BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

More N55 info

this article seems to be a little more in depth (compared to the bmw press release) to the specifics of the new n55 motor.

World debut: TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC in a new straight-six gasoline engine.

The history of BMW`s modern turbo engines going back to the year 2006 is characterised by spectacular power and exemplary efficiency. And now BMW is opening up a new chapter in this history, the straight-six gasoline engine powering the BMW 535i Gran Turismo consistently continuing the process of optimising engine power while at the same time reducing both fuel consumption and CO2 emissions on an engine of this calibre.

The 3.0-litre power unit, for example, is yet a further result of the BMW *EfficientDynamics development strategy, offering a range of highlights in technology never seen before on any other engine - highlights created in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics and now ideally matched for optimum driving dynamics and economy all in one.

The new straight-six is the world`s first engine to combine turbocharging, direct gasoline injection and fully variable VALVETRONIC valve management developed by BMW. The turbocharging process follows the twin-scroll principle already applied successfully by the BMW Group and now further enhanced consistently for use in a particularly powerful and sporting straight-six.

The combination of this turbocharger technology with High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC exclusive to BMW exceeds even the response and *efficiency of the BMW Twin Turbo power unit launched back in 2006.

Response even better than before, fuel consumption even lower.

VALVETRONIC has already proven its qualities in numerous BMW engines the world over as a particularly effective technology providing even greater efficiency. The big advantage of VALVETRONIC is the infinite control and adjustment of valve stroke on the intake valves, making the throttle butterfly used in former times superfluous. VALVETRONIC reduces throttle losses in the charge cycle process to an absolute minimum and optimises engine response since the air mass required to control the combustion process is masterminded in the engine itself and not outside the power unit with the usual "dead" volume. This ensures particularly efficient use of the energy contained in the fuel, developing a very muscular torque curve and giving the engine optimum response.

In particular, the better response of a VALVETRONIC engine results from the fact that underpressure under part load is only approximately 50 millibar, while on a conventional engine up to 800 millibar of underpressure has to be set off.

On the BMW 535i Gran Turismo the VALVETRONIC functions have been optimised again by a new adjuster complete with a fully integrated sensor serving above all to make the adjustment process even faster than before. Indeed, the inertia factor on the new adjuster is only one-tenth the figure on the former model, serving to further improve engine response.

Responding smoothly, directly and immediately to the gas pedal, the new straight-six is clearly the leader in its class also in this discipline. Maximum torque of 400 Newton-metres/295 lb-ft, for example, comes at just 1,200 rpm.

Apart from the optimised VALVETRONIC control unit, the newly developed turbocharger also contributes to this superiority, ensuring a particularly spontaneous build-up of power since the ducts of three cylinders at a time are separated from one another both in the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger.

In practice, this means particularly low exhaust gas counter-pressure at low engine speeds, the double ducts then enabling the flow of gas to build up greater dynamism in the exhaust manifold and powerfully drive the turbocharger blades even at low engine speeds. Twin-scroll technology thus combines the benefits of two turbochargers within one system. And now this principle adapted to the BMW straight-six with its high standard of technology marks the ongoing, consistent development of BMW`s turbocharged engines.

High Precision Injection with new injector nozzles.

The VALVETRONIC system is fully integrated in the cylinder head. This intelligent and extremely compact arrangement allows a direct combination with High Precision Injection with its injection nozzles placed in the middle between the valves and, therefore, in the immediate vicinity of the spark plug in the cylinder head.

High Precision Injection in the new six-cylinder delivers fuel through innovative multi-hole valves at an injection pressure increased once again in large areas all the way to 200 bar. This ensures extremely precise dosage of the fuel injected as well as a particularly clean combustion process. And last but not least in this context, the direct injection of fuel serves to cool the fuel/air mixture and increase the compression ratio to a higher level than in a turbocharged engine with manifold injection - an advantage contributing once again to the greater power of the straight-six.

Displacing 2,979 cc, the new power unit delivers maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp. It therefore offers all the torque and muscle of a significantly larger eight-cylinder, but comes with much lower weight and significantly lower fuel consumption and emissions. It is indeed far lighter than a comparably powerful eight-cylinder and remains even 4 kilos lighter than the straight-six turbocharged engine already well-established in the market.

