BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

2010 LeMans Blue M-sport 6MT Build Thread (Clean WHP)

Whats up 1addicts community! Some of you may know me from my 2008 Black Sapphire FBO 6 speed 135i or from my YouTube channel - "Clean WHP" I recently acquired another 135i - This time its a 2010, LeMans Blue, and a true M-Sport package car (black headliner, style 261's, and M logo door sills) Its really an awesome story how I found this car and got it for such a good price, this car is basically my dream spec 135i and I couldn't be more thrilled this build. I'll spare the details; which can be found on my youtube channel for anyone who is interested!

Having owned a 400WHP FBO stock turbo 135i already, I have a good taste of what bolt-ons are like. My plans for this car are simple: Single turbo. Im not 100% when I will pull the trigger on a kit, but I imagine it to be relatively soon and i'm definitely hoping to have it done this driving season. My goals for this car will be up to 700WHP on an all out map, but I'd like to make 600whp-650whp for everyday street shenanigans.

With all that being said, right now I am focusing on some little details and minor cosmetic mods. Especially things I always wanted to do on my black 135i - but never quite got around to doing.

The very first thing I did was get the windows tinted to 20%. This is what I had on my last 135i and after 1 day of driving, I needed the shade, exterior look, and privacy of tinted windows again. FWIW, Ive never had any legal issues with 20% here in VA where the legal limit is 50%.

Name:  IMG_0063.JPG
Views: 2407
Size:  287.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0062.JPG
Views: 2034
Size:  336.1 KB

Next, I ordered some Smoked Black White LED side markers from Mod Bargains. The install on these was a breeze and they look amazing. At night or in the shade, the LED's really shine bright and provides way more visibility then stock side markers.

Name:  IMG_0081.JPG
Views: 1937
Size:  492.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0082.JPG
Views: 1923
Size:  191.6 KB

Going along with the Smoked black Side Markers, It was time to replace the chrome kidney grills in favor of some Gloss Black ones. I found these F80 M3 style grills with dual slots for only 53$, and was super excited to find no issues with fitment. The Dual Slats gives the 1 series a whole new aggressive look in the front.

Name:  IMG_0075.JPG
Views: 1876
Size:  246.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0080.JPG
Views: 1905
Size:  246.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0048.JPG
Views: 1955
Size:  401.3 KB

I have some more small bits on the way, Including LUX H8 180 LED Angel Eyes and a Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler. Stay tuned for updates with more pics/videos!

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 01-13-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
Esteban42241.00
Blu3RSX27.50
Upgrade+129.50
      03-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Glad to see you're still in the N54 club, and planning a ST build.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
acoustix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i/1M Conversion, MK7 GTI

Welcome to the lemans club!!! Can't wait to see the progress!!
      03-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Great color! Congrats! And yes, just a little biased...
      04-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After installing the Smoked Black side markers with White LED's from Mod Bargains, I wanted some White LED Angel Eyes to match the white lights on the side of the car. My research led me to believe the LUX H8 180 would be the brightest, and most white bulb on the market - So I spent the money and grabbed a set!

Name:  IMG_0121.JPG
Views: 1810
Size:  233.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0114.JPG
Views: 1824
Size:  147.6 KB

*Side Note* I recently passed the 3K Subscriber milestone on YouTube and want to extend a massive thank you to the 1addicts community. I started my channel by posting threads here containing links to my videos from the beginning, and its amazing to see the subscribers and support of my channel climb higher and higher each day. My Next Goal is 5K subscribers, and you can expect a Doc Race Single Turbo Kit to be ordered as soon as that milestone is reached!! (If not reached by mid-summer, I'll Likely be ordering a kit around then anyways!)

