BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #23
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Looks like it belongs on a satellite with that gold coating.

I like that its a different design and not just another CAI. Could be cool... let them get some dyno sheets up and lets see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #24
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrewsn View Post
Promising... I guess you better install your tune before hand though, doesn't look like an easy/fast install

If you're spending $1500 on an intake, chances are the tune you're running is going to be a little more substantial than the SSTT or JB+, which are the ones that require access under the air filter.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Looks like it belongs on a satellite with that gold coating.

...don't forget the bottom of the Lunar lander.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #26
brracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 135i, Mini Cooper S -

Don't mind the questions...don't mind the concerns....welcome all inquiries, as we want to be the producer of the BEST solutions, not just a new product trying to hit a soft spot, nor an early adopter. And, look for the forthcoming Dinan CAI for the BMW 135i, and if you think this ASR intake isn't the best value, performance, complete solution...then you will see for yourself by what other true design firms produce and the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
are those air filters the Stainless Steel Mesh type ?
BRracing - Yes, filter are SS mesh type

Can you please explain the physics behind this closed CAI implementation vs a regular open CAI? I think you are creating some pressure somewhere in the chambers ?

BRracing - the issue w intakes, like exhaust, is that we want the best "flow"
for the air as possible....better flow, greater pressure, means more air, which means more fuel, which means more power. The next piece, is the "density" of the air charge. With turbos, there are two elements for the air density, the intake temperature of the air before compression by the turbo, and the cooling of the charged air after the turbo (where intercoolers come into play).
Most intake systems that we have seen to date have only addressed part of the problem, just replacing the stock intake box w either dual intake filters, and eliminating the intake scoops from the front, or a closed system, but again, one that does not provide a pressure equalizer or best case, a pressure builder for the intake air. When the other intake systems have an open system (just filter for an example), you lose one benefit of the stock system, and you can induce a bigger problem (the heat in the engine bay of the 135i is very high), and w open filters sucking engine bay air, the ambient temperature of the air goes UP rather than down, hence, you are actually reducing power capability by this method rather than improving it.
The new ASR intake addresses both issues...increases the scoop size and utilizes the stock intake routing to the closed intake box...thereby increasing the pressure into the intake box and improving flow to the turbos, and two, having a closed box that takes its air from the outside, and given its size, reduces the air temperature and hence increases the density of the air charge. Both of these are proven methods to increase performance.

ASR does have Dyno numbers...but I'm more interested in seat of the pants results, as many have seen that dyno's can be run to make it look impressive, but not deliver true value. This is the reason we don't just market solutions, but we test and evaluate them ourselves, and we run them on our own cars. We have the intake on our car, and we don't just drive the car, we track test it LOTS....and are happy to put our car up against anyones in terms of performance.

To answer the other question - the intake does NOT come w the gold foil. That is an addition that we felt would be a further improvement to address the heat issue...and can be added to any system, but the GOLD foil is NOT cheap ($30 a linear foot, takes about 4 - 5' of foil to completely cover the intake).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #27
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Nice design overall. I've never been a fan of open element intakes. However, I'd suggest you guys produce this from sheet metal instead of aluminum to bring down the cost down and maybe incorporate options for color. I'm trying to get iCarbon to produce a unit like GruppeM's carbon fiber intake at a lower cost. I don't think you're going to get anyone to bite at that price. At even half that price it should really "wow" people aesthetically, in addition to being a performer.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #28
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Guys, we designed this intake quite sometime ago to work with our TT upgrades. The stock airbox simply just does not have the cavity or surface area needed to supply enough airflow volume to support boosted stock turbos much less our TT upgrades. These increased airflow values are way beyond the VE (Volumetric Efficiency) range of what the stock airbox can support.

That being said, many have chosen to the cost effective cone filter route that seems to work better than stock. The problem with this type of intake is that it is no longer utilizing a pressurized intake design like factory. Another problem is the level of hot air that being induced into the intake tract from a open air cone filter type system. Intake air temps have a direct relation to the adaptive ignition timing advance on an N54 application. Every degree of ignition timing advance results in more hp per degree of advance, than hp per lb of boost.

