BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
xlr871
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M

1m overheating in humid weather

hi guys, I am waiting ( not patiently) to take delivery of what must be the last batch of 1m. Mechanic friend of mine has indicated some overheating esp. in countries where it gets more humid. Given the average temp is 93 Deg F, I am wondering if I need an aftermarket intercooler fitted or i should stick to stock ones?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
KillTakuya
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i Soon 1M Coupe

I am in Southern part of China and I do track days in humid and hot weather, my last track day was 33degrees and in track was 36 or 37 I had no problem with my stock cooling equipment everything is stock beside my brake line and brake pad
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
///MbmC
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1 series M coupe Alpine White

In Singapore, and on Sepang (KL) GP circuit, where air temps can hit 34-36C, with humidity levels up to 90%, track temps up to 43-46C, I have never had a problem with overheating, either daily driving, or doing up to 7 consecutive laps on the track during a track day. And that's with JB4 running Map 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Trutchy
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

rubbish!

i live in Dubai and drove mine all throughout last summer with temps getting to nearly 50Deg C in the day and 100% humidity at night... absolutely no problem.... unless BMW took this into account and increased cooling capabilities of the car for countries like mine.. ??!

but i dont see why you would have any reason to be concerned.....unless you intend on doing donuts constantly in plus 40 degrees!??
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MbmC View Post
In Singapore, and on Sepang (KL) GP circuit, where air temps can hit 34-36C, with humidity levels up to 90%, track temps up to 43-46C, I have never had a problem with overheating, either daily driving, or doing up to 7 consecutive laps on the track during a track day. And that's with JB4 running Map 2.
mine is a DD in Sg and no problems of overheating at all. temperature never hits more than 120. and that's considering i push the car everyday!

hahas only thing is you gotta be careful with your charge pipe. mine blew off 3 times, and the reason was cause the folks at MA didn't fit back the O ring for me when they replaced the charge pipe, and causing me to drive with a boost leak for a few weeks.

other than that. this car is a dream.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Drove my 1M in sunny Florida on track days with 98F deg and 90% humidity with ZERO issues. ZERO.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
xlr871
Singapore
Rep

sweet

hi guys, thats great to hear. I am so looking forward to take delivery and i practically watch 1M videos on youtube on a daily basis ( yes Im an addict) Good to hear from the folks from SG as well, hope to catch up soon on a gtg. Are you guys heading to Sepang for M Fest next week?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO
Drove my 1M in sunny Florida on track days with 98F deg and 90% humidity with ZERO issues. ZERO.
TEXAS checking in. Same results here as 1MVO in FL . My car has also been run on track with temps in the 90s at 5090 feet altitude. When the cooling fans kick on high and mean serious business they are loud and very efficient.

As with any turbo car, it's wise to let the car idle for a few seconds after running hard.

OP...... This car ROCKS. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
///MbmC
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr871
hi guys, thats great to hear. I am so looking forward to take delivery and i practically watch 1M videos on youtube on a daily basis ( yes Im an addict) Good to hear from the folks from SG as well, hope to catch up soon on a gtg. Are you guys heading to Sepang for M Fest next week?
You're here in SG? Is your car from MA or PI? Still wondering how many PI cars we have down here. Assuming the number 40 MA gave us is reliable.

Would have loved to have gone up for M Fest but can't get off work. Sounds like it'll be a great time.

Planning on an aftermarket charge pipe already hearing all the stories. It seems a little too regular...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
trip
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

I believe I was the first MA victim of a blown charge pipe.
You mentioned your pipe slipping off after that a few times, I'd like to know what the symptoms are when that happens such as fault codes, check lights etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
///MbmC
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip
I believe I was the first MA victim of a blown charge pipe.
You mentioned your pipe slipping off after that a few times, I'd like to know what the symptoms are when that happens such as fault codes, check lights etc.
As luck would have it, I just blew mine today doing some spirited driving... Gonna bring it in Monday.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
JohnCena
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO

Garage List
from experience

I did PCD on my 1M last august in SC was 98 degrees on the track and we beat the piss out of those 1Ms and never did it go over 250 degrees, so from experience this shouldn't have any issues IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Quote:
As luck would have it, I just blew mine today doing some spirited driving... Gonna bring it in Monday.

i'm sorry to hear that. i changed to the ER charge pipe with Tial BOV and it rocks.

mine burst 4 times, before i had enough and changed it to the ER one. anyway, just a word of advice, make sure that MA inserts the O Ring for you k? they forgot on mine and i had a massive boost leak=loss of power.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
///MbmC
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning
Quote:

i'm sorry to hear that. i changed to the ER charge pipe with Tial BOV and it rocks.

mine burst 4 times, before i had enough and changed it to the ER one. anyway, just a word of advice, make sure that MA inserts the O Ring for you k? they forgot on mine and i had a massive boost leak=loss of power.
I'll be sure to remind them! I have my ER charge pipe with Tial BOV on order, it just didn't get here before the stock pipe gave!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
xlr871
Singapore
Rep

Sounds like stock chargepipe has to go once i get the car, heard the BVO guys are very reliable.

Btw, I hear there are about 45 MA cars, though I think they are still open to orders at $301K. Have seen a few PI ones including one on sgcar mart now, he wants $270K for the used ride, okay only 4,000km, condition is great. Not sure how he managed to get $57K on OMV, the difference from MA is quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr871 View Post
Sounds like stock chargepipe has to go once i get the car, heard the BVO guys are very reliable.

Btw, I hear there are about 45 MA cars, though I think they are still open to orders at $301K. Have seen a few PI ones including one on sgcar mart now, he wants $270K for the used ride, okay only 4,000km, condition is great. Not sure how he managed to get $57K on OMV, the difference from MA is quite a bit.

not really ... many of us have no issues... mine has been driven as hard as any...
Appreciate 0