BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Installing N55 mids + BMWPE Resonator delete (PE axle-back previously fitted) on N54 135i.

Job for today?

Install these:

Onto this:

By removing this:

Cutting off this:

Sanding down these:

Making sure I didn't F-up the cuts like this:

Fitting like this:

Sounds like this:

I see you just went ahead and did it Jam.

Love the sound man. I think that I'm definitely going to have to go ahead and do this myself. I have gutted N54 mids as opposed to N55 mids but I like the sound of them at the moment.

I wonder if it's possible to get the BMWP exhaust and somehow modify it to make a quad exhaust...
      02-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I see you just went ahead and did it Jam.

Love the sound man. I think that I'm definitely going to have to go ahead and do this myself. I have gutted N54 mids as opposed to N55 mids but I like the sound of them at the moment.

I wonder if it's possible to get the BMWP exhaust and somehow modify it to make a quad exhaust...
Yeah, I kind of just thought that if I didn't like it, it would be easy to just bolt on the resonator in place of the Y-Pipe. Right now it's hella loud, cold start makes my brain vibrate and at around 2-2.5k RPM when pushing on it and opening up the throttle wide from lower in the rev-range (say 1500RPM) to get up some speed you get some cabin resonance. Cruising around town sounds no different really, part throttle sounds deep kind of like the ZHP E46 330Ci but a little louder, warm idle is deeper but not louder. Full throttle is where it's at, it screams a high pitched tone, sounds very high performing rather than ricey.

I cannot imagine this setup with catless DP's, I'd probably go as far as saying "don't do it" but instead get some Berk or Maddad style mids to tame it down, I don't even think the N55 resonator would be man enough. What I've found is that I get a little rasp sound when initially starting up, this is not vibration but what I believe is a characteristic of totally new, polished and coated pipe being bedded in...you know how new exhausts sound, a little tinny and less deep. The rasp is present only then and goes away when warm idling, partially remains on cold idling but is not present when driving or punching on it either. I imagine that with a fully catless car this rasp couldn't be muted and would probably extend to accelerating as well. If I ever go catless I'll be selling on the N55 mids (rewelded) and going for resonated mid-pipes. I guess you probably know this all anyway with gutted N54 mids, that must be loud also.

I'm giving it a few hundred miles for this pipe to soot up, it already sounds deeper after a good trip yesterday but it needs to come down a little more; not necessarily in volume but to lose a little of the raspy buzz you get on start up; then it's perfect.

As for converting a PE , I don't see why not. The Eisenmann quud uses a similar muffler right? I'm sure the muffler on the PE could be adapted the same.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh, to add I now have a lovely turbo whine from the exhaust and performance has picked up. It's not massive, never was going to be but there's definitely more power and urgency low down and less restraint up top. I realise this can be a placebo so I took her to a road I know whell where I also know the character of the car like an extension of myself; results were that it bit hard and span up low down while reaching higher speed more quickly than I am used to on this particular stretch.

A very good mod on an N54
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Yeah, I kind of just thought that if I didn't like it, it would be easy to just bolt on the resonator in place of the Y-Pipe. Right now it's hella loud, cold start makes my brain vibrate and at around 2-2.5k RPM when pushing on it and opening up the throttle wide from lower in the rev-range (say 1500RPM) to get up some speed you get some cabin resonance. Cruising around town sounds no different really, part throttle sounds deep kind of like the ZHP E46 330Ci but a little louder, warm idle is deeper but not louder. Full throttle is where it's at, it screams a high pitched tone, sounds very high performing rather than ricey.

I cannot imagine this setup with catless DP's, I'd probably go as far as saying "don't do it" but instead get some Berk or Maddad style mids to tame it down, I don't even think the N55 resonator would be man enough. What I've found is that I get a little rasp sound when initially starting up, this is not vibration but what I believe is a characteristic of totally new, polished and coated pipe being bedded in...you know how new exhausts sound, a little tinny and less deep. The rasp is present only then and goes away when warm idling, partially remains on cold idling but is not present when driving or punching on it either. I imagine that with a fully catless car this rasp couldn't be muted and would probably extend to accelerating as well. If I ever go catless I'll be selling on the N55 mids (rewelded) and going for resonated mid-pipes. I guess you probably know this all anyway with gutted N54 mids, that must be loud also.

I'm giving it a few hundred miles for this pipe to soot up, it already sounds deeper after a good trip yesterday but it needs to come down a little more; not necessarily in volume but to lose a little of the raspy buzz you get on start up; then it's perfect.

As for converting a PE , I don't see why not. The Eisenmann quud uses a similar muffler right? I'm sure the muffler on the PE could be adapted the same.

Thanks for that. I reckon the PE as a quad would be awesome.

By the way, to reduce the drone, you could possibly consider just getting some pipe cut out and resonators welded in. I had a friend do this and he said it helped a lot. He has catless DPs and the N55 midpipes with stock exhaust (with 'golf tee mod'). It might be cheaper than buying a set of berk mids but I guess it would affect re-saleability if that's of concern.

I have stock DPs and stock axleback with the 'golf tee' mod. It's pretty damn loud already at cold start and when driving haha. I think that the new PROcede maps (which set the default wastegate position to 50% rather than 90% closed) might have something to do with it though. If I go catless DPs and/or the PE exhaust I'll probably go down the route of removing the gutted cats altogether and welding in resonators. I still have my stock N54 pipes lying around. I bought the gutted N54 pipes for $250 shipped.
      02-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #27
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

That it would, has a lovely tone but I'd wait to pick up a cheap one before cutting it

The drone isn't really a biggy honestly, it's only there when you open the fully throttle up from 2k-ish RPM in a high gear, say 6th on a freeway just to bump up your speed. It's not there when crusing at any speed that I can tell although the exhaust note is louder over all.