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 01-13-2019 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After a much needed Wash and Wax, I took the car to a couple of my favorite local spots for a photoshoot. I had to downsize the dimensions quite a bit for these pics to upload, but in normal form they were much sharper. Follow my instagram to see these pics in their best form! https://www.instagram.com/clean_whp/?hl=en
Attached Images

04-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #7
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Congrats on the new car. You'll never regret the Lemans Blue color. I've had mine for 5 years now and still love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well the time has officially came I ordered my single turbo kit. I decided to go with a VI Engineered top mount turbo kit with a Garrett GTX3582R Gen 2 and a 1.06 AR Housing. Im super excited to receive this kit and get working on the install. Of course, there will be many videos uploaded to my youtube channel on the whole process. Make Sure you subscribe to watch it all go down!

In the meantime, here are some pics of the Kit from another forum thread on the *********** forum. These are not my pics nor my personal kit, but thought I'd share so others who aren't as familiar with the kit can see what its all about! pics belong to "chrisdfv" over on ***********. I will be sure to capture my own pics when the kit comes in!
Attached Images

05-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #9
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

You're a brave man ordering a single turbo kit from a company with hardly any feedback without getting much of a price discount (assuming you didn't get one for posting a review and media after the fact), but for what it's worth, that manifold is among the best I've seen from the looks of things. One piece manifold, twin wastegates in the right spot so you won't have to deal with boost creep, Garrett snail, etc. Looking forward to some feedback once you get everything in hand. A few questions...
  • What was the delivery estimate after you sent payment?
  • Are you installing this yourself?
  • What clutch/fueling upgrades will you be making?
  • Does a conical filter fit on this kit considering the water cooled portion of the turbo moves this towards the passenger light? Those turbo snouts are problematic I've heard.
  • Are the wastegate lines silicone or stainless line?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Nice work Neimen!! Looking forward to the vids. Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
You're a brave man ordering a single turbo kit from a company with hardly any feedback without getting much of a price discount (assuming you didn't get one for posting a review and media after the fact), but for what it's worth, that manifold is among the best I've seen from the looks of things. One piece manifold, twin wastegates in the right spot so you won't have to deal with boost creep, Garrett snail, etc. Looking forward to some feedback once you get everything in hand. A few questions...
  • What was the delivery estimate after you sent payment?
  • Are you installing this yourself?
  • What clutch/fueling upgrades will you be making?
  • Does a conical filter fit on this kit considering the water cooled portion of the turbo moves this towards the passenger light? Those turbo snouts are problematic I've heard.
  • Are the wastegate lines silicone or stainless line?
Oh, I definitely worked out a pretty darn good deal! There hasn't been much posts/info around the forums, but I have found and talked to a few people who run the ViE kit and they all love it and have gave me some great feedback. The manifold is definitely impressive and so is the rest of the kit. All the Fab work is top notch. Jon Vigil is the shop manager at ViE and he was also the lead fabricator for AR design, and fabricated basically all the catless downpipes they made AFAIK, which were beautiful downpipes and pieces of art. Also, VIE builds some absolute insane cars on other platforms. (they have made 1000+HP evo's for years) So im pretty confident in the craftsmanship of this kit. Cant wait to see how everything comes together and give the praise I think this company ought to deserve on our platform

1 - I believe lead time is 4-5 weeks. When i ordered, I actually lucked out and they had a kit on the shelf in stock. I am however waiting an extra 2-3 weeks for the turbo, as that is not the standard turbo included the kit but rather an upgraded one. Kit comes with GTW ball bearing turbos, the GTX gen 2 is much more expensive and newer, and overall such an impressive turbo. Look up some GTX gen 2 stuff when you get the chance! They are the latest and greatest from garrett. The GTW from garrett are water cooled and ball bearing as well so they are definitely quality units, but the newer GTX gen 2 line has some amazing stuff going on. VIE can source any Garrett turbo you can dream of at a good price as they are a dealer for Garret I believe. can't wait to see how the turbo feels/performs!

2 - yep gonna do it myself with a few buddies, looking to start in late june

3 - Gonna do a stage 3+ spec/mfactory SMFW. tons of other supporting mods too. probably a dw400 fuel pump (Vadar Solutions stage 2+) that single pump can flow up to 700whp on full E85 supposedly..