The BMW 535i Gran Turismo accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in 6.3 seconds and reaches an electronically limited top speed of 250 km/h or 155 mph. The unusually good balance of performance and fuel consumption is clearly expressed by average fuel consumption in the combined EU cycle of just 8.9 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 31.7 mpg imp. And the CO2 rating of the BMW 535i Gran Turismo is just 209 grams per kilometre.

The BMW 535i Gran Turismo, like the other two model variants, comes as standard with a wide range of BMW EfficientDynamics technology. *Supplementing the excellent efficiency of the respective engine and the eight-speed automatic transmission, features such as Brake Energy Regeneration, on-demand management and operation of ancillary units including the electrical coolant pump, the electrical power assistance pump and the detachable a/c compressor, as well as consistent lightweight engineering, optimised aerodynamics including active management of air flaps, and tyres with reduced roll resistance, ensure optimum fuel economy and emission management at all times.

The power unit of the BMW 535i Gran Turismo is the first turbocharged engine to feature a map-controlled oil pump which, taking up less energy, makes a further contribution to motoring efficiency. Yet a further point is that the new straight-six power unit with turbocharger, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC, does not require sulphur-free fuel and may therefore be used without problems the world over. The final point is that the engine naturally fulfils both the EU5 emission standard in Europe and the ULEV II standard in the USA.
      01-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Good info.

I just rolled the dice between the N54 and N55 and my 2010 is on the boat with a delivery to me in 2 weeks. All the reading I've done on the new N55 doesnt impress me thus far. Alot more complication for what seems like same HP/TQ production. Minor weight savings, minor fuel economy(1 MPG better in one report I'be seen). And much more difficult to do power enhancing mods. And when in the future, after warranty is up Im thinking its going to be an expensive nightmare to work on. Right now Im happy with my decision but time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Good info.

I just rolled the dice between the N54 and N55 and my 2010 is on the boat with a delivery to me in 2 weeks. All the reading I've done on the new N55 doesnt impress me thus far. Alot more complication for what seems like same HP/TQ production. Minor weight savings, minor fuel economy(1 MPG better in one report I'be seen). And much more difficult to do power enhancing mods. And when in the future, after warranty is up Im thinking its going to be an expensive nightmare to work on. Right now Im happy with my decision but time will tell.
i'm really interested in how the hpfp problem will be resolved. and also very interested to see actual dyno numbers from the new motor.
      01-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Im curious to see dynos also. The fuel pump issues arent related to the engine though. If BMW gets their shit together and finally fix the pump issues for the 2011 model it should benefit earlier cars also.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Im curious to see dynos also. The fuel pump issues arent related to the engine though. If BMW gets their shit together and finally fix the pump issues for the 2011 model it should benefit earlier cars also.
i wasn't sure if the new motor actually uses the same part for the hpfp as the n54. i would think that the fuel pump would have to be basically the same which says that the likely hood of the new motor having the same fuel pump as the n54 is probable. i guess we'll wait and see...
      01-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
SpaceGhost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

I readon e90post that the HPFPs are different in design.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Full torque at 1200 rpm's! That is 200 rpm's sooner.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
dbtk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I wonder how tuneable it is?
      01-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
335isGuy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw 340xi Msport

Garage List
Some tuners are saying that it will be difficult but anything is possible. I bet when tunes start to come out that this motor will put out some serious power. Cant wait HEHEHEHE!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
SpaceGhost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Terry and Shiv are smart guys. Between them, GIAC, ESS, and the others, there will be options for those wnating more performance. Early N55 adopters may have to drive stock for a little while though.

I wonder if the BT will still pick up all of the codes etc assoc with the new ECU? I hope so. I regularly thank my lucky stars for the BT tool and my easy access to 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

I dont know about you guys but I really dont need or want peak TQ at 1200rpm! I really dont understand why thats a selling point.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
335isGuy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw 340xi Msport

Garage List
For AutoX's maybe. Im a track guy but hey, more pull out of the corners is nice. It doesnt matter to me either way. Just get the tunes out lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Quote:
I dont know about you guys but I really dont need or want peak TQ at 1200rpm! I really dont understand why thats a selling point.
agreed, i like taking it all the way up and even in the n54 I feel somewhat silly going all the way to the red line.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
agreed, i like taking it all the way up and even in the n54 I feel somewhat silly going all the way to the red line.
Thats the thing, there is no point in taking an N54 to redline. The power drops off at just above 5K. Even on a full throttle acceleration I shift at about 6K.

