BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2018, 03:57 AM   #1
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i N54 E93

Spark plug and Ignition coil change

Last night I put in these plugs (screen shot should be attached)
Bosch Double Platinum and 1 Eldor Brand Ignition Coil in Cylinder 1

But Im still getting this Fault Code from Carly Generation 2 adapter report
(See Screenshot) missfire in Cylinder 1 and low fuel missfire (I am low on fuel)
Didnt realize that because I only drive it on occassional weekends when its not 100+ degrees here in Oklahoma

Also when I did the plug change the cars idle would vary just slightly from 750rpm..up to 800 down to 700 back and forth on occassion. After it warmed up it Seemed to stay Steady at 750rpm .....Has any one else experienced that ?

Please weigh in on Plug Change and Carly Fault Code
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

These cars very picky with plugs and I used these also and got misfires after about 5k miles. Switched to oe bmw Bosch coils and the problems have receded
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
These cars very picky with plugs and I used these also and got misfires after about 5k miles. Switched to oe bmw Bosch coils and the problems have receded

YearOneOne

The Fault Code was actually before I changed the plugs... they were in Need of changing (being black on ends and tip being worn down ) so I changed them to those Bosch Double Platinum and 1 Ignition Coil from Eldor and seem to be pick on idle until it warmed up then it seemed to idle just fine at 750rpm

The other Question is How to Reset Faults with Carly Gen2 Adapter and then Re-Run Diagnostic ?

Did You Use these same Spark Plugs ?

Do you have a link to the OE Ignition coil ; I couldnt find BMW NGK OE plugs either so went with the Bosch Plugs

Thanks for the reply

DSteele41
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

You can get the genuine BMW plugs from ECS tuning, or the BMW branded iridium plugs. Not all cars are happy with Bosch Platinum plugs. I've owned a couple cars in the past that didn't like them. I just replaced the plugs in mine at 60K. I was hoping for faster cold starts, but I noticed no change. Next time, I will be doing the coils. No misfires at all, thankfully.
ECS also has BMW coils at 350 bucks for a set or six.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
You can get the genuine BMW plugs from ECS tuning, or the BMW branded iridium plugs. Not all cars are happy with Bosch Platinum plugs. I've owned a couple cars in the past that didn't like them. I just replaced the plugs in mine at 60K. I was hoping for faster cold starts, but I noticed no change. Next time, I will be doing the coils. No misfires at all, thankfully.
ECS also has BMW coils at 350 bucks for a set or six.

Wow 350 huh...well I better be doing alot of DIYing then....

Can You or hopefully someone confirm this for the 2011 BMW 128i Convertible for spark plugs
"lzfr6ap11gs "

that should be what was branded on original spark plug ....is that an Iridium or Plantinum or Double Platinum plug ?

I will Fill up with Gas and see how the Bosch Does after a few short highway runs ;if not hopefully I can return them on Amazon (they're in the car )

Also How do I reset Faults in Carly Gen 2 I went ahead and done there little 1yr subscription at $60.00 but will cancel right before it renews in 364 days

ECS Noted as well minirips2
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

I'm not sure on either of those questions I had a 128 but not long enough to do plugs and I have Carly but have only used it to code. I'm sorry
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #7
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
I'm not sure on either of those questions I had a 128 but not long enough to do plugs and I have Carly but have only used it to code. I'm sorry
YearOneOne

Copy That... I will look for a 135i as well... My 128i only has 40000 miles on it so shouldn't be hard to sell

Thanks for Reply ... Hope someone can chime in on questions

I did order the NGK that had same part number on the ones I pulled out and will return Bosch Plugs when they come in
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I wouldn't use those plugs. There are a couple of OE brands that BMW has gone through that utilize the BMW p/n, NGK being one of them (I think Bosch might be one of them, but there is a difference between their OE plug and aftermarket "double platinum" plugs); I would stick with those.

I've also recently read that the coils should all be by the same manufacturer, due to minor production differences between the different brands. So, for example, if your car originally came with the Delphi or Bosch coils, and you switched one to the newer Eldor coils, you might have a problem.

Or, possibly, your misfire isn't spark-related at all. If the problem persists despite new (appropriate) plugs and coils, you might think about a compression test. Unless anyone else has a better idea for something further up the diagnostic tree?
      07-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

I may have an older version of the Carly app, but in mine it is very straightforward to reset codes. You run the scan and there is a button on the bottom to clear them after it finishes pinging all the modules. Does yours not have the clear button?

