BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #23
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

Cars rarely sound good when you're just cruising, unless its a V8 with a loapy cam.

Think a Ferrari would sound great over a 6 hour drive at a constant speed? I'm pretty sure even the biggest fan would get tired of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #24
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
That wasnt my point bud, I was saying it seems like everyone that buys a louder exhaust that wasnt really expecting it, just makes up for it by blasting their stereo and using that as an excuse cuz they dont wanna return it or go thru the shit of having to sell it for another one. It all just comes down to researching the product your getting, if its a droney exhaust and u dont want that, dont get it..

But saying that its droney..and then saying later that its not that bad cuz the radio drowns it out just sounds kind of off
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 02:31 AM   #25
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Anywaaaay.....I installed my Maddad midpipe this weekend to go with my Catless DP's and Maddad Whisper Axelback....YES it does drone in 2-3 gear at around 3000rpm. If I cruised around on the highway in those gears and that rpm then it would get tiresome...but I don't sooo.....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #26
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Driving at 80 mph in 6th gear, no drone and car is pretty quite at that speed; unless you slow down to 60 mph in 6th gear, then it will drone but you can always shift it into 5th gear to bring up the rpm to eliminate the drone.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #27
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I never said it droned overly but it does drone. If you do some research you'll find that Maddad is the only exhaust that completely eliminates the drone altogether. All the other brands such as AFE, CPE, etc all drone. It's just how it is. It's not that bad though. I rate my AA exhaust you need to hear it in person.
My BMW Perf Exhaust has no drone, so you must've been referring to after-market exhausts? I love the sound of the BMW PE! ...and frankly, the difference among the various exhausts' note(s) is sweet to my ears! Definitely a personal preference for each of us and adds a personal touch to each car.
      03-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #28
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
My BMW Perf Exhaust has no drone, so you must've been referring to after-market exhausts? I love the sound of the BMW PE! ...and frankly, the difference among the various exhausts' note(s) is sweet to my ears! Definitely a personal preference for each of us and adds a personal touch to each car.
I've spoken to a few members that have the Perf Exhaust and they have reported drone on highway cruising. Some people have different tolerances to drone levels though. My AA exhaust definitely drones but it's not a problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #29
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

So just to be clear our cars have 4 cats essentially 2 in the DPS and 2 in the midpipes. This midpipe boltsup tothe DP's and the Axle Back. Will adding this part throw O2 codes? or fail inspection? I like the cat looking resonators since here in PA they do visual inspection, these would be key.
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #30
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smac355 View Post
So just to be clear our cars have 4 cats essentially 2 in the DPS and 2 in the midpipes. This midpipe boltsup tothe DP's and the Axle Back. Will adding this part throw O2 codes? or fail inspection? I like the cat looking resonators since here in PA they do visual inspection, these would be key.
From what I understand the primary cats are in the downpipes and changing the midpipes would not throw any codes. I agree with you that the maddad midpipe design look very good because the mini-resonators look like the oem secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #31
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smac355 View Post
You won't through any cels from a midpipe. The only exhaust piece in the chain that will throw a code(if you don't put some electronic fix in place) is the downpipe. If you replace your downpipes with catless, you will throw a cel unless you have a cel fix applied.

The factory ECU is clueless about the rear cats that are in the midpipe. There are no 02 sensors after those cats meaning the ECU is not sniffing your exhaust stream after them, so no codes.

Also on the subject of drone. If you replace your downpipes and everything else after them your just going to have to put up with some drone. I don't know of any setup that doesn't have some. Keep the factory downpipes and just replace the midpipe and axleback and you can almost get nirvana. Just a hint in 6th under very unusual circumstances(like cruising at 60mph in 6th then flooring it). There are a couple of reivews from guys with "downpipe back" setups of the midpipe and Whisper axlback and drone is almost non existant in except for the scenario above.

R.
      05-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #32
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Check out this video of the CEO of **********s.com Mike Browns BMW 135i with the aFe Axle Back exhaust, aFe Intake, aFe Throttle Body Spacer, and aFe intake scoops!

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWMBZp9b5XE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWMBZp9b5XE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0