This intake design has supported up to 538whp and 530wtq with our TT upgrades, which no stock airbox or open air cone filters have the cfm capability to support that kind of power. BR Racing will be doing some dyno testing to show what kind of gains can be expected with this intake. What everyone has to keep in mind is that the gains are going to be relatively different based on a stock vehicle vs. a tuned vehicle with mods.

Lastly, as far as the installation time is concerned, the whole process takes roughly 20-30 minutes for an average person to do. It looks much more difficult than it actually is. We have done this install several times before and get it done in about 15-20 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #29
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
Where do the filters pull air from? It looks as if they are trapped
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #30
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
Nice design overall. I've never been a fan of open element intakes. However, I'd suggest you guys produce this from sheet metal instead of aluminum to bring down the cost down and maybe incorporate options for color.
The word I heard, direct from the mouth of Steve Dinan is that plastic (ABS or whatever) is the best material, as the heat retention of the plastic is much lower than almost any metal, which helps keep the air temperature in the box down.

I'm no CAI expert, but that makes a lot of sense to me.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #31
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The filters pull air from the modified factory air snorkel tube. This tube has custom air scoops in front of it designed to force more air in and increase VE of the airbox.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #32
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToolGuy View Post
The word I heard, direct from the mouth of Steve Dinan is that plastic (ABS or whatever) is the best material, as the heat retention of the plastic is much lower than almost any metal, which helps keep the air temperature in the box down.

I'm no CAI expert, but that makes a lot of sense to me.

Have Fun,
Rick
This information holds true based on the same exact box design made out of two different materials, and only at 0mph. The fact of the matter is that this airbox provides more volume and cooler air not only through out the rpm band at different road speeds, but at idle as well. Our air intake temp datalogs back up this information and provide hard proof of this over a stock plastic airbox. Furthermore, from a physics standpoint, once airflow velocity begins there is no heatsoak to speak of wether the intake is made of stainless steel or plastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #33
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

I'm sure if you guys posted some data logs and a dyno chart there would be much less talking to do in order to sell the product. I like really the idea, hope the data proves it works as planned because I've been waiting to see an aftermarket intake worth purchasing. What are your thoughts on the Ultimate Racing's intake? It may not create a positive pressure at the intake point but it does address the air density/temp issue and also may be less restrictive to the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #34
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

looking forward to seeing those dyno numbers.

will you be able to have oiled k&n filters in there or will it be specialized filters?
      11-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #35
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
Nice design overall. I've never been a fan of open element intakes. However, I'd suggest you guys produce this from sheet metal instead of aluminum to bring down the cost down and maybe incorporate options for color. I'm trying to get iCarbon to produce a unit like GruppeM's carbon fiber intake at a lower cost. I don't think you're going to get anyone to bite at that price. At even half that price it should really "wow" people aesthetically, in addition to being a performer.
I think you are forgetting that it includes a new charge pipe with a TiAL BOV which is probably costs more than the intake box and filters.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #36
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

not to get OT but have you addressed the narrow air ducts that that wrap around the motor to the turbo inlets? Is that even a restriction worth addressing?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #37
emos325
Streifenden Komet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 525i was a 325is

Garage List
looks good, now we need to address 1) if a strut bar can fit over top of it.(that may be your next piece) 2) how easy is it to swap the filters to k&n oiled filters? 3)how tight can we torque those 4 screws on top to keep the closed pressure system optimum. 4) if you are running AST's 5300 series coilover how can we keep the top of our strut tower clean of too many wires? what potential does this system have of more clamps to keep it nice and neat. <--- went to your sight and saw more pics just a few different ideas that could make it an ultimate one stop shop kind of product, claps could be removable if you are running a different set up. Instructions for the DIYerw/all minor materials? These seem like off topic ?'s but for me factory look as well as performance is what i have in mind. When the data logs and dyno sheets come out i will have to compare and see which is worth more.JMHO!! THX in advance for the answers!!
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow; F- That just go to driving school and you can do both.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #38
brracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 135i, Mini Cooper S -

