BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #89
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddtt View Post
If anyone wants one I have mine for sale in the Norcal area.
How much? If it's so great why you selling?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #90
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthltm View Post
How much? If it's so great why you selling?
$150. I'm selling because I'm selling the car.
Appreciate 1
Dthltm76.00
      03-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #91
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
$150. I'm selling because I'm selling the car.
Can you tell me a little bit more like if you wrapped all the holes including the little ones or just the three major ones, or had them welded shut? If you could also post or PM me some pics to show the condition of your setup just to make sure it isn't wrecked or beat to shit.

Last questions for everyone:

1) Do I have to do the golf tee mod to bring out the benefits and/or prevent the exhaust from building pressure and blowing the welds or wrap off?
2) How closely does this get to BMW PE levels of burble/pops and volume?

If I can get answers to those then I think I am your buyer for $150 shipped to Dallas, TX 75206.

Thanks everyone, sorry still fairly new to this.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #92
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

Quote:
Can you tell me a little bit more like if you wrapped all the holes including the little ones or just the three major ones, or had them welded shut? If you could also post or PM me some pics to show the condition of your setup just to make sure it isn't wrecked or beat to shit.

Last questions for everyone:

1) Do I have to do the golf tee mod to bring out the benefits and/or prevent the exhaust from building pressure and blowing the welds or wrap off?
2) How closely does this get to BMW PE levels of burble/pops and volume?

If I can get answers to those then I think I am your buyer for $150 shipped to Dallas, TX 75206.

Thanks everyone, sorry still fairly new to this.
Well to start, it would probably cost $150 just to ship it to dallas.

1) Golf tee mod just opens up the sound a little more. You could try it on your current exhaust just to see what it does. The pressure it causes or relieves doesn't matter to the wrapping.

2) I've never heard the BMW PE exhaust in person. If you just want more burbles I'd suggest trying the MHD tuning software. You can program in the levels of burbles. Here's a video of my setup. The difference is a bit more distinct than in the video. The video shows some pictures of how its wrapped.

3) The holes were wrapped with header wrap and stainless steel hose clamps. Both the large and small holes.

4) I'll add, for the N54 this mod is perfect with the N55 midpipes. Otherwise it is a very mild difference.

by
N55 midpipes in picture are already sold.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #93
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well to start, it would probably cost $150 just to ship it to dallas.

1) Golf tee mod just opens up the sound a little more. You could try it on your current exhaust just to see what it does. The pressure it causes or relieves doesn't matter to the wrapping.

2) I've never heard the BMW PE exhaust in person. If you just want more burbles I'd suggest trying the MHD tuning software. You can program in the levels of burbles. Here's a video of my setup. The difference is a bit more distinct than in the video. The video shows some pictures of how its wrapped.

3) The holes were wrapped with header wrap and stainless steel hose clamps. Both the large and small holes.

4) I'll add, for the N54 this mod is perfect with the N55 midpipes. Otherwise it is a very mild difference.

by
N55 midpipes in picture are already sold.
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have the tools or garage space to do the mod myself which is why I am open to buying one. I have a N55 but if I can get more noise for only $150 or so makes sense to me. I suppose you have my offer if you want to check shipping prices and get back to me. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #94
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Installed my PE mod exhaust. My car has the Y pipe.

The tone is slightly deeper but about 25-30% louder overall.

With the exhaust module, I can shut the flapper on demand, this definitely does make the setup quieter when you want it to be.

Great mod, highly recommend!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #95
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I'm reviving this in hopes of getting an answer to the following question:
In the stock setup (looking at the picture of its innards) when the flapper valve is shut the exhaust from the longer pipe (the one with the flap) exits through 3 large holes and ends up inside the muffler/resonator chamber while the shorter, perforated pipe flows freely.
If I weld those three big holes shut (basically a straight pipe now) but leave the other pipe as is, with the valve open the exhaust will flow through both pipes freely but with added loudness. Like the PE, which has no valve. All good.
Now, if I leave the flap functional - when it's closed - the exhaust gas has nowhere to go now but through the short perforated pipe, nice and muffled.
Makes sense.
But the pressure from the longer pipe has nowhere to go now - since there are no holes in it and it's closed off with the flap... How is the pressure relieved without creating major turbulence inside?
Or do I have it all wrong?
FYI, I wanted to use the ExhaustMeister module for those quiet mornings when all neighbors are still asleep...

Last edited by vinylengraver; 07-13-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #96
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
In the stock setup (looking at the picture of its innards) when the flapper valve is shut the exhaust from the longer pipe (the one with the flap) exits through 3 large holes and ends up inside the muffler/resonator chamber while the shorter, perforated pipe flows freely.
If I weld those three big holes shut (basically a straight pipe now) but leave the other pipe as is, with the valve open the exhaust will flow through both pipes freely but with added loudness. Like the PE, which has no valve. All good.
Now, if I leave the flap functional - when it's closed - the exhaust gas has nowhere to go now but through the short perforated pipe, nice and muffled.
Makes sense.
But the pressure from the longer pipe has nowhere to go now - since there are no holes in it and it's closed off with the flap... How is the pressure relieved without creating major turbulence inside?
FYI, I wanted to use the ExhaustMeister module for those quiet mornings when all neighbors are still asleep...
Bump
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 03:20 AM   #97
RVAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
Makes sense.
You have it wrong. When the flapper is closed in the muffled mode the more direct path of the three holes is blocked and the exhaust exits the perforations of the other pipe and is absorbed the packing material.

