BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #1
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Alpine A110 as replacement for 1M?

Like the title says . . . has anyone done it or thought about it? Any strong opinions?

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 04:45 AM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Unfortunately not sold in the US.

Being a huge fan of vintage Alpines if this was sold in the US I think it's maybe the ONLY car that could tempt me into getting one. I don't think it is a direct replacement for the 1M since the 1M has a backseat and serves as our family car; something the A110 could never do.

To me the A110 is far more desirable than any Cayman or M2 or whatever else....such a cool little car that's light and modern and wonderful.
      09-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #3
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

So far its got very good praise and reviews from the press. And I love the car . Got a good interior too IMO.

My only gripe is a personal, which is that its only available with the dual clutch gearbox.
Appreciate 2
10"4964.50
duder13767.00
      09-27-2018, 02:50 AM   #4
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

We have almost the same thoughts but not for the 1M but the M2. I'm thinking to go for the new Alpine A110 instead of the M2. From the beginning, i didn't like the car. Has nothing to do with the 1M style and character. I drove both the M2 and M2 competition and ok, the technology is impressive but this is it. In the 1M you fight to get what you deserve. I really love it. Next week i will fly to France to see and test drive the A110. In a way, i already know what will keep company next to the M3 CSL and the 1M!
      10-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

The new Alpine looks fantastic, but it's tragic that it's not available with a manual (or available in the US.)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
The new Alpine looks fantastic, but it's tragic that it's not available with a manual (or available in the US.)
It was done this way to save weight. True story...the A110 is all about weight savings and they developed a DCT gearbox lighter than a manual gearbox for this car....I agree I'd love this in a manual but honestly I'd take it in any gearbox if they sold it in the US.

Alpine have done this right.
      10-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
It was done this way to save weight. True story...the A110 is all about weight savings and they developed a DCT gearbox lighter than a manual gearbox for this car....I agree I'd love this in a manual but honestly I'd take it in any gearbox if they sold it in the US.

Alpine have done this right.
How much lighter? 10lbs, 100lbs? It's not worth it to me, even if it was 100lbs. Plus, I think they're looking for excuses. According to the chief engineer, “[A manual] was considered early on in the project but we shelved it pretty quickly because okay, there’s a hardcore client out there who will always want a manual gearbox even though I can prove the dual-clutch is more efficient. But the percentage of those people is very, very small, and the business case is overwhelmingly for DCT transmissions. We’re very happy with the result and we think 95 per cent of our customers will be too.”

Here's my take. It's one thing to only have a DCT/Auto in world beating cars, when ultimate speed is the primary goal, but cars like the 1M, M2, 718, A110, 4C, and even the 911, etc., are as much about fun and feel as outright speed, and I'd never buy a car like that without a manual. I'd pay thousands extra for a manual, if need be.

Last edited by duder13; 10-02-2018 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
FIRSTM143.50
      10-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
How much lighter? 10lbs, 100lbs? It's not worth it to me, even if it was 100lbs. Plus, I think they're looking for excuses. According to the chief engineer, “[A manual] was considered early on in the project but we shelved it pretty quickly because okay, there’s a hardcore client out there who will always want a manual gearbox even though I can prove the dual-clutch is more efficient. But the percentage of those people is very, very small, and the business case is overwhelmingly for DCT transmissions. We’re very happy with the result and we think 95 per cent of our customers will be too.”

Here's my take. It's one thing to only have a DCT/Auto in world beating cars, when ultimate speed is the primary goal, but cars like the 1M, M2, 718, A110, 4C, and even the 911, etc., are as much about fun and feel as outright speed, and I'd never buy a car like that without a manual. I'd pay thousands extra for a manual, if need be.
hey i agree with you about manual...

BUT having been a massive fan of the Alpine marque for years, have studied the history of the marque, and have been following the development very closely as well as pre-development; it needs to be understood that Alpine, as a brand, was historically always about focused engineering of race/rally cars and of sports cars. 100 lbs is huge when you're talking about a 2350 lb sports car.

The reality is that as a NEW car that is relaunching the marque of Alpine this 'new' A110 had to be of its own time and we can certainly agree that in the broad, general view of the automotive industry and of sports cars; the DCT gearbox is the current standard gearbox of performance cars.

Do i agree with that? not for me. But as a whole for the industry it's absolutely true. The relaunch of Alpine had to be a success for them....and to appeal to the widest audience they had to do it this way. I do believe the weight savings though...
      10-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
hey i agree with you about manual...

BUT having been a massive fan of the Alpine marque for years, have studied the history of the marque, and have been following the development very closely as well as pre-development; it needs to be understood that Alpine, as a brand, was historically always about focused engineering of race/rally cars and of sports cars. 100 lbs is huge when you're talking about a 2350 lb sports car.

The reality is that as a NEW car that is relaunching the marque of Alpine this 'new' A110 had to be of its own time and we can certainly agree that in the broad, general view of the automotive industry and of sports cars; the DCT gearbox is the current standard gearbox of performance cars.

Do i agree with that? not for me. But as a whole for the industry it's absolutely true. The relaunch of Alpine had to be a success for them....and to appeal to the widest audience they had to do it this way. I do believe the weight savings though...
I don't know. It seems to me that this car isn't that concerned about being a race car first (the GT4 looks great, though.). Quotes like below are telling me that they want this to be just another luxury sport coupe. The carbon quote shows they must not have cared THAT much about weight vs luxury.

To be honest, I hope this A110 sells slowly, like the manual-less Alfa 4C, so that the manual thing is reconsidered in future cars, at least until everything is electric.

