02-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #89
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

It's often difficult to determine someone's tone on the internet...
Kenny is always " taking the piss"..

All in good humour... Unfortunatley as you said, very hard to determine on the net..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #90
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
So on a more performance oriented note, I have a question regarding my Cobb Tune...

I'm running the Stage 1 Aggressive /ST Map and I'm noticing a bit of a flat spot at around 3800RPM... Now I understand that an OTS Map will never be perfect and I was ready to put it down to needing a ProTune but the other day I noticed something interesting:

When I change the traction control mode to MDM the flat spot goes away...BUT I'm not getting any traction control lights in standard mode...

Thoughts?
      02-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #91
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Quote:
When I change the traction control mode to MDM the flat spot goes away...BUT I'm not getting any traction control lights in standard mode...

Thoughts?
Not sure if I understand what you said. Traction light blinking won't come on as much in MDM mode unless you're on wet or heavy and abrupt footed on the throttle. Are you saying MDM is standard mode?

In regards to flat spot, haven't noticed it with my stage 1 aggressive FMIC+ map but I get more of a jerky hesitation power output when I WOT. I'm not bother about it yet as I haven't yet done a track day to see how bad it is.
      02-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #92
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
So on a more performance oriented note, I have a question regarding my Cobb Tune...

I'm running the Stage 1 Aggressive /ST Map and I'm noticing a bit of a flat spot at around 3800RPM... Now I understand that an OTS Map will never be perfect and I was ready to put it down to needing a ProTune but the other day I noticed something interesting:

Thoughts?
Are you sure its not just " bogging " down with the power, then once you activate MDM it rectifies the problem... Is your "M" button still functional in the Stage 1 Aggressive /ST Map..it should.

Odd though, that the christmas tree is not lighting up in standard mode..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #93
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post
Not sure if I understand what you said. Traction light blinking won't come on as much in MDM mode unless you're on wet or heavy and abrupt footed on the throttle. Are you saying MDM is standard mode?

In regards to flat spot, haven't noticed it with my stage 1 aggressive FMIC+ map but I get more of a jerky hesitation power output when I WOT. I'm not bother about it yet as I haven't yet done a track day to see how bad it is.

Sorry... Wasn't really clear...

Scenario 1:
All traction control aids on.
///M button on.
3rd gear pull.
No traction control light coming on.
Flat spot at about 3800RPM.

Scenario 2:
MDM Mode active.
///M button on.
3rd gear pull.
No traction control light coming on.
NO flat spot at about 3800RPM.

My point was that I initially thought that in full "nanny mode" it was a lack of traction that was causing the flatspot in the power but its not triggering the TC light on the dash. And yet it doesn't happen when I am in MDM mode... (the flatspot, that is. I'm not expecting TC light in MDM mode unless I'm about to kill myself...)
      02-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #94
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Are you sure its not just " bogging " down with the power, then once you activate MDM it rectifies the problem... Is your "M" button still functional in the Stage 1 Aggressive /ST Map..it should.

Odd though, that the christmas tree is not lighting up in standard mode..
In standard mode it's a full on Christmas tree in 1st and 2nd but seems to have enough grip in 3rd - just.

M button still works fine with the Stock Throttle Map for me... That's why I'm not using the LT map...

I know I need to do some logging and take a look at the curves... It's just hard to do in this Police State called Queensland...
      02-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #95
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Wouldn't be a Cobb issue, other than indirectly the traction control intervention is a result of the added torque and power added.

What gear is this in? What tyres? What road surface (try a different surface)? In a straight line on a good surface there shouldn't be wheel spin after 1st gear or a rolling WOT from 2nd.
Quote:
... also do a data log with the Cobb to see what's really going on
3rd gear... I have traction issues in 1st and 2nd. Still on original PS2 tyres - I know I need to upgrade them but it's difficult to throw away 90% tread...

I notice it most on a good road surface...

