BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDPNDT View Post
OP - so how do you feel about the ST's for handling and comfort? It's been a few months - let's hear the update.
I love them! The ST's aren't "race spec" in the sense that they are ridiculously aggressive, but that doesn't mean they're awesome. They ride surprisingly close to stock. Over larger bumps the suspension doesn't travel as much and it's more comfortable, but you hear a louder "thump". Over small repeating bumps it gets a little shakey, but nothing too bad. Overall, though, the car feels much stiffer than before. The difference wasn't immediately noticeable, though I think part of that was that they were "breaking-in" and the other part was in my head because the ride choppiness wasn't bad at all so part of me was thinking did I get swindled for coilovers with stock specs? Then I started taking some corners faster and I was pleasantly surprised. 90-95% of the body roll is gone, even on comparatively "soft" coilovers, and even though my car was only moderately lowered (noticeable lowering but not slammed), the car just kind of felt like the center of gravity was lower and it "wanted" to stay more planted. I'm sure more aggressive coilovers would feel even better, but for a greater sacrifice of comfort. I then added an M3 front sway bar and that took care of that last 5-10% of body roll. It feels perfect! I feel like I could be competent at a track or autocross with the car, unlike with the stock suspension, but I can also enjoy the ride around town even on pothole-ridden NJ streets. One thing to note.. with square winter tires, these coils, and the M3 sway the understeer is almost completely gone. Sweet

Next I am adding M3 front control arms (tension rods, wishbones, headlight links). Should stiffen things further up front, add a bit of negative camber, and some good steering feel. Then.. the rear suspension work starts and my wallet gets emptier.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #24
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I love them! The ST's aren't "race spec" in the sense that they are ridiculously aggressive, but that doesn't mean they're awesome. They ride surprisingly close to stock. Over larger bumps the suspension doesn't travel as much and it's more comfortable, but you hear a louder "thump". Over small repeating bumps it gets a little shakey, but nothing too bad. Overall, though, the car feels much stiffer than before. The difference wasn't immediately noticeable, though I think part of that was that they were "breaking-in" and the other part was in my head because the ride choppiness wasn't bad at all so part of me was thinking did I get swindled for coilovers with stock specs? Then I started taking some corners faster and I was pleasantly surprised. 90-95% of the body roll is gone, even on comparatively "soft" coilovers, and even though my car was only moderately lowered (noticeable lowering but not slammed), the car just kind of felt like the center of gravity was lower and it "wanted" to stay more planted. I'm sure more aggressive coilovers would feel even better, but for a greater sacrifice of comfort. I then added an M3 front sway bar and that took care of that last 5-10% of body roll. It feels perfect! I feel like I could be competent at a track or autocross with the car, unlike with the stock suspension, but I can also enjoy the ride around town even on pothole-ridden NJ streets. One thing to note.. with square winter tires, these coils, and the M3 sway the understeer is almost completely gone. Sweet

Next I am adding M3 front control arms (tension rods, wishbones, headlight links). Should stiffen things further up front, add a bit of negative camber, and some good steering feel. Then.. the rear suspension work starts and my wallet gets emptier.
should i sell you my new m3 front control arm kits and rear bushings?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #25
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
should i sell you my new m3 front control arm kits and rear bushings?
I'm not looking for the rear right now, as it's a pain to do things back there and I figure I'll do all that when I can finally get an LSD and rear sway..

BUT.. if you're serious about selling a brand new front control arm kit from the E92/93 M3 (front tension rods, wishbones, and headlight links; this one) Please PM me! My plan was to pool whatever Christmas money I get from relatives on top of my own little stash and go for the kit right after the New Year (since I'll be on a new year's vacation starting the day after christmas, getting back a couple days later). I am 100% serious about buying a kit, either from a vendor or from any member, so if you just have a bit of patience for me to pool my money and get back from vacation, I would definitely buy it from a fellow forum member over a vendor. Just curious, what's the reason for selling a brand new kit like this?

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #26
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I'm not looking for the rear right now, as it's a pain to do things back there and I figure I'll do all that when I can finally get an LSD and rear sway..

BUT.. if you're serious about selling a brand new front control arm kit from the E92/93 M3 (front tension rods, wishbones, and headlight links; this one) Please PM me! My plan was to pool whatever Christmas money I get from relatives on top of my own little stash and go for the kit right after the New Year (since I'll be on a new year's vacation starting the day after christmas, getting back a couple days later). I am 100% serious about buying a kit, either from a vendor or from any member, so if you just have a bit of patience for me to pool my money and get back from vacation, I would definitely buy it from a fellow forum member over a vendor. Just curious, what's the reason for selling a brand new kit like this?
my car got hit&run last week in a parking lot. so scratches in the front bumper and a minor flex in the left fender, though i used bmw touch up paint fixed the paint today. it hurts my feeling every time i see it. what a Christmas!

the main reason not to keep it is that i would upgrade it to a more powerful car in 2-3 years, say the rumored M2; or a new 3 for my family with kids in the future. I decide stopping modding and keep my money in other more important areas such a buying mom a Tiffany necklace

if you are ok with my current price (5% off and free shipping), i would part it out for you if it is still available when you come back.

have a good vacation. from what i know, you r still a student and you deserve it. i wish i would be in your situation when i was at your age however guns only.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #27
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
my car got hit&run last week in a parking lot. so scratches in the front bumper and a minor flex in the left fender, though i used bmw touch up paint fixed the paint today. it hurts my feeling every time i see it. what a Christmas!

the main reason not to keep it is that i would upgrade it to a more powerful car in 2-3 years, say the rumored M2; or a new 3 for my family with kids in the future. I decide stopping modding and keep my money in other more important areas such a buying mom a Tiffany necklace

if you are ok with my current price (5% off and free shipping), i would part it out for you if it is still available when you come back.

have a good vacation. from what i know, you r still a student and you deserve it. i wish i would be in your situation when i was at your age however guns only.

Shit man, I saw this on your F/S thread. I'm really sorry this happened! People really suck. Really. I have so little faith in humanity because of this type of crap. Nobody with a nice car like a BMW deserves this. Can't have nice things because morons will mess it up for you

I am okay with that price. I think I got quoted 550 shipped anyway so your price is a little lower for a new kit, plus it goes to a good cause. I am a part time student, and part time + self employed worker, though money is tight indeed, especially with $1000+ per credit. wtf. this is why I'm such a mess with my money gathering. I bought the car when times were better and I had a big ol pool of money laying around.. not so any more.

I'll definitely hit you up when I'm back. I don't expect you to hold onto it for me if you've got another interested customer, but I am definitely interested and if it's still available I will definitely be contacting you

Okay, and I just noticed you're in florida, which happens to be where I'm headed (west coast), but my mother lives on the east coast. If I can pull my shit together over my vacation, I might be able to even save you on the shipping and come get it, but no promises

Good luck with the sale!! (or should I say bad luck so I can snatch this for myself )

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #28
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

i may change my mind, parting out tomorrow to you. see if i have a good or ok day tomorrow.

you can tell from my cloth (as of today) i am not at fl at the moment. shit for my last duty.

yep, welcome to the sunshine state.
Appreciate 0