BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Gray_Panther's 128i Garage Build

This is an actual build . I have always wanted a garage of my own where detailing and wrenching are a focus of mine. Function over form is the key, just like how our 1ers were designed with a pork belly to achieve 50/50 weight distribution!

To start this thread off here are some pictures of the framing and the concrete being poured.

It was an exciting time for me and it was one of my top favorite things being a part of and watching. All of the ideas that were running through my head...followed by all dollar signs that went with each item
Nevertheless, I wanted to transform my garage in my own image, and never mind the fact I don't even have my house furnished yet. You can see where my priorities are as a 1addict

But after the house was finished being built, I received the keys and moved both cars into their new home. The GTI finally has its own garage space!

Last edited by Gray_Panther; 09-30-2018 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 3
Suprgnat2281.00
Matticus913469.50
Fakemike368.50
      10-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Keep the updates coming!!
      10-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

For about two weeks I didn't have a garage door opener, so it was pretty cool manually opening and closing the garage door. Eventually I had to put one in, so I went with the Liftmaster. Not only is it quieter, but the opener is side mounted, so now I am able to utilize the entire ceiling! No more center mounted garage door opener to protrude the view!

My cousin's boyfriend installs garages, so him and I were able to crank this out. It truly is a simple job, you just need to know what equipment you are working with. I didn't know squat about garages even after watching youtube install videos I was still
Fortunately I had the "phone a friend" lifeline.

After my wedding, my uncle from Greece installed the hot/cold spigot in the garage.

It was a nice memory watching my father and his brother working together like they used to before my father left for America. Really gave me the feels as I was watching them.
The next day I washed the BMW. Having the spigot in the garage is a game changer for me! No more walking off to the side, unraveling the hose, running back and forth to open/close the water. The whole process was so simple, I highly suggest you all install a similar setup in your garages. Material costs were only $80.

Today, my dad and I cranked out the first pass applying stucko to all the lines and holes in the dry wall.

Tomorrow, we will do some initial sanding and reapply the second coat.
      10-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Really coming together now!
      10-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Good news, no second coat needed for the dry wall mudding!
We applied some more mudding to certain patches, so it looks like tomorrow is the day we paint on the primer and start painting the corners and borders.

As for today we got some wood and used the table saw to make window frames for the inside of the garage. They came out pretty sharp!

Also spent a few hours adding in another outlet so I can plug my liftmaster garage door opener in right next to it, rather than running an extension cord from the liftmaster to one of the wall outlets. Trip hazards avoided, trophy acquired!

That was a fun project, I never done that before but at least now I know how to do it!

On Amazon I found the following:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...INE72UI4&psc=1

Probably going to order these tonight since the lights I currently have are dismal. I feel like they have the same light output as headlights from the 50's! Should look pretty cool and there is an outlet adapter that you just screw into where your light socket to plug my shop lights into.

Last edited by Gray_Panther; 10-03-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
Matticus913469.50
      10-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
We applied some more mudding to certain patches, so it looks like tomorrow is the day we paint on the primer and start painting the corners and borders.

As for today we got some wood and used the table saw to make window frames for the inside of the garage. They came out pretty sharp!

Also spent a few hours adding in another outlet so I can plug my liftmaster garage door opener in right next to it, rather than running an extension cord from the liftmaster to one of the wall outlets. Trip hazards avoided, trophy acquired!

That was a fun project, I never done that before but at least now I know how to do it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...INE72UI4&psc=1

Probably going to order these tonight since the lights I currently have are dismal. I feel like they have the same light output as headlights from the 50's! Should look pretty cool and there is an outlet adapter that you just screw into where your light socket to plug my shop lights into.
I just installed a set of Barrina LED lights in a different garage and liked them so much, I ordered a set of 8 for my own garage. They weigh nothing and can be mounted into molleys in the ceiling rather than studs, so you can put them wherever you want. They also mount flush and are linkable. I was really impressed especially for the price. And I am using a light socket to wall socket adapter to plug them into a light fixture in my garage like you stated. You have to be careful about how you install these, as the orientation of the wires and the plugs may slowly back the fixture out of the light socket and the lights will go out. If possible, you would want any tension to be pulling the fixture tighter into the socket.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, these guys will keep the wires in check so they aren't dangling:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2UI4&psc=1