--
“We wanted this interior to be a nice place to be, and not just for half an hour. We’re very proud of the low, narrow sill. You can get out of this car wearing a skirt! It’s not a pain in the ass every day."

and

“Early on, it was on our blank sheet of paper, along with steel construction, or an aluminium-composite hybrid. Our solution, we think, is unbeatable for weight, stiffness, and build quality. If you use carbon, panel gaps are not so great, finish is not perfect, and you have to have [good fit and finish] in 2017. You can’t be building a car that’s a bit shoddy these days…”
Appreciate 1
10"4964.50
      10-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't know. It seems to me that this car isn't that concerned about being a race car first (the GT4 looks great, though.). Quotes like below are telling me that they want this to be just another luxury sport coupe. The carbon quote shows they must not have cared THAT much about weight vs luxury.

To be honest, I hope this A110 sells slowly, like the manual-less Alfa 4C, so that the manual thing is reconsidered in future cars, at least until everything is electric.

--
“We wanted this interior to be a nice place to be, and not just for half an hour. We’re very proud of the low, narrow sill. You can get out of this car wearing a skirt! It’s not a pain in the ass every day."

and

“Early on, it was on our blank sheet of paper, along with steel construction, or an aluminium-composite hybrid. Our solution, we think, is unbeatable for weight, stiffness, and build quality. If you use carbon, panel gaps are not so great, finish is not perfect, and you have to have [good fit and finish] in 2017. You can’t be building a car that’s a bit shoddy these days…”
from what i know, they're selling out every car that comes up for sale quite rapidly.....with a waiting list. sorry man!!!

i hope the car is such a huge failure they are forced to sell cars in the US to get rid of them!!!!
      10-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
from what i know, they're selling out every car that comes up for sale quite rapidly.....with a waiting list. sorry man!!!

i hope the car is such a huge failure they are forced to sell cars in the US to get rid of them!!!!
We'll see. I remember when people were on the 4C waiting list, too.

I think the A110 is the most beautiful car to come out in a while, and I do love the light weight. Here's hoping they build a new 2+2 version with a manual for the USA. If they only bring a DCT version to the USA, it would be a hard pass for me. Even the Lamborghini I drove with paddle shifters bummed me out.
Appreciate 1
10"4964.50
      10-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
We'll see. I remember when people were on the 4C waiting list, too.

I think the A110 is the most beautiful car to come out in a while, and I do love the light weight. Here's hoping they build a new 2+2 version with a manual for the USA. If they only bring a DCT version to the USA, it would be a hard pass for me. Even the Lamborghini I drove with paddle shifters bummed me out.
you could always buy a Lotus Evora!!! 2+2 with manual, mid engined!! not nearly as cool as the A110 but good looking!!

10-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
you could always buy a Lotus Evora!!! 2+2 with manual, mid engined!! not nearly as cool as the A110 but good looking!!

Great minds think alike. I immediately started looking at them after I made that post. lol

I think as soon as I don’t need an actually usable back seat, I’ll probably get another Porsche, but the Lotus is interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

I have both, they are very different cars, it is hard to even compare them. I prefer the 1M though. I like the brute force and looks of the 1M.

The Alpine has a lightness that is very hard to replicate, it steers and brakes amazingly, and the suspension is so ahead of the 1M. I feels like a civilized Lotus Elise, all the comforts and technology you need and still 100% a sports car.
Appreciate 2
duder13767.00
10"4964.50
      10-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

https://jalopnik.com/the-alpine-a110...amo-1829651499
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcgd21 View Post
I have both, they are very different cars, it is hard to even compare them. I prefer the 1M though. I like the brute force and looks of the 1M.

The Alpine has a lightness that is very hard to replicate, it steers and brakes amazingly, and the suspension is so ahead of the 1M. I feels like a civilized Lotus Elise, all the comforts and technology you need and still 100% a sports car.
Any photos of them together? Pretty much my favourite 2 modern cars!! Lucky man!
      10-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Sorry, I think it's fugly.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #18
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I’d have to agree - it looks sort of like a Del Sol and an Angry Pig made a love child ...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #19
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Looks a little like that Toyota Celica from the late 80's maybe early 90's???

It's an awesome car....but, I hate to agree it's not fantastic looking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #20
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post

Are you kidding man? Haha. The design is based on classic Alpines.

The original A110, to me, is one of the greatest cars ever made. Makes the original 911 look and feel like a fat boat

Alpines are less about form and more about function. The original A110 the first car to officially win the World Rally Championship.
Attached Images

10-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #21
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post

Are you kidding man? Haha. The design is based on classic Alpines.

The original A110, to me, is one of the greatest cars ever made. Makes the original 911 look and feel like a fat boat

Alpines are less about form and more about function. The original A110 the first car to officially win the World Rally Championship.
It's not terrible.....🤣

Think I like the older classic one a little more than the newer one 😎

Something about the lights I just can't figure out?

In any case, no doubt it is an awesome drivers car.....from what I've read and seen. Never had the opportunity to drive one tho.

I always believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder 😉

When I purchased my 1M over a base 2013 911.....I got a ton of shit for it. But, at this time in my life, it's what I preferred. Rather wait and save up my $$$ for a GT3 anyway 😁
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #22
ol'mate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Being a Reno nutter I would defiantly consider the A110 as a 1M replacement.
1105kgs + 185kw is a good thing.

James May from The Grand Tour has just bought one.

Just a little concerned with after sales service, not sure how good it'd be.
Hope they bring a dealer to QLD
Appreciate 0