Quote:
Originally Posted by emos325 View Post
looks good, now we need to address 1) if a strut bar can fit over top of it.(that may be your next piece)
BRracing - the strut bar is not an issue w the intake, but it can be an issue w the type of suspension installed (as you can see, w the AST 5300's we have installed, we are not running the strut tower brace...but, most don't understand the need or value of the strut tower brace, and outward flex has not been demonstrated to be an issue in suspension tuning of this car, but all flex is bad overall
2) how easy is it to swap the filters to k&n oiled filters?
BRracing - we will offer two pricing options on the filters, either the more expensive SS mesh, or K&N (lots cheaper)....but both flow essentially the same, so no loss in performance in the choice (JB's intake has been installed w the K&N's as a further test and validation)
3)how tight can we torque those 4 screws on top to keep the closed pressure system optimum.
BRracing - you can torque them to high heaven...but, we can incorporate other securing options if there appears to be concern or doubt
4) if you are running AST's 5300 series coilover how can we keep the top of our strut tower clean of too many wires?
BRracing - love the AST's...for all sorts of reasons, but we wanted the BEST suspension solution and value, we were not concerned w too many wires on top of the strut towers, and w as many adjustments we make, the easier the adjustment, the more likely we and others will be to get the adaptation to the setting needed
(5)what potential does this system have of more clamps to keep it nice and neat. <--- went to your sight and saw more pics just a few different ideas that could make it an ultimate one stop shop kind of product, claps could be removable if you are running a different set up.
BRracing - not sure an answer is needed here
(6) Will have full instructions and pics for the DIY, as the install is fairly easy (takes a little longer than 15 - 20 minutes for the first time installer, just due to lack of familiarity w the surrounding stuff
Instructions for the DIYerw/all minor materials? These seem like off topic ?'s but for me factory look as well as performance is what i have in mind. When the data logs and dyno sheets come out i will have to compare and see which is worth more.JMHO!! THX in advance for the answers!!
(7) someone asked about making it out of steel rather than Alum...yet someone else wants plastic (which would make it far more expensive)....hence, we didn't want the weight and issues of steel, and the market doesn't support the investment to make the plastic molds (would cost over $70k for complete and refined molds....been there, done that, and if this forum is a test bed, market is not there)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #39
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Wow that is awesome. From what ive read the open dual cone systems actually lead to power looses over stock. This could be good for alotta people.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #40
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr engineering View Post
Yes
Why ?

you may as well throw a bucket of sand in there too !!!!

I like what you are doing, but that filter media is a grave concern to me.
      11-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #41
mixxer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xi

We dont just want end results dyno #'s they are worthless. You need before and after on same car same day.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #42
KdF135i
Rep
Drives: Lots of Torque

Would also like to know if there is clearance for; Mason Strut brace and dual Forge DV's......
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #43
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
Why ?

you may as well throw a bucket of sand in there too !!!!

I like what you are doing, but that filter media is a grave concern to me.
Can you prove or support your statement with factual data? Here's our proof and data. These filters are 250 micron stainless mesh elements. These same filters have been tested for years on our TT Porsche applications without any negative affect on the compressor or mass meters. They have also been tested in Dubai and Kuwait with our CAI for the S85 M5's, with no negative affect to the mass meters or debris in the engine as welll. In case you aren't familiar they have weekly sandstorms there and the sand is like powder.

These are not some cheap china made e-bay filters. The cost for these filters is higher than the K&N alternative which we have offered to BR Racing as well. As a matter of fact check out the attached thread for pics of the K&N installed on the same airbox. Although, the K&N filters does not have the same cfm flow rate capability as the Stainless Mesh filters, they can still support above the max CFM rating of the stock turbos.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=asr
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #44
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdF135i View Post
Would also like to know if there is clearance for; Mason Strut brace and dual Forge DV's......
The airbox was designed in conjunction with our chargepipe kit to provide as much cavity space as possible for VE. This is why no other chargepipe will work with our airbox. If you break down the price, the chargepipe falls within the same price range as most others on the market. Although, our chargepipe does come with a Tial valve and factory style CNC Billet throttle body flange to mate to the factory C-Clip as well as a Billet CNC map sensor flange.

We haven't tested it with the strut brace you're referring to, so I can't give you an honest answer.
Appreciate 0