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #25
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Went for a nice spirited 55 mile ride this afternoon. While driving I felt that my car drove differently than usual. I just had my car in for the 4yr/45k mile service. During which they replaced the spark plugs, coil packs, performed some additional service items, and addressed my DCT lag. While addressing the lag they "Deleted DME Adaptations" not sure exactly what this means but the car now feels much slower than usual and takes 1-2 seconds to build boost in all gears. The transmission is much smoother now at launch but lost some of the snap when shifting gears. I'm wondering if during this service they somehow deleted my PPK & Dinan tune from the vehicle. Does the software tune live on the DME? I messaged my SA and am waiting to hear back what he has to say. I may bring the car in either Monday/Tuesday morning to have them check and ensure the tune is still there. Changing out the plugs/coils wouldn't cause this would it? Honestly my car now feels neutered from how it went into the shop, like it's spirit is gone. Any suggestions?
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

That's weird you're having these problems. I was assured when they did what I the tech put in his notes that there was no software flash done to the DME. My car drives great now. I also got back from a long drive today with part of the driving in the ever annoying DC Metro area traffic.

From the people I have spoken to, I don't think there's a way for the dealer techs to know if the PPK is still in there or not. If there is any suspicion it was wiped, the PPK has to be reflashed to the DME. Same applies to the Dinan tune. Except, when I spoke to the Dinan dealer that did my flash, he said when they hook up my car to the system and begin the flash, the Dinan flash software will stop the process if it detects the tune already present. I don't think this is the case with the PPK.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

It's coming up on a month since I created this thread. So far the car is still driving great.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #28
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update. I emailed my SA and am hoping to hear back tomorrow with his thoughts.
Off topic but I saw my first 918 Spyder this afternoon. I followed for about 10 miles. Pictures don't do it justice. It's by far my favorite of the "holy trinity". I've seen numerous P1/LaFerrari but the 918 stopped me dead in my tracks. It was stunning and sound like nothing else I've ever heard on the road.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #29
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
Went for a nice spirited 55 mile ride this afternoon. While driving I felt that my car drove differently than usual. I just had my car in for the 4yr/45k mile service. During which they replaced the spark plugs, coil packs, performed some additional service items, and addressed my DCT lag. While addressing the lag they "Deleted DME Adaptations" not sure exactly what this means but the car now feels much slower than usual and takes 1-2 seconds to build boost in all gears. The transmission is much smoother now at launch but lost some of the snap when shifting gears. I'm wondering if during this service they somehow deleted my PPK & Dinan tune from the vehicle. Does the software tune live on the DME? I messaged my SA and am waiting to hear back what he has to say. I may bring the car in either Monday/Tuesday morning to have them check and ensure the tune is still there. Changing out the plugs/coils wouldn't cause this would it? Honestly my car now feels neutered from how it went into the shop, like it's spirit is gone. Any suggestions?
Depending on how spirited, did you reduce or disable traction control?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #30
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
Depending on how spirited, did you reduce or disable traction control?
Traction control was 50/50 traction control on (100%) one press of the button(50%). Sport button pressed and manual shift mode entire time.
SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #31
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't know then.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #32
gabeyts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-Sport

What dealer do you get serviced at?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #33
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep

It was weird. This morning all was back to normal. Not sure if the car needed to "reset" or what but all is good now. I'm going to monitor it and hook up my OBD later this week and read boost pressure.
SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #34
ctajerian
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
I figure I would just start my own thread on this as I've been pretty vocal about my problems. So I finally got to the point with the drivability issues I got the car into the dealership. The car was literally almost undriveable in the horrid stop and go traffic of DC with the A/C on. Idle stumbling, then surging. With the surge, the car would want to jump forward. You can imagine how this is like when you're stop and go for several miles.

So I got an update from my SA today. Here are the notes the tech put into the system and they think they got it fixed. We'll see. My SA test drove my car with me in it when I dropped it off. I wanted to make sure he knows what I'm dealing with. He wants to test drive my car again to make sure the problem is really gone before releasing it back to me.