I just installed a set of Barrina LED lights in a different garage and liked them so much, I ordered a set of 8 for my own garage. They weigh nothing and can be mounted into molleys in the ceiling rather than studs, so you can put them wherever you want. They also mount flush and are linkable. I was really impressed especially for the price. And I am using a light socket to wall socket adapter to plug them into a light fixture in my garage like you stated. You have to be careful about how you install these, as the orientation of the wires and the plugs may slowly back the fixture out of the light socket and the lights will go out. If possible, you would want any tension to be pulling the fixture tighter into the socket.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNPL2VC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, these guys will keep the wires in check so they aren't dangling:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQNBQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! I have those cable holders already but never thought to use them because of that issue! What a great price for those lights.
Do you have any photos of what they look like installed and turned on in the garage? I like the hanging look but flush sounds pretty good too.
      10-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I have those cable holders already but never thought to use them because of that issue! What a great price for those lights.
Do you have any photos of what they look like installed and turned on in the garage? I like the hanging look but flush sounds pretty good too.
I don't think I took a pic of the other garage I installed them in, and mine just showed up today so I haven't installed them yet. It's certainly a more minimal look than the hanging lights. If your garage has tall ceilings the hanging ones may not be a height issue and the hanging ones may actually put out more effective light, since they're closer to the ground. But you can also put up twice the amount of these lights for the same price.

This video might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkhgQfWACx8
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Got a lot done by priming all the walls and painted the ceiling white as I feel will reflect the light better. I also went around and did most of the corners and trims. So all my dad and I have to do tomorrow is roll on the paint for the walls.
Here are some pics of what was done today:

And here is a pic for my fellow 1er drivers with the leftover paint I had!
Matticus913469.50
Gangplank1538.50
      10-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good work!
      10-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

I installed those Barrina lights today. Overall I am really impressed with how much light you get for $50. Install was very easy too. One thing to note - my 8-pack came with 40" linking wires, while the 6-pack only came with 6" wires.

This weekend, I also installed a ceiling storage rack - it is a Monsterrax 2'x8'. This has cleared up so much floor space, it is incredible. I can't believe I waited this long to install this.
Attached Images

Last edited by rowsdower; 10-07-2018 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I installed those Barrina lights today. Overall I am really impressed with how much light you get for $50. Install was very easy too. One thing to note - my 8-pack came with 40" linking wires, while the 6-pack only came with 6" wires.

This weekend, I also installed a ceiling storage rack - it is a Monsterrax 2'x8'. This has cleared up so much floor space, it is incredible. I can't believe I waited this long to install this.
Very bright indeed! The garage is looking great and I am digging your benchtop. Am I correct to assume you have more room on the right side to park the car?
      10-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Finished painting on Friday night!
Yesterday I cleaned up the garage and snapped some pictures to share:

I also ordered the hanging shop lights that I linked to earlier in this thread. After I install those, I still have some remaining items to purchase and mount up. I am not done yet!

Edit: I have to find the right lighting to capture some better pictures of the garage. The paint is a dark gray (coincidence with my username ) with a hue of blue. Really is nice to look at.
      10-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

I also found this floor jack on Amazon, anybody have their opinions on this?
I like this handles on the side to lift it up easier and move it around.
https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-Al...63991914&psc=1

Will be used on 1er, GTI, Tiguan and maybe a Honda Pilot to get the winter wheels put on it.
      10-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #15
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Very bright indeed! The garage is looking great and I am digging your benchtop. Am I correct to assume you have more room on the right side to park the car?
The workbench is from Sears. It's about 6' long with a butcher block top. I got mine from a scratch and dent sale, it's decent but not super sturdy. If I were to do it again I would build a bench out of 2x4s.

Yeah my garage has a weird config. From the street it looks like a 2-car, but one bay is 30' deep and the other is 20'. So I have my workshop area shown in the photo, plus a normal 2-car garage.