Yeah.... as I said above, I know I need to do some logging.... will have to see if I can make it a priority...
      02-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #96
BEAM3R
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, E36 M3, 2002, 700, Isetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin

Thoughts?
I'm having the same problem. I'm hoping it's a traction control related issue. Same car, same map too. Will see when I get my new wider rims/tyres in a couple of weeks if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #97
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM3R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin

Thoughts?
I'm having the same problem. I'm hoping it's a traction control related issue. Same car, same map too. Will see when I get my new wider rims/tyres in a couple of weeks if it helps.
Not a problem for me

This is what you get for owning 1M's. But I don't use the ST map anyway because no ///M button
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #98
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady View Post
Not a problem for me

This is what you get for owning 1M's. But I don't use the ST map anyway because no ///M button
That was a constructive post...
      02-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #99
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM3R View Post
Will be very interested to see what new rubber does for you mate. Might be the nudge I need to shell out for some SuperSports...
      02-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #100
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

@Harlequin

Quote:
Hey guys... just two things coming into my mind... intercooler heat soak ? Do both of you have the stock FMIC ?

Other thing that comes to my mind is your clutch could be starting to slip. Don't forget the clutch is not rated for STOCK HP level. The trans too. lol But BMW just took a calculated risk - with warranty claims. So far so good. But time will tell. Also there were some 1M's which had bad rear crankshaft seal. They leak oil(or somethings just make a fluttering type noise on decell). Just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #101
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

no flat spot for me, same tune, car and tyres with about 10% left.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 03:08 AM   #102
BEAM3R
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, E36 M3, 2002, 700, Isetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
@Harlequin

Quote:
Hey guys... just two things coming into my mind... intercooler heat soak ? Do both of you have the stock FMIC ?

Other thing that comes to my mind is your clutch could be starting to slip. Don't forget the clutch is not rated for STOCK HP level. The trans too. lol But BMW just took a calculated risk - with warranty claims. So far so good. But time will tell. Also there were some 1M's which had bad rear crankshaft seal. They leak oil(or somethings just make a fluttering type noise on decell). Just FYI.
I have an ETS 5".

Doesn't feel like the clutch to me... And I hope I'm right haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #103
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
@Harlequin

Thanks Dack... My crankshaft seal seems OK and I don't think it's clutch slip or the problem would still be there in MDM mode.... but good things to check... It could be heatsoak I guess but that tune is designed for stock FMIC and I still don't see why the problem would disappear when I switch to MDM mode?

Quote:
I found a significant fall off traction from PS2/PSS as they got past the 5,000km mark. The PS2's especially seemed to get really 'hard'.

Try get a tyre in the Extreme Performance category.
Good to know. Thanks. Do you notice much of a lack of wet weather performance with extreme performance tyres? Have you tried RE-11s? I know people who swear by them but I haven't checked to see if they're available in 1M sizes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
no flat spot for me, same tune, car and tyres with about 10% left.
It's really mild... I only noticed it because I just got the Cobb and I was looking for it... or anything else...

Quote:
I have an ETS 5".

Doesn't feel like the clutch to me... And I hope I'm right haha.
I'm running stock IC but its the next thing on the list for me... Doesn't seem like clutch to me either...

Quote:
Logs will tell. Do logs, with each traction mode.
Yeah... I'm thinking that maybe it's pulling the timing or something. Only way to know is Logs. Just got no time at the moment...
      02-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #104
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
So, big thanks to Quang for pointing me in the right direction. Couple of weeks ago I managed to pick up one of the last of these limited edition Stencil Prints originally commissioned for 1Addicts Members...

Managed to get it on sale.. There's still a few left if anyone's interested. Only VO and AW available now...

Can't insert a link because for some reason the site is blocked on here but do a search for Manual Designs if you want one...

Found the perfect frame for it too...
Attached Images

02-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #105
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Very nice!

I still haven't framed mine yet.
      02-19-2014, 03:39 AM   #106
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

That's awesome! Any chance you could PM me a link please?

Thanks.
      02-19-2014, 05:19 AM   #107
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
These on ebay too with your own number plates
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400660658...84.m1423.l2649
Nice. I might need one of those too

[edit: for 20 bucks, why not ]
      02-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #108
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
That's awesome! Any chance you could PM me a link please?

Thanks.
Can't. Bimmerpost censors the link... turns it into: www.*****.com

If you PM me your mobile I will TXT it to you...
      02-19-2014, 05:29 AM   #109
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post
Very nice!

I still haven't framed mine yet.
You really should mate. It's awesome up on the wall...

Thanks again for showing me where to get it...
      02-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #110
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Can't. Bimmerpost censors the link... turns it into: www.*****.com
If you PM me your mobile I will TXT it to you...
Try phonetically alike wwwdot1addictsdotcom