VERIFIED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT, TEST DROVE THE CAR
NOTED VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH DCT TRANSMISSION AND SEEMS
LIKE THE STALLING ISSUE IS RELATED TO BOTH ENGINE AND
TRANSMISSION. ATTACHED CHARGER, PERFORMED SHORT TEST, NOTED
UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT PRESENT. RAN "ENERGY DIAGNOSIS" NOTED LOW
STATE OF CHARGE WAS PRESENT FOR 4 DAYS. (NOTE THAT VEHICLE
WILL BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY WITH LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE" RAN "IDLE
SPEED" TEST PLAN AND BUMPED THE IDLE FOR AC AND LOW VOLTAGE
CONDITIONS BY 100RPM. D6121 00ENDIAG 73 507, D6121 00000000
01 901 TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE NOTED STALLING ISSUE IS
RESOLVED BUT VEHICLE STILL SURGES FORWARD. RAN "DCT
TRANSMISSION FLUSHING FUNCTION" AND BLED THE ENTIRE COOLING
LINES. RAN "GEARBOX ADAPTATION TEST PLAN" AND RE ADJUSTED
BOTH TORQUE CHARACTERISTIC AND ALSO TRANSMISSION SLIPPING
POINT. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE AROUND TO SET A BASE LINE FOR
TRANS AND ENGINE ADAPTATIONS
I had the same issue back in 2011.

The issue is that 1 of 2 things
1) Your ecu module is never updated or hasn't been updated to the newest update
2) your ecu module is fried

I took my car when I had the idle issues and they changed the entire module and hadn't had any problems so far.

as for the dct issues I don't think it has to do with the idle that is its own problem that needs to be checked out on.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctajerian View Post
I had the same issue back in 2011.

The issue is that 1 of 2 things
1) Your ecu module is never updated or hasn't been updated to the newest update
2) your ecu module is fried

I took my car when I had the idle issues and they changed the entire module and hadn't had any problems so far.

as for the dct issues I don't think it has to do with the idle that is its own problem that needs to be checked out on.
It was none of what you've mentioned. I didn't put it in this thread, but I have in other threads where I've complained about the lag and lurching issues I've had.

Here are the things I've done in the order they were done:

1) PPK2 install
2) SIB 12-15-14
3) Dinan S2 tune

While the Dinan S2 tune provided some help with the throttle response and lurching, it didn't solve the problem when the A/C was turned on. The only solution which really fixed my problem was what I posted. It's been months since the tech applied his fix and the car still drives pretty much perfectly except the rare stumble I've experienced; which hasn't happened lately at all. As the time goes by, I'm starting to forget I ever had the major problems with driveability I complained constantly about here. Really wished this solution was figured out sooner as I felt I lost a couple of years of real enjoyment out of the car.
Appreciate 1
Esteban41726.00
      11-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #36
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Everything still good? Which dealer did you go to? I’d want to speak to the same person so as not to have to start from scratch with someone else. I’ve been in once before and they merely re uploaded my ecu.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #37
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeyts View Post
What dealer do you get serviced at?
Sorry, just saw your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Everything still good? Which dealer did you go to? I’d want to speak to the same person so as not to have to start from scratch with someone else. I’ve been in once before and they merely re uploaded my ecu.
BMW of Rockville. My SA is Eric Clark. When you reference my situation, tell him the tall guy that rides a Duc and goes to the track sent you to him. He should recognize exactly who I am.

BTW, he also rides too.

ETA: Yes, everything is still good. I get an occasional stumble but it's rare and nearly not as dangerous as it was before the fix. I'm confident enough where I no longer have butt pucker moments when I'm navigating rush hour traffic in the DC area.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #38
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am the short guy who also rides a duc.....so hopefully he will remember me lol. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #39
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Just to chime in, I'm one of the I'm sure many owners who had this issue and stumbled across this thread and started panicking about having to try and track down this issue.