4 - Honestly not sure on the filter, will swap it for a traditional filter if need be. I personally haven't heard anything wrong with it, and think it looks super badass! The turbo definitely sits a little more forward with this kit, and the filter is what allows it to. It keeps the heat a bit father from the valve cover / ignition coils / wires and also allows a ton of space to be free'd up near the strut tower.

5 - I know all the oil and water lines are stainless steel for the turbo, and it comes with a mac solenoid, DEI titanium heat wrap, turbo blanket, water pipe with bung for water/coolant feed lines, etc. the vacuum lines themselves are the only thing Im not sure of if they are stainless steel or not, but everything else looks good so far. Will definitely update as soon as I get the chance!

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 05-04-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #12
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
Nice work Neimen!! Looking forward to the vids. Good Luck!
Thanks man! Cant wait to make some content!
      05-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
npaone17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

X

Nice car man!!
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Responses in bold underneath:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean WHP View Post
Oh, I definitely worked out a pretty darn good deal! There hasn't been much posts/info around the forums, but I have found and talked to a few people who run the ViE kit and they all love it and have gave me some great feedback. The manifold is definitely impressive and so is the rest of the kit. All the Fab work is top notch. Jon Vigil is the shop manager at ViE and he was also the lead fabricator for AR design, and fabricated basically all the catless downpipes they made AFAIK, which were beautiful downpipes and pieces of art. Also, VIE builds some absolute insane cars on other platforms. (they have made 1000+HP evo's for years) So im pretty confident in the craftsmanship of this kit. Cant wait to see how everything comes together and give the praise I think this company ought to deserve on our platform

I figured you did, which is awesome. I love when vendors give discounts or show some love to content providers like you. AR Design stuff definitely seems top notch, and all the pictures of the ViE kit look great. With a talented welder, these manifolds are truly impressive to see in person.

1 - I believe lead time is 4-5 weeks. When i ordered, I actually lucked out and they had a kit on the shelf in stock. I am however waiting an extra 2-3 weeks for the turbo, as that is not the standard turbo included the kit but rather an upgraded one. Kit comes with GTW ball bearing turbos, the GTX gen 2 is much more expensive and newer, and overall such an impressive turbo. Look up some GTX gen 2 stuff when you get the chance! They are the latest and greatest from garrett. The GTW from garrett are water cooled and ball bearing as well so they are definitely quality units, but the newer GTX gen 2 line has some amazing stuff going on. VIE can source any Garrett turbo you can dream of at a good price as they are a dealer for Garret I believe. can't wait to see how the turbo feels/performs!

Only a few vendors can seem to crank out these kits on demand, without double or triple the original advertised lead time. Again, interested in seeing how this turns out for you, but I imagine he'll make yours a priority considering you'll be providing ample feedback on the forums. I have zero complaints with my Precision ball bearing turbo so far, in fact only positive things to say, but no doubt the Garrett will perform very well.

2 - yep gonna do it myself with a few buddies, looking to start in late june

Looking forward to seeing documentation of the install. With a few guys helping, a weekend or two might be all it takes to wrap everything up.

3 - Gonna do a stage 3+ spec/mfactory SMFW. tons of other supporting mods too. probably a dw400 fuel pump (Vadar Solutions stage 2+) that single pump can flow up to 700whp on full E85 supposedly..

The Stage 3+ Spec and MFactory SMFW are a proven combo, and I've been the same combo except with the 2+ instead of the 3+. Interested to hear your feedback on the feel of the 3+ and the new vibrations you'll encounter with the SMFW. Too bad it's a necessity for any type of high HP build, because it's definitely made the car less enjoyable at low RPMs in low gears for me.

4 - Honestly not sure on the filter, will swap it for a traditional filter if need be. I personally haven't heard anything wrong with it, and think it looks super badass! The turbo definitely sits a little more forward with this kit, and the filter is what allows it to. It keeps the heat a bit father from the valve cover / ignition coils / wires and also allows a ton of space to be free'd up near the strut tower.

