09-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #45
Plaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M; '08 MCS; '02 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
The M button only gets you a sharper throttle response mapping. Unlike the new M5 the 1M engine (N54) doesn't have the VALVETRONIC feature (the single-turbo N55 engine in the late 135i does have it though).
Then why does Herr Poggel say it does?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #46
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

You can modify wastegate duty cycle without Valvetronic. Having the wategates normally closed (M button on) decreases spool time and gives a harder/faster kick when transitioning from partial to full throttle.

Without the M button on, the wastegates are normally open to reduce backpressure/pumping losses and increase efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #47
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Then why does Herr Poggel say it does?
Isn't he talking about the new M5?!

You can only get access to the OVERBOOST function (wategate late opening) with the M button ON.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #48
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Isn't he talking about the new M5?!

You can only get access to the OVERBOOST function (wategate late opening) with the M button ON.
Overboost has nothing to do with the M button.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #49
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
+1
      09-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #50
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorst View Post
+1
Just floor the bitch thats your overboost
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #51
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

I'm confused... I thought the m button was for super pursuit mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #52
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

i thought there'd be more mechanics or something on this board? this goes back to a post i created when i first joined...looking for a 1M shop/repair manual. this would explain everything! is there an M specific shop/repair manual available yet? everything that BMW does is computer/internet based, but I would sure love to have a DVD version or something for myself if I could.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #53
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
The WG is used to regulate the charging pressure. A boost controller decides how much air to escape out the WG to keep the turbo speed at what it needs to feed the engine at its boost target. If the WG remains closed the exhaust gas always passes over the turbine which then runs at a considerably higher speed. With the M button ON and at WOT, the WG stays closed until it hits its overboost target, it holds it at that level for a couple of seconds then opens more to run the boost down to held level.

Since the M button changes the WG settings, it also changes the overboost function (500Nm of torque).

M button function:
  1. Sharper throttle response mapping;
  2. Overboost;
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #54
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdawood View Post
I'm confused... I thought the m button was for super pursuit mode?
For Super Pursuit you have to push the M, and also turn off the AC.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #55
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Like and i others have said, the M button seems to change wategate operation and pedal position vs load requested.

That qualifies as mechanical change M button on vs off.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #56
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The WG is used to regulate the charging pressure. A boost controller decides how much air to escape out the WG to keep the turbo speed at what it needs to feed the engine at its boost target. If the WG remains closed the exhaust gas always passes over the turbine which then runs at a considerably higher speed. With the M button ON and at WOT, the WG stays closed until it hits its overboost target, it holds it at that level for a couple of seconds then opens more to run the boost down to held level.

Since the M button changes the WG settings, it also changes the overboost function (500Nm of torque).

M button function:
  2. Overboost;
Overboost occurs regardless of whether or not the M button is activated. The only difference may be is that overboost is achieved quicker in M mode because the wastegate is already closed. It doesn't mean there's more boost.
Not sure why you still think overboost is linked to the M button. It's not that complicated.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #57
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Since the M button changes the WG settings, it also changes the overboost function
Sorry, like others here, I have to call BS on this one. Surely just by trying this out on your own 1M you'd know this not to be true?
      09-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #58
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:

M button function:
  2. Overboost;
Can we put a nail in the coffin and get an official technical understanding on how the overboost works in this car?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #59
evoiii90
Private
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

From BMW's 1M technical training documentation (Technical Training, E82 M Complete Vehicle, BMW Group University, ST1104)

Quote:
The effect of the M Engine dynamics control Sports mode on the BMW E82 M Coupe is to further increase the responsiveness of the acceleration compared with the already very direct response of the basic setting (conversion of pedal sensor position to power delivery)
This is what most have been saying all along, the M button changes the sensitivity/mapping of the throttle pedal, much like like the Sport mode in E9x M3s and even the old E46 M3.

Quote:
This function is comparable with the M Engine dynamics control Sports mode on the BMW E9x M3. On that model, it is activated by the Power button on the center console.
The next paragraph says:

Quote:
In addition, control of the turbochargerwastegate valves is programmed for maximum turbocharger speed in the lower power band for enhanced responsiveness. This produces a further gain in dynamic response when accelerating from a constant speed and adopting a positive driving style.
This is basically what "Fundahl" was saying before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
You can modify wastegate duty cycle without Valvetronic. Having the wategates normally closed (M button on) decreases spool time and gives a harder/faster kick when transitioning from partial to full throttle.

