BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #67
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

Guys, give the poor E-Diff a chance. If you want a drift monster go buy a S2000 or something. Most of you complaining so much about a LSD really just want them to play on the streets with and not the track, and BMW knows this and does not want bad press like the 18 yr old M5 issue. There will be a lot more young drivers with wealthy parents giving there kids 135i's than M cars. So risk is much higher if they give a LSD and not make it Understeer a little. There will be other companies that will make a LSD for those who truely want to make this a serious track car, and those people will pay the huge money for it. Would I have liked a LSD...hell yeah, but I am not complaining because I have not driven the E-diff yet and know that for general autocross and club track days it will most likely be fine and it is better than nothing, and I understand why BMW is doing what they are doing.

People buy a used M3 for the same money if you are so hell bent on an LSD and quit turning every damn thread into a LSD bitch session.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #68
FreeBMW.net
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Agreed 100%

The question I have is: do the 335 sport coupe have the same e-diff system as the 135???

I have driven several 335 & they peg legged pretty bad!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #69
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
Guys, give the poor E-Diff a chance. If you want a drift monster go buy a S2000 or something. Most of you complaining so much about a LSD really just want them to play on the streets with and not the track, and BMW knows this and does not want bad press like the 18 yr old M5 issue. There will be a lot more young drivers with wealthy parents giving there kids 135i's than M cars. So risk is much higher if they give a LSD and not make it Understeer a little. There will be other companies that will make a LSD for those who truely want to make this a serious track car, and those people will pay the huge money for it. Would I have liked a LSD...hell yeah, but I am not complaining because I have not driven the E-diff yet and know that for general autocross and club track days it will most likely be fine and it is better than nothing, and I understand why BMW is doing what they are doing.

People buy a used M3 for the same money if you are so hell bent on an LSD and quit turning every damn thread into a LSD bitch session.
The 335 isn't competitive in AutoX specifically for that reason. Coming out of slow corners, they are simply unable to put power down.

How is the LSD "unsafe" compared to the e-diff? I think you are confusing the "safety" issue with the dialed in understeer with the e-diff. Its not a safety issue, its a BMW cost-cutting issue.

Maybe some of us autoxers and trackers don't think a $35k+ car with the sporting ambitions this car has should require the outlay of another $4k for an aftermarket,warranty affecting, LSD. Maybe all of us don't have the extra $4k cash lying around.

IMHO, you can't give a car with that kid of low-end grunt an open diff. That's almost as bad as not giving it a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #70
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

So when will this aerodynamic package be released? I want it on my 128i!!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #71
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-n-1 View Post
so much for promising the wifey that I will minimally mod this car
OMG...Same here. I put a limit on myself of 5 major upgrades.

Doesn't look like that is going to be happening over here either.
      01-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #72
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBMW View Post
Agreed 100%

The question I have is: do the 335 sport coupe have the same e-diff system as the 135???

I have driven several 335 & they peg legged pretty bad!
You are right they do. And no they do not!
      01-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #73
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
lol that's my dealer. small world.
Can you find out from your dealer how much the steering wheel is and what is involved in installing it? I am keen on this. The carbon stuff looks real cool too. I wonder how much the interior carbon trim is...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #74
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

It's not that easy to put an LSd on an E90. BMW made it almost impossible without spending BIG cash. You can get an LSD pretty reasonably priced, but there something to do with some welding BMW did with the newer E90/92's that prevents a simple rear screw swap.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #75
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Can you find out from your dealer how much the steering wheel is and what is involved in installing it? I am keen on this. The carbon stuff looks real cool too. I wonder how much the interior carbon trim is...
Changing the wheel out on an E36 and E46 wasn't too hard at all. If someone did a DYI, it should be pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #76
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

I wonder if the short shifter is included in the 1-series since it say's the arm is only for the 335i.
Grassroots review also praised the shifter in it's review.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:18 AM   #77
Mike Roberts
Sideways just kicked in, yo!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Just a thought on the pricing guys - if you're ordering your car with these bits on from new, then surely they'll be cheaper than the 'off the shelf' quotes we've seen?

It'll all be in lieu of something hopefully, so bucket seats in lieu of sports seats, performance suspension in lieu of M-sport suspension etc.. so it might not be as costly as it first seems?

I guess a few people will be putting their spec on hold until they see the new packages.

