BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

"Reduced Power" warning symbol

Ok so I just found this out on another thread and wondered if anyone knows more bout this.. I started getting this symbol after installing my RR downpipes.. and never could understand what that was.. kept thinking it was a CEL..

Usually when I am driving my car this occurs after I pass the 3-4k rev mark.. once I restart my car it disappears and reoccurs when I do the same thing.

I am getting the BT tool to scan my ecu soon but thats in a few weeks. Wondered if anyone can provide me with a bit more info or insight on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

That is a CEL. Do you have catted or cattless DP's?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Catted.. and already got the O2sim.. really dun understand why the O2 doesn't stop that problem.. I am hoping the BT tool will help me understand more.. investing some money in that.. but would like to see if anyone has simliar problems and has a resolution.. I was also pretty disappointed that the catted DPs got 3 CELs.. the standard 2 that catless downpipes would get and this one right here that comes on and off when I push the car..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Hmmm, have you double checked to see if the o2 sims were installed correctly? It's seems like it would be pretty easy to switch some wires around it seems... Have you contacted Riss yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Hmmm, have you double checked to see if the o2 sims were installed correctly? It's seems like it would be pretty easy to switch some wires around it seems... Have you contacted Riss yet?
Ya contacted RR.. I reinstalled it 2 times however I asked them to send me the resistors again just in case.. then when I get those and the BT tool I am going to try again.. for sure I will be doing this without the JB3 attach even tho this happened when I didnt have the tune on..

Someone said that the symbol means I have less power.. man that means when this is fixed my cars going to fly since right now with the symbol on I am still going pretty quick..thats something good to look forward too.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Ya contacted RR.. I reinstalled it 2 times however I asked them to send me the resistors again just in case.. then when I get those and the BT tool I am going to try again.. for sure I will be doing this without the JB3 attach even tho this happened when I didnt have the tune on..

Someone said that the symbol means I have less power.. man that means when this is fixed my cars going to fly since right now with the symbol on I am still going pretty quick..thats something good to look forward too.
Dang, I don't have any more suggestions... Maybe you got a lemon o2 sim box, or one of those cars that simply doesn't take well to mods
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Dang, I don't have any more suggestions... Maybe you got a lemon o2 sim box, or one of those cars that simply doesn't take well to mods
LOL its ok thanks for the help though.. those are suggestions that I need from forum members who might know more then me.. if I get the resistors and the BT tool and it still doesn't fit the problem I am going to talk to Anthony to see if I can trade or buy another O2sim unit and see if that solves the problem..

I don't think its the car because I had an intake, oil catch can and SSTT before the switch to JB3 and adding the downpipes.. but who knows right..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

she has great boobs
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:22 AM   #9
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
The warning light that you're talking about doesn't sound like an O2 sim issue. After I installed my RR catless downpipes and before I put in the O2 sim I got a warning light, but it wasn't the reduced power one. It was a SES light (service engine soon). It would not go away after turning off the car and didn't go away until I drove with O2 sim in for quite a few miles. It sounds to me like your car is going into limp mode, which could be a number of things. Obviously the most common culprit is the HPFP. I think it was just a coincidences that this happened after the downpipe install and your symptoms match those I've read from others with a failing HPFP.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Do you need O2 sims with catted downpipes? I thought there was no need for that at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post

There are two seperate indications. There's a "Service Engine Soon" indicator that's a dedicated lamp, but there's also "Reduced Power" (limp mode) which come up in the multi-function display. It's possible to have one without the other.

The SES light is generally an indication that something emissions related isn't working properly, and that's what you get if you're running catless DPs with no O2 sims. Mine's on right now for that reason.

The reduced power is usually brought on by something like high oil temps, but I've also seen it come on due to misfires. When that happenes I get both lights. The Reduced Power will go away when you restart, but the SES sticks around for a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
turbobmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
Do you need O2 sims with catted downpipes? I thought there was no need for that at all.
I have the RR catted downpipes and my car throws the cat efficiency codes too. I am going try and get some spacers for the downstream O2 sensors to get them out of the direct exhaust stream to see if that will keep the code from triggering. Otherwise I should have just gone the catless and O2 sims route.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobmw View Post
I have the RR catted downpipes and my car throws the cat efficiency codes too. I am going try and get some spacers for the downstream O2 sensors to get them out of the direct exhaust stream to see if that will keep the code from triggering. Otherwise I should have just gone the catless and O2 sims route.
The OBDII test that checks the cats seems to be really touchy in these cars. It's a shame because that means you guys that bought the catted pipes still have to put up with the same diagnostics issue the catless ones cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The OBDII test that checks the cats seems to be really touchy in these cars. It's a shame because that means you guys that bought the catted pipes still have to put up with the same diagnostics issue the catless ones cause.
Well honestly if I knew the catted DPs were going to throw the same codes as the catless I could have saved $400.00 going catless and non coated.. I just spend a whole lot to get a whole less.. and more issues.. and I don't think its the HPFP because I've been driving this for 3 months and it disappears like another member said once I restart the car and if I drive casually it doesn't even come on.. I guess I got to wait for the resistors and the BT tool to do a diagnositics and reinstall..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well honestly if I knew the catted DPs were going to throw the same codes as the catless I could have saved $400.00 going catless and non coated.. I just spend a whole lot to get a whole less.. and more issues.. and I don't think its the HPFP because I've been driving this for 3 months and it disappears like another member said once I restart the car and if I drive casually it doesn't even come on.. I guess I got to wait for the resistors and the BT tool to do a diagnositics and reinstall..

Mine did the same thing for a while. I pulled a "random missfire" code from it, but it would only happen on long trips so it was hard to track down. The strange thing is, after I installed the JB3, it stopped happening. I read where another member had a bad coil that was diagnosed by switching them around and watching the code move to a different cylinder, so maybe that's what's going on.

Maybe it's unrelated to the DPs?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Those are the same symptoms described by people with a failing HPFP or the misfire issue that Jeremy mentioned. This does not sound like an O2 sensor thing to me. It wouldn't go away on a restart if it was.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

i have a question. if getting catted downpipes still causes a check engine light or an SES light...why purchase them?
      02-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep

I had this same problem here are a few things to check. If you have ever used an additive or race gas it may be your plugs, the N54 runs cold and hates fuel additives and the plugs get an orange coating and causes misfires at high RPMs. The other problem is that your fuel pump maybe going. The other is if you have a AFE intake and your are running without scoops the air maybe to hot and causing the limp. I would check out the plugs first though good luck.
      02-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
raolc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
i have a question. if getting catted downpipes still causes a check engine light or an SES light...why purchase them?
Because most of the time they don't. This is supposed to be a rare occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
untouchableE82
1Addict, and Proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 modified 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
i feel sorry for you man, its been a long time since you had this problem.
the new look: Widebody 135i
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...98#post7686798
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Are you seeing the same amount of psi? What does your boost gauge say?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #22
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Are you seeing the same amount of psi? What does your boost gauge say?
Don't have a boost gauge.. Well after I get the resistors and reinstall the o2 plus use the bt tool to check it all out we'll see.. the worse thing is that its friggin cold here and the conditions for me to work on my car is horrible.. if all outs fails I'll remove all my mods back to normal and use the BT tool to remove all codes and go to the dealership (just dont want to unstall stuff which cost $$$ like the DPs if thats not the issue). This will probably occur during march as I have not recieved the replacement resistors and the BT tool I got from Mike hasn't arrived yet.
Appreciate 0