As far as plugs, I had a misfire at 60k and replaced with NGK LZFR6AP11GS and have not had any misfires in 20k miles. I also recently replaced all coils using Delphi GN10571, though I've heard Eldor is the new OE supplier to BMW so I'm sure they are good quality. In my experience, if you have a set of identical parts that are all the same age and one goes bad, the rest are probably going to follow soon. So I would replace all coils at once. I'm not a mechanic so that's just my opinion. At the very least, I would ensure all the parts are the same brand and part # - i.e. do not mix and match Delphi and Eldor.

One other thing you can try is running Techron fuel system cleaner. The procedure I have heard is to run the car until it is nearly empty, put in an entire bottle of Techron and then fill to 1/4 tank. Then run the car hard until nearly empty again, then put in another bottle of Techron and fill the tank. After that, drive normally. Some forum members ( chris_flies ) swear by this and I am about to try it too.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I wouldn't use those plugs. There are a couple of OE brands that BMW has gone through that utilize the BMW p/n, NGK being one of them (I think Bosch might be one of them, but there is a difference between their OE plug and aftermarket "double platinum" plugs); I would stick with those.

I've also recently read that the coils should all be by the same manufacturer, due to minor production differences between the different brands. So, for example, if your car originally came with the Delphi or Bosch coils, and you switched one to the newer Eldor coils, you might have a problem.

Or, possibly, your misfire isn't spark-related at all. If the problem persists despite new (appropriate) plugs and coils, you might think about a compression test. Unless anyone else has a better idea for something further up the diagnostic tree?

Bimmer-Bob

I did Order NGK Plugs that have the same p/n as the ones I pulled out
LZFR6AP11GS the difference I'm seeing in the NGK I just ordered and the ones I pulled out is the ones I pulled out have BMW & R5 on the white Base and JAPAN etched on it and the p/n..... the ones I ordered I believe only have 'R' on them Not 'R5' it will be hard to tell until I actually get them in my hand

Do you think thats an issue ? or as long as the part number matches LZFR6AP11GS ?

I will have to Re-Look at the Ignition Coil to see which Brand is the Original Bosch or Delphi.... I did order the Eldor Coil but will look at replacing with either Bosch or Delphi

Good Idea to only the replace the One Coil on the Cylinder that is throwing Fault Code or All of them you think ?

Thank You gratefully for reply.... (Do Not want to pay a mechanic)

DSteele41
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
I may have an older version of the Carly app, but in mine it is very straightforward to reset codes. You run the scan and there is a button on the bottom to clear them after it finishes pinging all the modules. Does yours not have the clear button?

As far as plugs, I had a misfire at 60k and replaced with NGK LZFR6AP11GS and have not had any misfires in 20k miles. I also recently replaced all coils using Delphi GN10571, though I've heard Eldor is the new OE supplier to BMW so I'm sure they are good quality. In my experience, if you have a set of identical parts that are all the same age and one goes bad, the rest are probably going to follow soon. So I would replace all coils at once. I'm not a mechanic so that's just my opinion. At the very least, I would ensure all the parts are the same brand and part # - i.e. do not mix and match Delphi and Eldor.

One other thing you can try is running Techron fuel system cleaner. The procedure I have heard is to run the car until it is nearly empty, put in an entire bottle of Techron and then fill to 1/4 tank. Then run the car hard until nearly empty again, then put in another bottle of Techron and fill the tank. After that, drive normally. Some forum members ( chris_flies ) swear by this and I am about to try it too.
rowsdower

Man Thanks Alot all of that helps alot... got these NGK LZFR6AP11GS on the way and will have to check brand of Ignition Coils later and Great I'm at 14miles in gas so will Run the Techron Fuel System Cleaner 2x then fill up

Can You or @chris_flies confirm the exact Techron product you'll are referring to. this one ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
That's the stuff. If you go to Costco, they sell like a 12 pack...

Edit: if you can pinpoint the cylinder that's misfiring, move that coil to another cylinder and see if it follows. If not, move the plug around and see if that's the problem... Luckily I haven't had any misfire issues on my car with 175k miles, with no idea as to the history of these plugs and coils.
      07-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
That's the stuff. If you go to Costco, they sell like a 12 pack...
chris_flies

Thanks for Confirming !
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteele41 View Post
chris_flies

Thanks for Confirming !
That's what I bought too. I don't have a Costco membership but Amazon sells a 6-pack. I agree with Chris's recommendation of swapping coils/plugs across cylinders to see if the misfire follows.

Are you actually feeling a misfire or just getting the code? My car had a noticeable misfire when I did my plugs last.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #15
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's what I bought too. I don't have a Costco membership but Amazon sells a 6-pack. I agree with Chris's recommendation of swapping coils/plugs across cylinders to see if the misfire follows.