Without the M button on, the wastegates are normally open to reduce backpressure/pumping losses and increase efficiency.
Now this means the overboost function will KICK IN SOONER, it DOES NOT mean the engine is going to deliver more power because there was an extra increase of boost pressure, ONLY SOONER. There is NO EXTRA power compared to the regular overboost function.

Quote:

M button function:
  2. Overboost;
I will say this is partially correct, I will only add that the M button changes WHEN the overboost kicks in, not by HOW MUCH.

Quote:
Overboost occurs regardless of whether or not the M button is activated. The only difference may be is that overboost is achieved quicker in M mode because the wastegate is already closed. It doesn't mean there's more boost.
Not sure why you still think overboost is linked to the M button. It's not that complicated.
This is again partially correct. As I said before and as BMW's documentation says, it only changes WHEN, not by how much so we CAN say it DOES change the overboost function by determining WHEN it engages.

Lastly, here is another paragraph of the same document:

Quote:
As on the BMW Z4 sDriveSSis, the maximum torque of 450Nm/295 ft Ibs is briefly raised (for five sec¬onds max.) to 500Nm/369 ft Ibs by the overboost function. The precondition for the overboost function is a demand for acceleration of more than 80%. The increased torque is available from as low as 1,500 rpm right through to 4,500 rpm. That means that the torque gain can be as much as 100 Nm compared to the BMW 135i.
Based on all this I guess we can put this one to rest.... Attached is the page where I extracted all this...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 09-25-2011 04;09;11PM.pdf (177.9 KB, 658 views)

Sold: 1990 Euro Brilliant Rot Sport Evolution E30 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #60
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Brilliant. Maybe it should even be stickied...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #61
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoiii90 View Post

This is again partially correct. As I said before and as BMW's documentation says, it only changes WHEN, not by how much so we CAN say it DOES change the overboost function by determining WHEN it engages.
I disagree with you. The document does not specify any changes to the overboost function. The programming of the wastegate valve in M mode only changes the responsiveness of the turbo and all this does is allow the turbo to spool up quicker. Overboost still occurs when the demand for acceleration is greater than 80%.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #62
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
I disagree with you. The document does not specify any changes to the overboost function. The programming of the wastegate valve in M mode only changes the responsiveness of the turbo and all this does is allow the turbo to spool up quicker. Overboost still occurs when the demand for acceleration is greater than 80%.
edited: I feel more civilised after work.

The document does not specify any changes to the overboost function, but the parameters for the overboost has changed when the M button is pressed. The 80% demand for acceleration itself is just a precondition, but not a causation of overboost according to the article. Whether the overboost occurs still depends on other conditions, and optimal traction is an overriding condition. The articles further explained that the reasons why overboost rarely occurs or minimal in 1st or 2nd gear, while you get more overboost in 4th gear than 3rd gear.

The article clearly stated that the M button does two things: a) changes the engine mapping, b) closing the wastegate. It also further explains this is the reason why the DSC will tend to kick in more often when the M button's pushed. With these changed parameters, the behaviour of the overboost will change.

In reality, that also explains why I don't feel the overboost when M button is not on, whereas I can feel the kick when the M button is pressed. It is probably more relating to the engine mapping and the faster response that causes the overboost to come in quicker (time wise).

Last edited by sparoz; 09-26-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #63
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Brilliant. Maybe it should even be stickied...
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #64
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The programming of the wastegate valve in M mode only changes the responsiveness of the turbo and all this does is allow the turbo to spool up quicker. Overboost still occurs when the demand for acceleration is greater than 80%.
If that is so, then you should note NO difference between M Engine dynamics control Sports mode ON and Sports mode OFF when drag racing against the clock because in that situation the demand for acceleration is ALWAYS greater than 80% with 'Power Shifting' - your foot is kept on the gas during each speed-shift. (You will need to make your shift quickly enough so that you do not hit the rev-limiter!)

Try it with your 1M... if you are right, then you CAN'T be quicker on the clock with the M button ON because you would have the exact same max. torque between 1500-4500rpm (responsiveness of the acceleration - the dynamic response when accelerating from a constant speed - doesn't play a role here) !!!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-26-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #65
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

I bet you are quicker with the M button ON...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #66
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I bet you are quicker with the M button ON...
Dan reckons he's quicker with the M button off .
Appreciate 0