My shopping list:
Full bodykit + carbon splitter/valance/mirrors/spoiler
Seats
Suspension & strut brace
Short shift
Brakes
Air intake & exhaust

I think the brushed alu will break up the black interior a bit better than carbon.
I want BBS LMs, so don't need the wheels
I can't help worrying the steering wheel is (a) impossible to clean and will look rotten after 12 months of sweaty hands and (b) unnecessary, do I really need any of the functions?.. the less wheel clutter the better.

M3 control arms, ARBs, bushes and some other stuff....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 05:26 AM   #78
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

But what about snow?

Quote:

Now, this really is a dumb question, because I still don't really know what an LSD is for, but wouldn't it be useful for driving on snow and ice, rather than having all of the power coming from one wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #79
pousa13
Moonstone F11
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
Now, this really is a dumb question, because I still don't really know what an LSD is for, but wouldn't it be useful for driving on snow and ice, rather than having all of the power coming from one wheel?

thatīs your opinion but i think a lot of people would be overstrained with the power on the snow
i like the way bmw managed it to give these people a little more power by switching on the dtc so they always have the dsc in reserve

the 335i is not equiped with the e-diff from the 135i as far as i know (i can remember a german television programm where the 335i was producing white smok on the inner wheel by stepping on the pedal in a corner)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #80
mikey
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
I wonder if they got these sweet aero parts from that catalog?

Holy crap! Is that really what the Weatherford shop looks like on the inside?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #81
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Wow how kick-ass.
      01-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #82
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Outstanding...!

Now, if BMW would release a tad "bit" more info on the Clubsport version I will be able to make my decision whether to hold off for that... or just buy a 135i and put about $15k -$20k in upgrades into that. :iono:

Damn I hate making decisions.....lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #83
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

No, I don't have an opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pousa13 View Post
thatīs your opinion but i think a lot of people would be overstrained with the power on the snow
i like the way bmw managed it to give these people a little more power by switching on the dtc so they always have the dsc in reserve

the 335i is not equiped with the e-diff from the 135i as far as i know (i can remember a german television programm where the 335i was producing white smok on the inner wheel by stepping on the pedal in a corner)
I know next to nothing about this. I'm way too ignorant to have an opinion. I was just wondering whether an LSD would give you more traction and stability on snow or make it less likely to get stuck.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #84
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
I know next to nothing about this. I'm way too ignorant to have an opinion. I was just wondering whether an LSD would give you more traction and stability on snow or make it less likely to get stuck.

No the E-diff is better in snow...!

Matter-of-fact a BMW engineer has suggested that the eDiff was specifically designed for the track and specifically tuned for the 135i to allow the ass-end to hang out quite a bit.

If you've seen any 135i drifting video's I think you can see this come into play. Not to mention the dual patch burnouts people are doing.

I'm a proponent of LSD's... but I know BMW engineering. I'd likely bet that many here touting they want an LSD, if told this car had one... they wouldn't know the difference!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #85
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
No the E-diff is better in snow...!
This is wrong (a real LSD always helps traction in snow as well as pavement). The choice between a real LSD and an E-diff is not necessary (it's a false choice). The proper way to equip a sportscar is with BOTH a mechanical LSD and then add electronic (E-diff) control (which can be turned off). This is how Porsche has done things since 1995 (Porsche's version of E-diff is ABD or Automatic Braking Differential).
      02-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #86
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
This is wrong (a real LSD always helps traction in snow as well as pavement). The choice between a real LSD and an E-diff is not necessary (it's a false choice). The proper way to equip a sportscar is with BOTH a mechanical LSD and then add electronic (E-diff) control (which can be turned off). This is how Porsche has done things since 1995 (Porsche's version of E-diff is ABD or Automatic Braking Differential).
I'm no porsche expert but isn't the lsd an option on the new 911tt's? I don't believe they're standard equipment..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #87
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
I'm no porsche expert but isn't the lsd an option on the new 911tt's? I don't believe they're standard equipment..
They are a free option in Europe on the Carrera and they are standard on all the GT models (GT2, GT3, Carrera GT). Optional on the Turbo and not available at all on the US Carreras or Boxster/Cayman. Should be available on every model. They are intentionally held back from the Boxster/Cayman models, so their performance doesn't threaten the 911
      02-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #88
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
They are a free option in Europe on the Carrera and they are standard on all the GT models (GT2, GT3, Carrera GT). Optional on the Turbo and not available at all on the US Carreras or Boxster/Cayman. Should be available on every model. They are intentionally held back from the Boxster/Cayman models, so their performance doesn't threaten the 911
True.. Fwiw, the ADB system on the open diffed Porsches doesn't get many good reviews... I hope BMW was able to best the pork chop implementation.
Appreciate 0