I can now hear the pops and gurgles inside the car from time to time if the stereo is off, they are just crazy loud but as it's a coupe and well sound proofed you aren't stuck in the cabin with the exhaust tone like you would be in a hatchback, hence the drone isn't much at all either I guess. I was following one of those new McLaren 12C cars on Sunday, that was extremely loud on idle and gave some nice gurgles but my 1er made it look like a baby in that department, crackling all the way down a hill super loud...I think pedestrians were disappointed that it was my car and not the $$$$$$ supercar.

I'd say stick with your gutted midpipes, the only difference I could tell between N54 and N55 is that the N55 pipes seemed to be less bent. If you want to go louder then cut off that resonator (if that isn't gutted along with the cats); or louder still replace the axle-back with something noisy.

I wonder if an N55 car with PE & resonator delete would be as loud as what I've found?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

I've been meaning to order the N55 mids for my N54. Now thanks to you I think it's about time! I'm finally gonna get around to doing the golf tee mod too. The combination of the two should really beef up the exhaust to my liking. Like you, I'm not really interested in aftermarket midpipes or exhausts for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #29
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

This should work on the 335is exhaust too right?

And I'm just curious why the n55 doesn't have secondary cats like the n54 does?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Is the 335is N54?

If so I can't see why sticking N55 335i mids on would be an issue, they must follow the same path.

The N55 is a more fuel efficient engine with one large cat in the downpipe. The N54 is fairly polluting and as a consequence has four mid-sized cats to controll its emmissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #31
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy
Is the 335is N54?

If so I can't see why sticking N55 335i mids on would be an issue, they must follow the same path.

The N55 is a more fuel efficient engine with one large cat in the downpipe. The N54 is fairly polluting and as a consequence has four mid-sized cats to controll its emmissions.
Yeah the 335is has an n54. And that's interesting that the n54 pollutes the air so much more as it is really only about a 5 to 6 year old engine. However i guess technology changes quite rapidly these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
jsaw421
Belize
Rep
Drives: Go Kart Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Now IF only I had a BMW PE with some pops and gargling, I'd be a happy camper.
With the insight you provide to our community, I'd be happy to chip in for you to purchase PE.

Any others?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #33
phillye30fanboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang EB PP, 86 Notch

smokin mids, my *****
      02-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #34
mpiligrim
M-addict
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 Laguna seca, M5 f90 Com

Garage List
That should work for 1M too, am I right? ...
BMW M5 F90 Comp Peridot Green '19
BMW 1M Valencia Orange '11 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #35
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thumbs up

Great write-up sir. We've had many inquire regarding the N55 mid pipe retrofit; I'll be sending them here for an in-depth instructional!

I saw that you mentioned the mid pipe is currently going for approx. $333. Just an FYI to all members, our parts dept sells it for $243. Hopefully the savings allows more to enjoy this exhaust retrofit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
#18307599743 ~$333
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #36
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

That's an incredible price. For tuning the N54/N55, there is no better place than the USA; we have nothing in the U.K and what we do have is massively overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@McKennaPerformance View Post
Great write-up sir. We've had many inquire regarding the N55 mid pipe retrofit; I'll be sending them here for an in-depth instructional!

I saw that you mentioned the mid pipe is currently going for approx. $333. Just an FYI to all members, our parts dept sells it for $243. Hopefully the savings allows more to enjoy this exhaust retrofit!
That is an amazing price! I wish I paid so little for mine. But still the N55 mid pipe was well worth mod - it to me. Thanks for supporting us 1Addicts.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiligrim View Post
That should work for 1M too, am I right? ...
Yes, it will work for the 1M. The 1M has higher flow main and secondary cats... but still getting rid of the secondary cats will free up the exhaust flow.

I believe the N55 mids also solve the 1M's exhaust drone. The reason is the 1M has a "fake" resonator that is hollow(no fiberglass packing/sound deadening) while the N55's resonator is functional. See my link bellow...

found out something interesting about the 1M exhaust...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779462
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #39
josh135
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Nice write up! Sounds good as well.
      02-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #40
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@McKennaPerformance View Post

I just called your parts department and was given a price of $403.20 and they do not have them in stock. The website does say $243 but the guy said that must be incorrect.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #41
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Thanks for the writeup, Dack! I think I may go this route for midpipes to finish my exhaust.
      02-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #42
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I just called your parts department and was given a price of $403.20 and they do not have them in stock. The website does say $243 but the guy said that must be incorrect.
You need to call McKenna Performance for our online pricing. They were probably trying to charge you full retail!

PM me if you need assistance sir
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #43
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i // E92

How would these sound with cattless DP's? I'm guessing that's a bad idea considering you have no more cats... Any thoughts?

Or how about the N55 Midpipes, Catless DP's and PE Exhaust
      02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #44
conrad325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel410 View Post
Dack,
By any chance do you still have the donut gasket? If so, could you please measure the ID, OD, and height? Thanks!

For future reference, the axel back OEM tubing is about 2.75'' diameter.
Ok, here you go... I took some pics today.

OD is about 78mm's and ID is about 65mm's. 78mm's is just over 3"!

Attachment 815058

Attachment 815059

Attachment 815060

Attachment 815061

Attachment 815062
Seeing a measuring tape in cm is odd for me. Haha.