By welding the three holes and wrapping or welding some portion or all of the perforated holes on the other pipe you're creating a situation that in "quiet mode" it's considerably louder, and with the flap open it's much louder.

You can see my video with the ppk flash added for the burbles then flashed with an e85 tune as well. To me it sounds glorious.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #98
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAN View Post
You have it wrong. When the flapper is closed in the muffled mode the more direct path of the three holes is blocked and the exhaust exits the perforations of the other pipe and is absorbed the packing material.

By welding the three holes and wrapping or welding some portion or all of the perforated holes on the other pipe you're creating a situation that in "quiet mode" it's considerably louder, and with the flap open it's much louder.

You can see my video with the ppk flash added for the burbles then flashed with an e85 tune as well. To me it sounds glorious.
Can wrap and clamps be done to all the big and small holes in lieu of welding? I thought I read the answer is yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #99
RVAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E93 M3

Quote:
Can wrap and clamps be done to all the big and small holes in lieu of welding? I thought I read the answer is yes.
Yes you can wrap or clamp it as well. The pipe with the three holes will be the loud mode pipe. Wrap or clap that and it's louder in sport mode, but similar in normal mode. Wrap the perforated pipe and it's louder all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #100
E30_Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-Line 35i

Well crap... Just opened up the muffler off my N55 X1, and it appears to be different than the 135i. Like it has another internal chamber.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #101
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

Isnt this mod nothing but an equivalent to a muffler delete?

Explanation: You're covering the holes inside the muffler, exhaust no longer is being muffled. All that sound deadener inside muffler is of no use when the holes are closed.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #102
stevenzx
Private
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
I bought a spare muffler.. decided to cut it apart and make a project out of it. I pulled all the glass out of it.. not sure if I want to try it like that, or try to weld solid pipes in place of the perforated pipes.. I figure that is probably what the difference is with the PE..
is this spare muffler from 135i?
      02-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #103
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
Isnt this mod nothing but an equivalent to a muffler delete?

Explanation: You're covering the holes inside the muffler, exhaust no longer is being muffled. All that sound deadener inside muffler is of no use when the holes are closed.
That's what I am wondering. Are we missing something? You'd think it would be much louder than what people are reporting if it's equivalent to a muffler delete though.

I know that some people are only wrapping/welding some of the holes but others have closed them all off.

I guess the size and shape of the pipes running through the muffler still reduces the noise compared to straight pipes.

Last edited by woner; 02-24-2018 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #104
jktobin1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I just attempted this today, I used about 2 feet of exhaust wrap and some metal ties to clamp it on. To me there is almost no difference in sound, it is slightly deeper but almost unnoticed from inside the car. Not sure if I did not do something correctly but I plan to open it back up and try to get some more noise out of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #105
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Did this mod about 3 years ago. About 6 months ago either one of the clamps broke or slid of the header wrap or something but it's loose in there and makes a tin-y noise. Also, when the shop i went to re-installed my exhaust, they destroyed the bolts and instead jammed in Grade 8 SAE bolts, I'm sure destroyed the threads on the mid-pipe section etc. Should be fun #1 getting the exhaust back off, re-tapping the threaded section on the mid-pipe and either fixing this exhaust to get rid of the tin-y noise or getting a different exhaust on there.

Anyone else that used the header wrap method have the clamps come loose/make noise?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #106
Kheadley
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Msport 2013

Does anyone think just wrapping aluminum foil with a clamp or two would work?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 02:13 AM   #107
Mybimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 118d & E82 135i

I welded what holes I could get to with stainless mig. Then wrapped everything with stainless steel wool and clamped with stainless clamps. Then filled the muffler void with stainless steel wool. Welded shut with stainless tig. No drone and a good increase in a nice sound with a few burbles and pops (MHD stage 1+ burble off). Essentially now an after market straight thru muffler.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #108
Aibell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybimmer View Post
I welded what holes I could get to with stainless mig. Then wrapped everything with stainless steel wool and clamped with stainless clamps. Then filled the muffler void with stainless steel wool. Welded shut with stainless tig. No drone and a good increase in a nice sound with a few burbles and pops (MHD stage 1+ burble off). Essentially now an after market straight thru muffler.
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:51 PM   #109
Kheadley
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Msport 2013

Yo I just did the mod on my 135i n55, I welded shut the pipe with the large holes and 90 percent of the second pipe. No drone and wicked sound.
I used both welding and a tube of JB high heat welding, could've done the whole thing with the jb welding too.

I also have ppk and the golf tee (unplugged from trunk) ill post a video soon.

Last edited by Kheadley; 06-30-2019 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:24 AM   #110
Merbie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hey guys, any idea where i can best purchase a PE exhaust in the UK?
Appreciate 0