BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
chbj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Convertible (gone)

"Service Engine Soon" light without any other problems

Yesterday the "service engine soon" light came on when I started the car at work. I will take it to the dealer next week to see what's up.

Interestingly enough no other problems. No loss of power, no rough idling, no nothing. Before you start talking about long cranks and HPFPs:
  • I already had the HPFP replaced 5K miles ago. I know what a bad HPFP feels like and there are no indications of any issue with it.
  • From the beginning my car takes about 5 to 6 secs to start when cold, so no change here.
Will be interesting to see what the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
chbj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

As of this morning the service engine soon light doesn't stay on anymore. I guess the car fixed itself. Saved me a trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
joeo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson Red 135i

Garage List
2009 BMM 135i  [9.50]
I would still get it checked out by the dealer. The code will be stored.

-Joe
http://www.lovehorsepower.com
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbj View Post
Yesterday the "service engine soon" light came on when I started the car at work. I will take it to the dealer next week to see what's up.

Interestingly enough no other problems. No loss of power, no rough idling, no nothing. Before you start talking about long cranks and HPFPs:
  • I already had the HPFP replaced 5K miles ago. I know what a bad HPFP feels like and there are no indications of any issue with it.
  • From the beginning my car takes about 5 to 6 secs to start when cold, so no change here.
Will be interesting to see what the problem is.

Is it just me, or does "5 to 6 secs to start when cold" seem like a LONG time?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
chbj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
I noticed that some people here think that is long, but my previous car (a 997) was very similar in that. So I never found that to be odd. It's always started and idled smooth.

When my HPFP failed with 3K miles it was a very sudden failure.

I might get the failure code checked out as suggested if the dealer has a loaner available next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty View Post

It sounds very long compared to what I'm used to seeing from my car. I don't think it even cranks a full second before it fires, except the last couple of days when the temperature is down near zero, and even then it probably doesn't make it to two seconds.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
SPEZNAS92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It sounds very long compared to what I'm used to seeing from my car. I don't think it even cranks a full second before it fires, except the last couple of days when the temperature is down near zero, and even then it probably doesn't make it to two seconds.
+1 just have them read the code I went through 3 fuel pumps in under 18k miles.
E92 BMW 335i
E82 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbj View Post
I noticed that some people here think that is long, but my previous car (a 997) was very similar in that. So I never found that to be odd. It's always started and idled smooth.

When my HPFP failed with 3K miles it was a very sudden failure.

I might get the failure code checked out as suggested if the dealer has a loaner available next week.
Probably a good idea for you to check it out with your dealer again. When I think about it and count it out 1001, 1002,...1005 that's a long time for me. Seems like your 'normal' starts are actually worse than my long starts when my SES light came on for my fuel pump (replaced at 1300miles). Normal starts for me have always been less than a second even in very cold weather.

FWIW, when my long starts began the car still idled smooth and seemed to drive just fine even though the pump was dying.
Appreciate 0