I spoke with a PPK coder on the forums and was researching the op's route of repair (was also pm'ing him for info, thank you very much for responding) to gather info on a fix.

This weekend I did the stage 1 CA 91oct tune from MHD. I got in the car this morning, threw the a/c on for about 15 minutes of drive time, and voila!! My issue is completely resolved. This isn't to say it may not come back and is forever resolved, but so far idle is smooth as silk. There is still what I'd call a delay in throttle inputs, the first few degrees of peddle travel don't really seem to activate the throttle, but when I get into it there is zero delay.

I'm not sure if the first 1/2 inch or so of throttle is just dead in this car normally, but I'm very very pleased to have eliminated (for now) the idle/lurching issue with a/c on. MHD is a godsend, and it seems it is not just PPK that is an option for throttle lag issues, MHD is as well. I drive the 10 freeway in los angeles going into santa monica every day, so the a/c lag issues were a nightmare.
Appreciate 1
Blu3RSX27.50
      04-19-2018, 03:27 AM   #40
R.Korkis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

i just bought a 135 but there is no exhaust system installed , just a straight pipe from the engine going all the way to the rear of the car. i am experiencing a lag in the RPM is taking long time to go high no matter how hard i push the gas pedal. and even on acceleration i am feeling that the car is not at its highest performance (knowing that i have a JB4 installed on the car). does anyone else has this problem ? or should i install an exhaust system?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #41
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Korkis View Post
i just bought a 135 but there is no exhaust system installed , just a straight pipe from the engine going all the way to the rear of the car. i am experiencing a lag in the RPM is taking long time to go high no matter how hard i push the gas pedal. and even on acceleration i am feeling that the car is not at its highest performance (knowing that i have a JB4 installed on the car). does anyone else has this problem ? or should i install an exhaust system?
Buying a car with no exhaust installed makes you wonder what else is the car missing?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #42
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
Been having these same issues with my car since I bought it in 2016. My symptoms were somewhat mild and was more annoying than anything. So I had the SIB update and installed PPK1. It got better, but soon returned. During this time I also installed the BMS intake. Afterwards, I had two "limp mode" situations and got the following codes:

2DCE - Valvetronic System no adjustment possible
2EOF - Valvetronic System deactivated adj fault too frequent

It was 18 months between incidents.

My SA said I eventually need to replace the eccentric shaft actuator.

Then I read that the BMS intake may be exacerbating the problem, so I removed it and put my factory intake back on and the symptoms have reduced significantly. I still get some mild fluctuations in RPM when I come to a stop and an occasional "stumble", but the issues are still there.

So I did some reading on the valvetronic system issues with the N55 and came across the following:

N55 Failing VANOS Solenoid Symptoms:
•Loss of Power and Torque
•Engine hesitation and bogging
•Rough idle, bouncing RPM’s
•Starting issues and potential stalling of vehicle
•Limp mode

https://www.bmwn55tuning.com/n55-common-problems/

So my question, could the real culprit be my eccentric shaft actuator failing?

Looking at replacing it and seeing what happens.
      01-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #43
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

My car was scanned and never produced any trouble codes. From what I've been seeing others that have this problem also didn't have any trouble codes logged in their DME. My car is also all stock engine mod wise except for the upgraded cooling hardware from the PPK2 kit and the tune before I got the Dinan S2 tune installed.

From your description of your situation, it does seem there could be a mechanical issue causing your problem. All I can say is since having the adaptations reset I posted on this sticky my car has been driving near perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #44
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:
My car was scanned and never produced any trouble codes. From what I've been seeing others that have this problem also didn't have any trouble codes logged in their DME. My car is also all stock engine mod wise except for the upgraded cooling hardware from the PPK2 kit and the tune before I got the Dinan S2 tune installed.

From your description of your situation, it does seem there could be a mechanical issue causing your problem. All I can say is since having the adaptations reset I posted on this sticky my car has been driving near perfect.
Same thing here. +1

-Sam
Appreciate 0