That being said, I dont see anything wrong with the N55, heck, its even minus 1 cat in the DPs, so it might be a bit faster due to less back pressure...maybe

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Thats the thing, there is no point in taking an N54 to redline. The power drops off at just above 5K. Even on a full throttle acceleration I shift at about 6K.

That being said, I dont see anything wrong with the N55, heck, its even minus 1 cat in the DPs, so it might be a bit faster due to less back pressure...maybe
Thats another thing. They give you peak TQ damn near off idle and claim thats the best thing since sliced bread and then dont do anything to let the car breathe better at higher revs! Every dyno I see(even chipped with exhaust) has the engine falling flat close to 5K rpm! Yeah that flat TQ curve is great but for an engine that wants to run with the big dogs it needs to make power all the way up to redline. Im guess those small turbos are the cause. They spool up real fast with very little lag for the TQ at 1200 but run out of breathing higher up. Wish we could have both.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Thats another thing. They give you peak TQ damn near off idle and claim thats the best thing since sliced bread and then dont do anything to let the car breathe better at higher revs! Every dyno I see(even chipped with exhaust) has the engine falling flat close to 5K rpm! Yeah that flat TQ curve is great but for an engine that wants to run with the big dogs it needs to make power all the way up tp redline. Im guess those small turbos are the cause. They spool up real fast with very little lag for the TQ at 1200 but run out of breathing higher up. Wish we could have both.
I think its more than that. Even with a Dinan tune the torque drops off. Dinan cites the reason as keeping high boost off the car at those levels of RPM helps maintain engine longevity.

But Id be willing to bet that its an excuse because of the small turbos.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #17
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Gobs of low rpm torque is what the N54 is all about.
Makes it feel like a much bigger motor.
Power everywhere but with a boost taper at higher rpm's to save longevity.
How many times has it won motor of the year?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #18
Gogud
Private
Rep
Drives:

The reason that the boost is tapered is to keep the turbos from overspeeding. Good for longevity? Of course...An overspeeding turbo will certainly wear out fast and if it spins fast enough, it will disintegrate. Dynan is a bit conservative on the top end for this reason. Some of the other tuners don't taper as much.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iGuy View Post
For AutoX's maybe. Im a track guy but hey, more pull out of the corners is nice. It doesnt matter to me either way. Just get the tunes out lol.

Since when do you go down to 1200 RPM on a track?
      02-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

The N55 engine sounds excellent judging by the video review of the new 535i on track (on bimmerpost). A lot better than the N54, especially up top. A bit strange considering they are very similar! I can't figure out why the N55 has such a sweet note to it in that vid???
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #21
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Yes the turbos get moving plenty fast and they want to keep that slower but getting the power in the top end can be accomplished in other ways. Ever notice the size of our intake manifold. Or the length of the runners. It's tiny and they're long. If you want to take your low end power and make it high end power then reverse this. If you take X number of liters X psi and X rpm you get X amount of power. The only question is where you want it to come in. Subaru Mazda Chevy Ford Audi and every other manufacturer out there has a 300hp 6 or 4 cylinder. If your like me and bought this car for the performance then you could have spent alot less and had peak torque and hp closer to 6, 7 or even 8k. But I wanted to put my foot down in any gear and have power without waiting for a turbo to spool or to reach my power band. And that's what I have!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #22
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

For those who haven't read...I posted this earlier. Also note, Edmunds just reviewed a 2011 335i with the N55 and mentioned it is noticeably quieter than the N54...others have also mentioned that. Definitely a bummer.

Previous Post:

"There has already been talk from the big wigs, through the grapevine, as to why the replacement…not only to comply with better emissions standards as well as the public’s yearning for better mpg, but it’s all about saving the moolah! Cheaper to produce and potentially maintain. If they could, they would’ve put n55s with more power in the IS cars but the N54 performance kits have passed US and international emissions standards long ago…meaning they have paid their dues and duty fees for standardizing it already. That just means they’re trying to get the last invested drops out of this powerplant because it is cost effective and they don’t need to pay to re-standardize an n55 with more power (it costs millions of dollars to do this). Car companies are being very careful how they spend their money these days. A little birdie also already told me stock N55s are out-performing the N54 handily on the test tracks...45lbs lighter and more responsive out of the corners…not to mention it runs much cooler than an n54. Yowza! Discuss."