BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

Engine tunes and a manual

In various "suggested mods" threads, a lot of you are suggesting JB3 or Dinan stage 2. One thing that confuses me is that, in many places, I read the manual tranny in the 135i can't handle much more torque than it is getting already (one of the articles speculating on a new 1 series M mentioned it, and many people thought it was why the Performance Power Kit added less torque to the manual than the auto).

Are people really running this transmission with 400 lbs-ft tunes? What are the consequences, just reduced tranny life? I sort of thought it would just blow up...

Or does everyone doing perf mods drive an auto?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

So far i have not seen a tranny blow with a tune but the clutches do seem to have reduced life of course. I think most car companies purposely under estimate the capabilities of the motor and trans to deter people from modding the cars. I know there a ton of guys on this board with MT's running tunes and other mods. You have to remember that you can not get a guarantee of longevity from anyone when you mod your car. You roll the dice and deal with what happens. No way of knowing how long a part will last for sure. It is really going to depend on how you drive the car as well. If you power shift or do a lot of hard high rpm launches then yes for sure the trans will not last long even with the stock tune.