BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #1
jamespaoli
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Retrofitted Pre-LCI headlights

Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of different people asking about photos for this and as there is a couple people doing the retrofits i just thought id share what i did with everyone. I gathered lots of information from the forum and online to accomplish this and happy to share

Smoked reflectors(amber delete)
Matte black painted shrouds, housings and all the internal parts like the cornering light lens
3/4 DTM Halos mounted on top of the shrouds
Switchback amber LED with the turn signals(when i use my hazards or turn signals the 3/4 Halos turn amber with the signal and once the turn is complete it goes back to white)

Amber turn signal video link below:

Attached Images

Last edited by jamespaoli; 10-25-2018 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Adding photo of the Halos on
Appreciate 3
low1352210.50
Fishee996.00
      10-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Is a custom headlight or a aftermarket product. Looks better than many choices

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Is a custom headlight or a aftermarket product. Looks better than many choices
Which part?
The actual 3/4 DTM halo ring is aftermarket from bavgruppe but the harness is pretty much plug and play besides the soldering for the switchback LED. If you order the plane jane white halos it will be strictly plug and play.

I used my OEM adaptive xenon headlight housing and internal parts and just primed and painted them black the only other piece that was aftermarket was the reflector, i ordered the pre-tinted reflector and removed my stock ones

*Edit*
My apology the carbon fiber eyelid inside the housing was also aftermarket but it is not needed, i just liked it to match my splitter

Last edited by jamespaoli; 10-15-2018 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Adding in eyelid
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Looks great, very similar to what I want to do with mine
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post

Goodluck PM me anytime if i can be a help... Also if you decide to go with Bavgruppe halos they provide instructions on their website in the tutorial section. Keep in mind one thing, even though the halos say its for 128/135 the instructions are from another BMW where the internal parts of the lights like the shrouds are way different. The instructions are more of a base line and a lot of things they say wont be followed for our 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
Quote:

Goodluck PM me anytime if i can be a help... Also if you decide to go with Bavgruppe halos they provide instructions on their website in the tutorial section. Keep in mind one thing, even though the halos say its for 128/135 the instructions are from another BMW where the internal parts of the lights like the shrouds are way different. The instructions are more of a base line and a lot of things they say wont be followed for our 1 series.
Man, I just don't know if I feel comfortable cutting open my lights and doing all that. I've never done a headlight retrofit and I'm shaky to do it on $1800 lights lol we'll see. I got a couple decent quotes to have a place do them. It was like $900 to split, blackout the housing and corner, install the bavruppe halos, reseal and ship. I didn't think that was too bad
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Man, I just don't know if I feel comfortable cutting open my lights and doing all that. I've never done a headlight retrofit and I'm shaky to do it on $1800 lights lol we'll see. I got a couple decent quotes to have a place do them. It was like $900 to split, blackout the housing and corner, install the bavruppe halos, reseal and ship. I didn't think that was too bad

Wow.. for $900 that is absolutely worth it, the best part is with the Bavgruppe harness you shouldnt get any CEL and nothing really needs to be changed too much... Honestly $900 is worth it also keep in mind most of the companies who offer it will provide a warranty on the seal.

It is a shit ton of work dude i wont lie, i almost gave up multiple times but i am so happy with the results it changes the ENTIRE car!

PS - Biggest mistake people make is re-sealing the light and then they fry their ballast or adaptive control module
Appreciate 1
low1352210.50
      10-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wow.. for $900 that is absolutely worth it, the best part is with the Bavgruppe harness you shouldnt get any CEL and nothing really needs to be changed too much... Honestly $900 is worth it also keep in mind most of the companies who offer it will provide a warranty on the seal.

It is a shit ton of work dude i wont lie, i almost gave up multiple times but i am so happy with the results it changes the ENTIRE car!

PS - Biggest mistake people make is re-sealing the light and then they fry their ballast or adaptive control module
Well, that makes me feel a bit better about it then. Some play it off like it's an easy thing and I just don't feel comfortable doing it. This company has a year warranty against defects, workmanship, and leaks. I think that's well worth the $900 cost. Now I just need a daily or spare set of light so I can send them in haha
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, that makes me feel a bit better about it then. Some play it off like it's an easy thing and I just don't feel comfortable doing it. This company has a year warranty against defects, workmanship, and leaks. I think that's well worth the $900 cost. Now I just need a daily or spare set of light so I can send them in haha
Awesome.. ill add one more thing if theyre willing to open, install new halos paint and seal keep in mind the cost of parts(good quality) and paint is going to be about $300- $450 anyway doing it on your own depending which halos you get...

