BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2019, 01:18 AM   #45
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
My car was scanned and never produced any trouble codes. From what I've been seeing others that have this problem also didn't have any trouble codes logged in their DME. My car is also all stock engine mod wise except for the upgraded cooling hardware from the PPK2 kit and the tune before I got the Dinan S2 tune installed.

From your description of your situation, it does seem there could be a mechanical issue causing your problem. All I can say is since having the adaptations reset I posted on this sticky my car has been driving near perfect.
Thanks for the feedback. Almost no issues now that I put the stock intake back on.
      03-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #46
gtjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2011 135i DCT

I am having the same issue and was wondering if you had to go into the dealer? Is there a adaptation reset if you have MHD? I haven't looked on my tablet yet to check. I asked the dealer and they wanted $150 to diagnose and even more money if programming was needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:16 AM   #47
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

So I had a horrible scare yesterday.

I had to gun it to get out of the neighborhood into rush hour traffic, the car usually hangs the last gear for a few then upshifts and keeps going, no big deal. No it started bucking, not downshifting couldn't decide what it wanted to do.

Pull up to stop light, and its like the clutch won't disengage and tries to kill the engine. Go through the light, have to stop for someone turning, it starts bucking again, kills the engine. 3 restarts to get it back in gear and get off the road.

Went ahead and finished the trip to Lowe's (cause if it screws up it's going to need a tow either way) and it seemed mostly OK. But even parking at Lowes, it acts up when we get to a stop.

Driving it home seemed OK? Not in sport mode, and pulling up to each stop VERY slowly it didn't do the bucking/idle jump thing.

Low fluid? DCT pump on the out? Mechatronics unit hosed? Just needs recalibration?

I really don't need a huge 4 figure repair bill right now. The car is scheduled to my trusted Indy on Wednesday, and it won't be driven until then.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
So I had a horrible scare yesterday.

I had to gun it to get out of the neighborhood into rush hour traffic, the car usually hangs the last gear for a few then upshifts and keeps going, no big deal. No it started bucking, not downshifting couldn't decide what it wanted to do.

Pull up to stop light, and its like the clutch won't disengage and tries to kill the engine. Go through the light, have to stop for someone turning, it starts bucking again, kills the engine. 3 restarts to get it back in gear and get off the road.

Went ahead and finished the trip to Lowe's (cause if it screws up it's going to need a tow either way) and it seemed mostly OK. But even parking at Lowes, it acts up when we get to a stop.

Driving it home seemed OK? Not in sport mode, and pulling up to each stop VERY slowly it didn't do the bucking/idle jump thing.

Low fluid? DCT pump on the out? Mechatronics unit hosed? Just needs recalibration?

I really don't need a huge 4 figure repair bill right now. The car is scheduled to my trusted Indy on Wednesday, and it won't be driven until then.
Easy check is to get under the car and see if there are any leaks.

Have you had the adaptations reset done per my post in this sticky? I was having similar issues and it's been what 3 years since having the fix done and have had no major problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #49
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Easy check is to get under the car and see if there are any leaks.

Have you had the adaptations reset done per my post in this sticky? I was having similar issues and it's been what 3 years since having the fix done and have had no major problems.
I know you're kind of the expert on this. No leaks, no loose connections (that I can see).

Car has an appointment with my Indy guy on Wednesday, and I'll give him all your instructions from post #1. I won't be driving it until then.

I hate it, I love this car and have way over-maintended it. I hope it's not about to bite me in the ass at 33k miles. ('13 135i)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #50
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I've never heard of the DCT "Bucking", very interesting. No lights came on in the cluster (overheating, check engine etc)? I would be curious to hear if there are any codes stored. May be a wheel speed sensor or ABS Sensor too?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #51
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I know you're kind of the expert on this. No leaks, no loose connections (that I can see).

Car has an appointment with my Indy guy on Wednesday, and I'll give him all your instructions from post #1. I won't be driving it until then.

I hate it, I love this car and have way over-maintended it. I hope it's not about to bite me in the ass at 33k miles. ('13 135i)
Hope you get it sorted. I know what you mean about the car. When everything is working, it's great. But when things go bad with the DCT, it can be an utter nightmare. You're at the point where I was. But fortunately for me, I was still under the factory warranty at the time. And I got so fed up, I was going to leave the car at the dealership till they figured it out. My SA knew how serious the situation was and personally test drove my car to experience the problem himself. Fortunately, the problem reproduced itself except for the scary moment that forced me to say enough is enough. The car wanted to jump forward in stop and go traffic. If I hadn't been ready for it and had my foot on the brake, my car would have creamed the car in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I've never heard of the DCT "Bucking", very interesting. No lights came on in the cluster (overheating, check engine etc)? I would be curious to hear if there are any codes stored. May be a wheel speed sensor or ABS Sensor too?
I experienced the bucking and at times it was pretty severe. So it's not something that is a rare incident. And no codes, check engine light, or overheating either.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #52
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Yep, no lights, no CEL, nothing.

