BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

1m headlight Washer modification

Ok... I have a pet peeve with my headlight washers!

The problem: Every-time I use the wind-shield washer fluid to clean a minor amount of dust, or whatever else, on the glass, the headlight washers activate and spray (vomits) all sorts of black crap all over the paint .

The solution: I don't want the headlight washers to activate, unless I specify them to (m-cars = control).

The question: Is there some kind of relay that can be set up to activate the headlight washers on demand? For example, having the running lights set to a certain position (A) (0) (1) (2) and activating the windshield washer = headlight washer?

Does anyone know if there is a mod (preferably by a dealer) that can be done to change this?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Shouldn't the washers spray only when you have the headlights on? Or is it that you guys in Canada have the DRLs on at all times and that forces the headlight washers to be deployed every time? It's one of many reasons why I don't use the Auto headlight switch, hate to have the headlight spray on when I only need it on the windshield.

I would recon there must be a fuse, however on that circuit there may be other things running, will have to check the manual and circuit map I guess.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Canadian rules that we have DRL mandatory.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I thought the 135/28 guys were deactivating this but it may have been just a deactivation of the R2D2 pop up which doesnt help us M guys... sorry my post actually contributed ZERO here
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Possible to code this change perhaps? TAGFAHRLICHT would be the code option you'd look for. Not sure if that would be an acceptable option for you in Canada though. (Like you said...mandatory drl).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

In the same department (washing): the right hand windscreen wiper stops exactly at driver's eyesight (left up + right down), leaving a dirt/dust trace there. No clue why BMW did not keep that in mind during conception. Sure, it's a detail, but could not have been thàt complicated to avoid the wiper from stopping at that spot. Not everyone is cleaning his vehicle on a very regular basis...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #7
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Doesn't the headlight washers only come on if you pull the stalk towards you all the way? And they don't come on if you only pull the stalk half way?

Am I missing something?

Is it a regional thing as this doesn't happen for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
luial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1///M, e46 M3, e30 320is ///M3

Never happens to me as my car doesn't come with washers!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:49 AM   #9
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by luial View Post
Never happens to me as my car doesn't come with washers!
I thought all cars equipped with Xenons come with washers now? Don't al 1Ms come with Xenons?
      09-30-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
I thought all cars equipped with Xenons come with washers now? Don't al 1Ms come with Xenons?
No, not all 1m equipped with Xenons. But most of the package included as standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Doesn't the headlight washers only come on if you pull the stalk towards you all the way? And they don't come on if you only pull the stalk half way?

Am I missing something?

Pretty sure mine is the same as this, a small, quick pull on the stalk squirts the windscreen but not the lights.

Must check later.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
luial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1///M, e46 M3, e30 320is ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
Car comes with Xenons but no washer
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
Pretty sure mine is the same as this, a small, quick pull on the stalk squirts the windscreen but not the lights.

Must check later.
I have tried this, but every-time it hits the lights and sprays residue everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Shouldn't the washers spray only when you have the headlights on? Or is it that you guys in Canada have the DRLs on at all times and that forces the headlight washers to be deployed every time? It's one of many reasons why I don't use the Auto headlight switch, hate to have the headlight spray on when I only need it on the windshield.

I would recon there must be a fuse, however on that circuit there may be other things running, will have to check the manual and circuit map I guess.
The main reason why I use the auto headlight feature is bc ONLY IN auto mode... do your AHL (headlights turn with the steering input angle! kurven licht!) work. When you turn the headlights on manually... your headlights are statically "locked" in the "straight ahead" position, no AHL. Using the AHL at night is a really great way to see around corners at night.

I think its also been mentioned before... that the headlight washers only come on when the headlights are on AND only for the first time. Then every fifth or six pull of the wiper arm washer. Not every time.

For you guys in Canada... can't you go into the BC menu and turn off your DRL's? Aren't your DRL's just running your halo's all the time? That is how its on my car. I have xeons and a 135i. A lot of the German guys code their ECE cars to US/Can DRL specs. lol

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The main reason why I use the auto headlight feature is bc ONLY IN auto mode... do your AHL (headlights turn with the steering input angle! kurven licht!) work. When you turn the headlights on manually... your headlights are statically "locked" in the "straight ahead" position, no AHL. Using the AHL at night is a really great way to see around corners at night.

I think its also been mentioned before... that the headlight washers only come on when the headlights are on AND only for the first time. Then every fifth or six pull of the wiper arm washer. Not every time.

For you guys in Canada... can't you go into the BC menu and turn off your DRL's? Aren't your DRL's just running your halo's all the time? That is how its on my car. I have xeons and a 135i. A lot of the German guys code their ECE cars to US/Can DRL specs. lol

Dackel
Within our car menus there is no option to turn on the DLR lights at all. I will experiment with the lights in the auto or manual on position relative to the headlight washing.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
do a quick pull it wont activate them
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #17
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

+1 to Dackel. Washers will only come on when the lights are on (or the switch is on auto) in most recent BMWs. Turn your lights off.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #18
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post

Am I missing something?

Ahhhhh, I'll have to test that. All I know is when the car was fresh out of the showroom I pulled the stalk coating the pristine bonnet in soap and have been afraid to use it since...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
+1 to Dackel. Washers will only come on when the lights are on (or the switch is on auto) in most recent BMWs. Turn your lights off.
Clarification... If you turn the lights off you can restrict the headlight washers? Very helpful indeed
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #20
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Clarification... If you turn the lights off you can restrict the headlight washers? Very helpful indeed
Yup, that's what I mentioned in the post above, but thought you said in Canada lights stay on all the time? So do what I do, when you want to clean your windshield without the headlight nozzles activating, do so with the lights off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelone
Thx for the clarification, D-. In my metro area at least roads and streets are well lit, but I will remember this when traveling in more rural areas/B- roads and have the AHL enabled.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Yup, that's what I mentioned in the post above, but thought you said in Canada lights stay on all the time? So do what I do, when you want to clean your windshield without the headlight nozzles activating, do so with the lights off.

Thx for the clarification, D-. In my metro area at least roads and streets are well lit, but I will remember this when traveling in more rural areas/B- roads and have the AHL enabled.
We cannot ever turn the halos off in Canada but we can turn the xenon lights office manually. That said, I will play around with the settings a bit and see if I can turn of this feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #22
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
If you know someone who codes, they can specifically turn off headlight washers.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0