BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #45
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Very curious how Borla, Magna, Dyno will sound. I would think Magnaflow might be the cheapest along with Dynomax.
$1400 is quite a bit for the CP-E. I agree the Corsa sounds really good but a little ricey.

Listened to the CP-E several times, it sounds like a Ferrari. Cool.
The Corsa has a low rumble at idle pulling out of the garage thats really cool.
Need to get some numbers on all the diff exhausts. Can't wait to hear Borla.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #46
sturgis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Custom Exhaust

I've been watching this thread for a while and was thinking about doing an exhaust on a budget. I removed the resonator today and swapped for a custom made Y pipe, unfortunately there were no noticeable gains in sound quality. I work as an assistant to a mechanic so I have access to lots of toys(tools) and have been thinking about cutting open the stock muffler and removing some or all of the baffles and then welding her back up and seeing how she sounds. Any thoughts? has anyone done this before?

While removal of the stock resonator didn't yield any sound gains it does weigh about 10lbs so I guess I did a minor weight reduction for $65 today.

Sorry about the picture quality i'll try and get a better shot of the internals tomorrow when the sun is up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #47
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
I've been watching this thread for a while and was thinking about doing an exhaust on a budget. I removed the resonator today and swapped for a custom made Y pipe, unfortunately there were no noticeable gains in sound quality. I work as an assistant to a mechanic so I have access to lots of toys(tools) and have been thinking about cutting open the stock muffler and removing some or all of the baffles and then welding her back up and seeing how she sounds. Any thoughts? has anyone done this before?

While removal of the stock resonator didn't yield any sound gains it does weigh about 10lbs so I guess I did a minor weight reduction for $65 today.

Sorry about the picture quality i'll try and get a better shot of the internals tomorrow when the sun is up.
I believe nobody in this forum has mentioned having done this before. We would be very interested in seeing how it would sound after being debaffled. It's worth a try!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #48
sturgis
Enlisted Member
Rep

of course it's worth a try, It's always worth a try when it's not your car!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #49
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
of course it's worth a try, It's always worth a try when it's not your car!
You're also one of the few who has access to all the right tools to do this. :wink:
If you were nearby, I would offer you to try it on my car. I'm replacing the exhaust/muffler anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #50
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim135 View Post
i prefer the cpe sound but the tips are more beautifull in corsa
+ 1 Agree

After viewing all those sound clips, for my ears the CP-e sounds the best, but the Corsa looks the best, ie: the twin tips...

Maybe you could get a different/nicer looking set of tips installed on the CP-e system ??

Do any of these void warranty ??

Wonder if these or similar are or will be available in all countries ??
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #51
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Thumbs up Riss Racing Catless Downpipe exhaust sound!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #52
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

hahaha, i like the parking garage, trees, and streetlights that border your "street-legal racetrack"!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #53
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

The Eisenmann system is almost done with R&D and should be available in the next few months. It will be a great option for the 1 series guys and is sure to carry the great sound that Eisenmann is known for. I'll keep you all posted and video will be available as soon as we get a prototype in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #54
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Anthony can you suggest whether you will be offering both race and sport versions for the 1 or just one?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #55
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The Eisenmann system is almost done with R&D and should be available in the next few months. It will be a great option for the 1 series guys and is sure to carry the great sound that Eisenmann is known for. I'll keep you all posted and video will be available as soon as we get a prototype in the USA.
hell yeaaaaa Eisenmann all the wayyyy
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #56
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
Anthony can you suggest whether you will be offering both race and sport versions for the 1 or just one?
i am sure that there will be a sport version and a race version
like always
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #57
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Isnt that picture a Catalytic converter??? I thought the 2 resonators are right before the Cat??

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #58
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
Isnt that picture a Catalytic converter??? I thought the 2 resonators are right before the Cat??
Yes, that is the catalytic converter.

EDIT: To correct myself, that is the resonator.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #59
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Yes, that is the catalytic converter.

Soooo. Wouldn't that throw a serious Code???

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #60
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
No. My header back (preliminary catback) setup doesn't not throw any codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #61
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
The pic is misleading. He was referring to the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #62
Texas
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 & E88

Garage List
Quote:
That picture is not the cat. There are 4 cats on the 135i. One in each downpipe and then one in each pipe before the 2 pipes converge at the resonator. Sturgis cut off the resonator an that is the picture that he posted.
      06-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #63
sturgis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you Texas, that is the resonator that I removed. And Blklacker, out of the 4 cats only the foreward two have o2 sensors, so technically the 2 cats located further aft can be removed w/o a throwing any codes or cel's

a quick update: after driving with the resonator removed for a few weeks now, I would not advise it as there is more resonance (who could have guessed) and a slightly tinier raspy sound, it is hard to notice, but especially prominent when the motor is cold and the A/C is running. I am currently on a short vacation, but will be re-installing the resonator when I get home.

Debaffling the muffler: I have done some research on how muffler's work and have found that there are (correct me if im wrong) two main types of mufflers one uses glass (fibers) as insulation and the other uses a series of chambers (usually two). I am worried that BMW employs the later, the issue being that there simply aren't any baffles to cut out if this is the case. Thats because this design uses an entry hole and a resonation chamber to cancel sound before the sound waves exit through the exhaust pipe (tips). The reason the sound cancelation works is due to the size of the chamber which is precisely engineered to cancel noise by bouncing incoming waves off a wall and inversely matching the incoming wavelength. In theory, in order for it to work incoming trough's much match outgoing crests precisely.

If you have no Idea what I'm trying to say check here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler4.htm

Anyways: I may be putting this experiment on hold, until I have the funds to buy an aftermarket system outright if I screw things up, Unless someone can enlighten me on the inards of the stock muffler then I would be happy to try it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #64
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
As you may know, the BMW performance exhaust removes this resonator. I'm wondering if the performance exhaust's muffler offsets any raspiness that you refer to. I'm really curious to hear how the performance exhaust sounds with the resonator intact.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 04:17 AM   #65
DRosS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 VF34 WRX

Here's a new one...and it so happens to be my fav. I already have it on order. Riss Racing 135i Catback:
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #66
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

2nd on that^ i was just about to post a link to it.
Appreciate 0