It was like coming to a stop light, in a manual car and not using the clutch. That's how hard it was bucking and killed the engine. But it was doing that in higher gears slowing down a couple of times.

I'm hoping the DCT DME just had a brain fart, but I'm not confident. I'm going to drive the car to my Indy on Tuesday night and leave it there and see what he can figure out.

I'll keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #53
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

I've had it buck/surge on me before, but it also would throw a red transmission overheating light at the same time. From what I understand it's the clutch slipping and not being able to figure out what gear to go into. This happens mostly when slowing down since the car is essentially on the clutch, but also at the ready to switch into the next gear. In a DCT, while slowing the car should theoretically be ready to engage the next gear down, but sometimes it slips and instead shifts up. It's quite weird indeed.

This is what I was experiencing and ultimately had my clutch replaced to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #54
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

This happened just pulling out of my neighborhood, no way it had any heat in it. Nor did any lights come on or anything.

It was very bizarre, and of course now I'm worried about the potential of multi-thousand dollar repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #55
rscott
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i DCT

I recently bought a 2013 135i DCT with just under 45K miles. It's stock as far as I know, though I did find a Dinan catalog in the battery well next to the tool kit. On my first test drive, I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary when taking off in first gear, but I'm coming from daily driving an e28 with a 4HP22 and a W126 300SD with a bunch of vacuum leaks for the last several years, so my perception of smoothness and delay is a bit warped. The service writer or whoever was driving my car into the car wash to give it a final clean noticed the hesitation when idling it forward, so I had an appointment scheduled to get looked at and have the DCT adaptations reset.

Driving the car over the last week, I do notice some weirdness when taking off from a stop unless I put my boot into it, and the RPMs tend to drop down to about 500 or so for a second or two when I come to a stop at a light. It does not feel like the engine is about to die or anything when they dip like that, in my e30 or e28 an RPM drop like that would make you think you had a vacuum leak or you were running out of gas. This clearly sounds like a milder version of the issues many have described in this thread, so I hope the DCT adaptation reset will fix the issue.

Other people have told me that they've noticed a big change in the DCT shift feel by bleeding the brakes and/or changing the brake pads because apparently it applies the brakes while shifting for some reason (?). Is this true? Even so, I don't think that would explain the RPMs dropping like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #56
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drove the car to the shop last night, and it seemed mostly OK. No bucking or trying to stall when coming to a stop.

But it still kind of seemed like it didn't know when it wanted to do sometimes.

I sent him the info from the first post and they are supposed to be looking at the car today. Fingers crossed all the recalibration stuff works.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #57
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Picked up the car yesterday. It seems to be driving even better than it was when I first bought it (Jan of last year 26k miles). I don't know if he specifically used the info from the first post, but the invoice said "Reprogramming and reset transmission shift and idle points."

Only charged me the standard diagnostic fee of $115 to update everything.

The car seems to shift a tad more quickly and more firmly. If it stays like this, I may actually consider doing a few light mods and keeping the car longer than I originally planned.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #58
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Based on what was put in the invoice, I'm betting he did exactly what I have posted. I've changed my mind about the DCT after having the adaptations reset by my dealer. I'm sure you're going to be good from here on out as I've been going on about 3 years since mine was done and everything has been fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #59
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

It still acts a touch strange, but it's probably 95% improved.

But this + multiple oil leaks and a few other things on a car with less than 34k miles has kind of soured me a bit.

Makes me regret having it ceramic coated and such like that. If it acts right, I'll keep it through the end of the year, then likely get something that isn't such a maintenance hog.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #60
rscott
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott View Post
I recently bought a 2013 135i DCT with just under 45K miles. It's stock as far as I know, though I did find a Dinan catalog in the battery well next to the tool kit. On my first test drive, I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary when taking off in first gear, but I'm coming from daily driving an e28 with a 4HP22 and a W126 300SD with a bunch of vacuum leaks for the last several years, so my perception of smoothness and delay is a bit warped. The service writer or whoever was driving my car into the car wash to give it a final clean noticed the hesitation when idling it forward, so I had an appointment scheduled to get looked at and have the DCT adaptations reset.