I purchased silicone, butyl, paint, primer, heat gun, clips, all odds and ends.. so really $900 is like 400-500 in labor and the rest in parts alone for a custom job with warranty cant beat it
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
dacosta135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

damn these look awesome! Id love to see more, have an instagram you show of your ride?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #11
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacosta135i View Post
damn these look awesome! Id love to see more, have an instagram you show of your ride?
Thanks a ton.. i dont use any social media sorry man but ill upload some pics for you.. let me know what you want to see/know
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #12
dacosta135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a ton.. i dont use any social media sorry man but ill upload some pics for you.. let me know what you want to see/know
Most the headlights as they are identical to what Ive had in my mind to get done with mine, but seeing the car as a whole would be great!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #13
dacosta135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also you said "Smoked reflectors(amber delete)" did you purchase these or smoke them yourself?

I found these thought maybe these were what you used but installed them inside the headlight rather then on the outside...lemme know
https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...erlays/?veh=82

Also did you post a video on your original start of the thread? If so could you send me the link.. i cant seem to see it in the thread
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #14
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Also you said "Smoked reflectors(amber delete)" did you purchase these or smoke them yourself?

I found these thought maybe these were what you used but installed them inside the headlight rather then on the outside...lemme know

Also did you post a video on your original start of the thread? If so could you send me the link.. i cant seem to see it in the thread

I uploaded some more photos and re-uploaded the amber turn signal to youtube.. Ill get some more specific ones up soon too..

So when you open the headlights the stock reflector is partially amber but the thing is it doesnt "Strip" off easily or at all and i didnt like how it came out smoked. Here are the ones i bought from N5 TUNER.. a bit expensive but worth it considering youll never replace them again typically. They offer 3 variations, clear, light smoke and dark, i went with the middle light smoke option

Edit: I checked the link you sent, those look like they literally lay over the headlight lense, the ones i purchased from N5 tuner require opening the light and removing the current reflector and attaching the new reflector to the shroud(which isnt as easy as it looks it takes time to pry the hinges out)

http://n5tuner.com/index.php?main_pa...4#.W9I2_vZG1PY
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #15
dacosta135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome, definitely going to make the purchase. Rather pay a little bit more to look alot better! Ill get mine done in the next month or so. I will post a thread and post the link to my thread here aswell so you can check it out! Thanks for the help you really got my convinced on how I'd like my headlights to look.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, definitely going to make the purchase. Rather pay a little bit more to look alot better! Ill get mine done in the next month or so. I will post a thread and post the link to my thread here aswell so you can check it out! Thanks for the help you really got my convinced on how I'd like my headlights to look.
No problem at all man... good luck with everything cant wait to see them
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #17
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:

I uploaded some more photos and re-uploaded the amber turn signal to youtube.. Ill get some more specific ones up soon too..

So when you open the headlights the stock reflector is partially amber but the thing is it doesnt "Strip" off easily or at all and i didnt like how it came out smoked. Here are the ones i bought from N5 TUNER.. a bit expensive but worth it considering youll never replace them again typically. They offer 3 variations, clear, light smoke and dark, i went with the middle light smoke option

Edit: I checked the link you sent, those look like they literally lay over the headlight lense, the ones i purchased from N5 tuner require opening the light and removing the current reflector and attaching the new reflector to the shroud(which isnt as easy as it looks it takes time to pry the hinges out)

http://n5tuner.com/index.php?main_pa...4#.W9I2_vZG1PY
Is the corner piece painted plastic or is it like orange plastic and it can't be stripped off?

I think the usd 100 is a bit insane for a piece of plastic and if I can strip off the orange and paint it with a black tint I'd rather do that and save the 100 bucks or so.

Pleased to hear

M
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:49 AM   #18
Elliottjb
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N54

Quote:
Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of different people asking about photos for this and as there is a couple people doing the retrofits i just thought id share what i did with everyone. I gathered lots of information from the forum and online to accomplish this and happy to share

Smoked reflectors(amber delete)
Matte black painted shrouds, housings and all the internal parts like the cornering light lens
3/4 DTM Halos mounted on top of the shrouds
Switchback amber LED with the turn signals(when i use my hazards or turn signals the 3/4 Halos turn amber with the signal and once the turn is complete it goes back to white)

Amber turn signal video link below:

Great to finally see a 1 series build with the bavgruppe parts.

May I ask, did you have to cut anything to make them fit? What did you use to attach the LED rings to the headlights internally?

Did you use an oven to heat up the seal?

I appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0