Are you actually feeling a misfire or just getting the code? My car had a noticeable misfire when I did my plugs last.
rowsdower
chris_flies

I have replaced the spark plugs with Bosch plugs (Waiting on NGKs wiht same p/n) and replaced Coil with Eldor

I have yet to run another diagnostic check ... I still have Old Plugs and Coil that I took out... I guess I would need to put them back in and run diagnostic compared to what is showing with Bosch and Eldor Coil

and YES the misfire happens when you gas it (not really punch it) but getting speed to get on highway ...above 2500-3000 rpm..... there was a post on here I found where a guy had the exact same problem..... if I pulled over let it set for like 2-3 minutes start it back and just ease into acceleration it doesnt misfire ??? Any Thoughts ? I'd have to hunt that Post down of similar issue
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
rowsdower
chris_flies

I have replaced the spark plugs with Bosch plugs (Waiting on NGKs wiht same p/n) and replaced Coil with Eldor

I have yet to run another diagnostic check ... I still have Old Plugs and Coil that I took out... I guess I would need to put them back in and run diagnostic compared to what is showing with Bosch and Eldor Coil

and YES the misfire happens when you gas it (not really punch it) but getting speed to get on highway ...above 2500-3000 rpm..... there was a post on here I found where a guy had the exact same problem..... if I pulled over let it set for like 2-3 minutes start it back and just ease into acceleration it doesnt misfire ??? Any Thoughts ? I'd have to hunt that Post down of similar issue
You may have to clear adaptations (the computer will compensate for worn plugs by sending more power to the coils, which then wears the coils faster) after swapping the coils. I'm not sure about it though...
      08-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
You may have to clear adaptations (the computer will compensate for worn plugs by sending more power to the coils, which then wears the coils faster) after swapping the coils. I'm not sure about it though...
chris_flies
Bimmer-Bob
minirips2

Update:

So I Got the Bosch Plugs in with 1 New Eldor Ignition Coil
Also I should be getting NGK Plugs today and will install them
( I did verify that the OE Ignition Coils are Bosch.....I know You'll said keep everything OE or OEM... but I do not think I can return the Eldor Ignition Coil to OEMBimmerParts.... Would it be a Good idea to Order the Bosch Ignition Coil and keep Eldor as Backup ?

with all that said the Car seem to have a little more pep after Bosch Plugs and Eldor Ignition Coil and the Hesitation / Misfire looks to be fixed
but I Couldnt get Misfire code to clear

chris_flies When you say clear Adaptations ... You are meaning clear the Fault Codes...I tryed that with the Carly OBD Gen 2 tool and couldn't get the fault codes to erase

Regards,

DSteele41
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #18
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
chris_flies
Bimmer-Bob
minirips2

Update:

So I Got the Bosch Plugs in with 1 New Eldor Ignition Coil
Also I should be getting NGK Plugs today and will install them
( I did verify that the OE Ignition Coils are Bosch.....I know You'll said keep everything OE or OEM... but I do not think I can return the Eldor Ignition Coil to OEMBimmerParts.... Would it be a Good idea to Order the Bosch Ignition Coil and keep Eldor as Backup ?

with all that said the Car seem to have a little more pep after Bosch Plugs and Eldor Ignition Coil and the Hesitation / Misfire looks to be fixed
but I Couldnt get Misfire code to clear

chris_flies When you say clear Adaptations ... You are meaning clear the Fault Codes...I tryed that with the Carly OBD Gen 2 tool and couldn't get the fault codes to erase

Regards,

DSteele41
If the car is running fine you could just leave it alone. If it were me, I would buy 5 more Eldor coils so that all the cylinders are matched. If you have the wrong plugs in there, it might make sense to still change them to the new set that is coming. Although the car may not be noticeably misfiring, it may still not be running as well as it could.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If the car is running fine you could just leave it alone. If it were me, I would buy 5 more Eldor coils so that all the cylinders are matched. If you have the wrong plugs in there, it might make sense to still change them to the new set that is coming. Although the car may not be noticeably misfiring, it may still not be running as well as it could.
rowsdower

I was thinking the same "If its not broke (seems to be fixed) dont change it"

but was going to get a Bosch IC and intstead of buying 5 more Eldors and just keep Eldor as Backup and for Testing .... or I could by 5 and have alot of Spare Bosch Backups;

but definitely going to sway to NGK plugs see if drives less the same or better from the Bosch Plugs

Also I forgot to move the IC to see if Fault Code Followed... I'll do that next few days

Thanks for chiming in again

Last edited by DSteele41; 08-01-2018 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: say thanks
Appreciate 0