Driving the car over the last week, I do notice some weirdness when taking off from a stop unless I put my boot into it, and the RPMs tend to drop down to about 500 or so for a second or two when I come to a stop at a light. It does not feel like the engine is about to die or anything when they dip like that, in my e30 or e28 an RPM drop like that would make you think you had a vacuum leak or you were running out of gas. This clearly sounds like a milder version of the issues many have described in this thread, so I hope the DCT adaptation reset will fix the issue.

Other people have told me that they've noticed a big change in the DCT shift feel by bleeding the brakes and/or changing the brake pads because apparently it applies the brakes while shifting for some reason (?). Is this true? Even so, I don't think that would explain the RPMs dropping like that.
Got the car back from the dealership this morning, it definitely feels like it shifts differently than before, but I'm not sure if it's really better. It still does the weird RPM thing when coming to a stop, the idle drops down to like 500, then swings back up to about 1100 before settling in around 650-700, which feels a tad low because I can feel the tiniest bit of vibration that disappears when the RPMs are 800+.

They didn't drive it hardly at all when they had it, less than 2 miles total so I guess I'll drive it around a bit more and see how the transmission DME decides to act.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #61
rscott
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott View Post
Got the car back from the dealership this morning, it definitely feels like it shifts differently than before, but I'm not sure if it's really better. It still does the weird RPM thing when coming to a stop, the idle drops down to like 500, then swings back up to about 1100 before settling in around 650-700, which feels a tad low because I can feel the tiniest bit of vibration that disappears when the RPMs are 800+.

They didn't drive it hardly at all when they had it, less than 2 miles total so I guess I'll drive it around a bit more and see how the transmission DME decides to act.
The DCT issues seem to be getting worse. Twice while I was driving to work this morning the car did nothing for a solid second (long enough that I looked down at the tach to see if the engine had died or something) and then lurched forward as the RPMs shot up to 1500.
Appreciate 1
Upgrade+129.50
      04-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #62
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

When my DCT was slipping/overheating, I would accelerate, the RPMs would climb (different than what rscott describes) then at some point it would finally grab and lurch forward. This was the worst it got. Again, it would ping me with the transmission overheating light the whole time though. I think you mentioned you aren't getting any lights or errors or anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #63
rscott
Rep

No error messages or warning lights, no codes came up when they scanned it at the dealership. It seemed fine this morning though, these intermittent issues are the worst.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #64
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Mine seems to have settled in and doesn't try to die at idle when coming to a stop.

But it still doesn't like a "rolling stop," and certain situations. I've learned to mostly drive around it.
Appreciate 1
Upgrade+129.50
      06-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #65
homewrecker07
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E88

I have to report that my 2 years of issues with surging with A/C on has been solved!

I've had the car updated to the latest DME sometime last year but it didn't really go away. Car seemed to shift a little better but the issue was still there.

I just found these threads and saw that Bimmergeek's Protool can reset adaptations. I finally downloaded the tool, hooked up my K+DCAN cable with a OTG USB-C dongle and connected. Bought their diagnostic license and reset every adaptation I could find.

Under Drivetrain
Engine -> Functions -> Clear Adaptations
Transmission -> Functions -> Clear adaptations (there were 6, i cleared them all).

NO MORE SURGING WHEN COMING TO STOP!
View post on imgur.com

Also the shifts seems smoother in nonsport mode and faster in sports, that could be the buttdyno speaking

I'm elated now, thank you BimmerGeeks !
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5137.00
      06-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #66
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker07 View Post
I have to report that my 2 years of issues with surging with A/C on has been solved!

I've had the car updated to the latest DME sometime last year but it didn't really go away. Car seemed to shift a little better but the issue was still there.

I just found these threads and saw that Bimmergeek's Protool can reset adaptations. I finally downloaded the tool, hooked up my K+DCAN cable with a OTG USB-C dongle and connected. Bought their diagnostic license and reset every adaptation I could find.

Under Drivetrain
Engine -> Functions -> Clear Adaptations
Transmission -> Functions -> Clear adaptations (there were 6, i cleared them all).

NO MORE SURGING WHEN COMING TO STOP!
View post on imgur.com

Also the shifts seems smoother in nonsport mode and faster in sports, that could be the buttdyno speaking

I'm elated now, thank you BimmerGeeks !
Yep. Glad you were able to resolve your problem. Your results mirror my experience and my thoughts on the subject. The real fix is to reset the adaptations and not any of these other things such as updating the DME to the latest firmware nor any of the tuning updates (PPK, Dinan, MHD, etc.)
Appreciate 0