Sorry I'm flooding your thread here. I am just thinking through what I would change about my own garage if I could start over. My floor has been epoxied (from previous owners) with the flakes in it. I highly recommend the coating, but I would skip the flakes. The flakes are there to hide dirt but they actually just hide dropped bolts. I would strongly recommend a solid color if you do a floor coating.
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #16
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The workbench is from Sears. It's about 6' long with a butcher block top. I got mine from a scratch and dent sale, it's decent but not super sturdy. If I were to do it again I would build a bench out of 2x4s.

Yeah my garage has a weird config. From the street it looks like a 2-car, but one bay is 30' deep and the other is 20'. So I have my workshop area shown in the photo, plus a normal 2-car garage.

Sorry I'm flooding your thread here. I am just thinking through what I would change about my own garage if I could start over. My floor has been epoxied (from previous owners) with the flakes in it. I highly recommend the coating, but I would skip the flakes. The flakes are there to hide dirt but they actually just hide dropped bolts. I would strongly recommend a solid color if you do a floor coating.
In the large corner I will be building my own affixed bench. I need the bench to be sturdy because I plan on having a utility vise.

I actually enjoy reading your posts and looking at ideas you did for your garage. Keep flooding

I received the 4 pack of shop lights and already installed two of them. I will install the other two tomorrow. But wow! Already what a difference, especially in the color of the walls in the white light. I can't wait to see what all four of them lit up will be like and with the cars in the garage.

I did have to take a step back, because both my hot and cold spigots mildly burst when I tried using them for the first time connected with my power washer. I returned the spigots to Home Depot and got my money back and need to look at more durable and reliable spigots that can handle the temperature and the pressure for my setup. Overall, this garage is really coming together and turning out better than I imagined! Waiting until Black Friday for the tool chest I am hunting for to go down in price.
      10-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

You guys are going to love my tool chest!
      10-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #19
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Here are the finished pictures:

Tool chest I picked on Friday from Home Depot for $750 is made by Husky. It was last years model so I was able to get it for $200 less than msrp. Ball bearing rails with soft close/open feature, both sides have 3 outlets and 2 USB ports each, and a bottle opener on its side!! The black flows really well with the color of the walls and it takes up the right amount of space.
I am able to hold my tools and some of my detailing equipment comfortably. All I am missing now is a workbench to the right of it.
      10-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #20
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Looks kickass! That color looks really good.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #21
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Looks great man! Any plans for shelves? I ****ing love shelves lol I put them all up and down ever wall i had in my garage with hanging hooks for certain tools as well. Best move you can make for extra and accessible storage. I also used a hoist rig for our bikes to get them up to the ceiling and off the floor, works great for things like kayaks too that you don't use super frequently.

EDIT: Forgot to mention for the shelves I put on the sides of my walls I mounted them up about a foot higher than the top of our cars just to ensure clearance while working and moving about. I had one set at 7ft that I could comfortably walk under on the right side too so i could get one of the cars real close to that side if i needed more working space in the rest of the garage.
      10-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #22
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Looks great man! Any plans for shelves? I ****ing love shelves lol I put them all up and down ever wall i had in my garage with hanging hooks for certain tools as well. Best move you can make for extra and accessible storage. I also used a hoist rig for our bikes to get them up to the ceiling and off the floor, works great for things like kayaks too that you don't use super frequently.

EDIT: Forgot to mention for the shelves I put on the sides of my walls I mounted them up about a foot higher than the top of our cars just to ensure clearance while working and moving about. I had one set at 7ft that I could comfortably walk under on the right side too so i could get one of the cars real close to that side if i needed more working space in the rest of the garage.
Thank you! I am making a shelves for shoes today with some wood I found. A few hours of my time and another day for the stain to cure should be all that is needed.

rowsdower thanks man! I love how it came out.

Yesterday I assembled the work bench frame and threw it in the corner. Going to go to home depot to get some wood to make a bench. I got the work bench from amazon, Stack-On frame for $65.
And cleaned up and organized the garage some more to keep it as minimal looking as possible.
Attached Images