BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cylinder head thermostat housing/hose

Hi guys, I was about to replace the O ring on the cylinder head coolant housing, but I see there are some upgrades available to the housing itself. They move from plastic housing to aluminum and not that expensive. I have gone ahead and ordered the Rein aluminum housing as well as an O ring in case I change my mind.

Question I have for anyone who has done this....

The hose clamp is a BMW crimped version, meaning permanent. I have read that I need to Dremel off the clamp. But I will be doing this while the hose is still attached at bottom (thermostat itself) I don't want to pull water-pump to gain access to thermostat hose, which I think I would need to, albeit might be easier??

Has anyone done this with hose still attached to thermostat? I am guessing it will be a delicate operation, but nothing else to do at the moment

Any advice would be appreciated.
      04-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
andysantoro
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGtoe View Post
Hi guys, I was about to replace the O ring on the cylinder head coolant housing, but I see there are some upgrades available to the housing itself. They move from plastic housing to aluminum and not that expensive. I have gone ahead and ordered the Rein aluminum housing as well as an O ring in case I change my mind.

Question I have for anyone who has done this....

The hose clamp is a BMW crimped version, meaning permanent. I have read that I need to Dremel off the clamp. But I will be doing this while the hose is still attached at bottom (thermostat itself) I don't want to pull water-pump to gain access to thermostat hose, which I think I would need to, albeit might be easier??

Has anyone done this with hose still attached to thermostat? I am guessing it will be a delicate operation, but nothing else to do at the moment

Any advice would be appreciated.
I just did this. I started with a dremel, but was too worried about cutting into the hose. I crushed the plastic flange with vice grips while it was still clamped in the hose. After it was broken up it came out and the permanent clamp slid right off.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for reply. Assuming the hose was still attached at bottom? I don't think my housing is that brittle but might be an option.
      04-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
andysantoro
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport

It was still attached. Mine didn’t look too bad either but it cracked up pretty easily. Try to point the open end of the hose down so no pieces fall into the hose. Mine came apart in a few big chunks. I didn’t like doing it either, but I wasn’t gonna reuse that plastic flange again, and so no other way to get that clamp off without damaging the hose.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Good timing on this post, I just order all the parts to change my OFHG and serpentine belt and pulleys, also ordered that Rein aluminum piece too. Not looking forward to do this job 😅
      04-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN.BIMMER View Post
Good timing on this post, I just order all the parts to change my OFHG and serpentine belt and pulleys, also ordered that Rein aluminum piece too. Not looking forward to do this job 😅
Taking the rad fan out made the job a whole lot easier. Especially putting the belt back on, etc.
      07-29-2020, 05:44 AM   #7
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysantoro View Post
It was still attached. Mine didn't look too bad either but it cracked up pretty easily. Try to point the open end of the hose down so no pieces fall into the hose. Mine came apart in a few big chunks. I didn't like doing it either, but I wasn't gonna reuse that plastic flange again, and so no other way to get that clamp off without damaging the hose.
Forgot to say thanks for the reco. Pointed hose down, crushed the old one and popped in new one. Was nervous pieces would fall inside hose but it came out in a couple pieces with no issues. Housing was shot.

Thanks again!