It doesn't look like the standard "shorty" BMS filter used on a lot of the ST kits would have room to fit since everything is pushed forward a bit, so you'd more than likely have to go with a custom intake that routed the filter over to the driver's side again. I've seen this on a few road course race cars using single turbo kits. Unfortunately, it doesn't really move the heat forward, as most of the heat that melts things in the engine bay that people try to avoid is caused by the downpipe.

5 - I know all the oil and water lines are stainless steel for the turbo, and it comes with a mac solenoid, DEI titanium heat wrap, turbo blanket, water pipe with bung for water/coolant feed lines, etc. the vacuum lines themselves are the only thing Im not sure of if they are stainless steel or not, but everything else looks good so far. Will definitely update as soon as I get the chance!

Sounds like it includes all the good stuff. Definitely double check about the stainless steel wastegate lines, as those tend to burn up after time because they sit so close to the manifold. I think the ACF/VM kits are the only ones that include those if I'm not mistaken, but a lot of people choose to make their own.

Looking forward to seeing everything arrive and how the install goes!
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #15
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This Weekend my 135i is getting special treatment from Essence of Clean detailing company. Here is a video of the full decontamination process of the cleaning wheels, engine bay, Foaming the car, hand washing, Clay bar treatment, and lastly Iron Fall out. Stay tuned for part 2 and 3 where the car will be getting a 2 stage paint correction with compound and polishing, and a ceramic coating!

05-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #16
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Part 2 of the Detail! We Paint corrected the whole car in this video, and it came out incredible. The Metallic in the LeMans Blue really pops! However, this was defiantly the most laborious part to the detail, and my voice is a bit dull in the video do to this. Anyways, we achieved some phenomenal results!

05-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #17
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Heres the 3rd and final video of the Detail, The Ceramic Coating. I went with kamikaze ISM coating and could not be more pleased, this stuff seriously looks amazing with the LeMans Blue paint! Watch the end of the video for a walk around of the car in the sunlight!

05-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #18
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Installed some Blacklines! I couldnt be Happier with how these fit and look. There is something about those OEM+ mods that is just so nice Here is my normal vlog style video, but this time it also has some simple DIY instructions for anyone else out there looking to do this swap!

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 05-21-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Like I said on instagram. Funniest video yet. Your frustration level is well gauged by the increase in cursing.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Blacklines look great! They really do update the rear end. Just wait until you throw some type of diffuser on there.

6-7 years ago, I decided to wrap most of the interior of my E46 M3 in OEM charcoal alcantara (headliner, pillars, trim, etc.) and had to remove all the pieces you did. It took forever! But the final look was worth it. The grey interior was the only piece of your car I wasn't all in on, but didn't take you long to remedy that.

Any updates on the delivery of your single kit? Looks like we're approaching nearly a month since ordering. Still on target to be delivered in a few weeks?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Blacklines look great! They really do update the rear end. Just wait until you throw some type of diffuser on there.

6-7 years ago, I decided to wrap most of the interior of my E46 M3 in OEM charcoal alcantara (headliner, pillars, trim, etc.) and had to remove all the pieces you did. It took forever! But the final look was worth it. The grey interior was the only piece of your car I wasn't all in on, but didn't take you long to remedy that.

Any updates on the delivery of your single kit? Looks like we're approaching nearly a month since ordering. Still on target to be delivered in a few weeks?
Yep, I love the blacklines. My plan for a diffuser is a gloss black Reiger diffuser one day! and I cant wait to finish off this interior. Its gonna truly be the last step to making this car my dream spec'd 135i.

From what Ive Heard from the VIE the kit has been finished, but were still waiting on the turbo from Garrett themselves. The turbo should arrive at VIE on 6/1, so hopefully the kit ships then arrives to me in the next couple of weeks. Its def longer than the slated lead time, but from what I've heard Honeywell Garrett themselves gets super backed around this time as its the beginning of race season
      07-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #22
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Any updates on the VIE kit's arrival? Seems like you've been patiently waiting!
Appreciate 0