BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #23
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Your Dinan tune will override the PPK tune, since it's an entirely different flash. You will lose the noises. Also, in the first vid above, there are zero "cracks and pops".. If done right, (stack JB4 with PPK) you should have these noises..
      02-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #24
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
Your Dinan tune will override the PPK tune, since it's an entirely different flash. You will lose the noises....
That is not true. You will "NOT" lose those overrun noises.

My 135is came with the PPK tune. There was no difference in burble noises after the Dinan software installation. All burbles were and are still there and in all it's glory. Just like your youtube video.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #25
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I now have a BMW PE and am going to be adding the Dinan S2 shortly. I do not, however, have the PPK. If you haven't pulled the trigger by the time I get mine done, I will post a vid.

I know some are saying contrary to this, but I don't see how there would be any residual part of the PPK once the Dinan has overwritten it.

Also, I have heard of several people being offered a "trial period" on their Dinan tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #26
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Not according to the Dinan rep I spoke to at the East Coast Bimmerfest this past year. He said the tune they apply is additive to the PPK tune because I specifically asked him this question as mine has the PPK2 kit.

Also, if you check Dinan's website for the 135is which is what our 135i cars are with the PPK, you'll see claimed HP improvements which are different than the 135i tunes they have. Doing the math:

135i with Stage 2 = 300+60=360
135is with Stage 2 = 320+52=372
Well, that's nice and all but it's impossible.

If the "stage 2" flash nets more power on the 135is they are simply flashing the ECU with a slightly more aggressive bin than with the regular 135i. When you flash you overwrite what was there previously. There is no such thing as an additive flash.

You could stack a JB4 on top of the flash once you set it to the right settings, but we're not talking about that!
      02-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #27
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
Your Dinan tune will override the PPK tune, since it's an entirely different flash. You will lose the noises. Also, in the first vid above, there are zero "cracks and pops".. If done right, (stack JB4 with PPK) you should have these noises..
I'm confused. In your post above you imply you got your noises from stacking JB4 with PPK, but in your earlier post linked below you say you got your burble pop backfire stuff from updating your DME software. In both posts you use the same video. Which is it? JB4 with PPK or DME software? Just looking for some clarification.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...34&postcount=1

Last edited by Esteban; 02-08-2015 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #28
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Steve, if you use a flash stacked with a JB4, the flash dictates fueling, which is what creates the burble pop I believe. Hope that didn't make the confusion worse.
      02-09-2015, 04:47 AM   #29
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Steve, if you use a flash stacked with a JB4, the flash dictates fueling, which is what creates the burble pop I believe. Hope that didn't make the confusion worse.
Thanks Alex. Appreciate the help. Yeah, pretty sure you're correct. The pops and crackles come from gas igniting in the exhaust. That's not really the confusing part. In my post above, it's a bit confusing as to where e36addict's pops and crackles are coming from if you read his two posts (the one I've quoted and the one I've linked to.)

And no offense meant to JB4 users in any way, I'm sure their product is great, but I won't be using it with or without PPK, so I'm not that concerned about how it works. It's Dinan S2 for me or nothing.
      02-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #30
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Well, I have pops and burbles with JB4 alone. Not as much as the PPK but definitely more than stock. His sounds are coming from the fueling adjustments made by the dinan flash, and the bmwp exhaust helps you hear them more clearly.
      02-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Well, that's nice and all but it's impossible.

If the "stage 2" flash nets more power on the 135is they are simply flashing the ECU with a slightly more aggressive bin than with the regular 135i. When you flash you overwrite what was there previously. There is no such thing as an additive flash.

You could stack a JB4 on top of the flash once you set it to the right settings, but we're not talking about that!
To put this all to rest, you and other who said the flash gets overwritten are right. I contacted Dinan and here is what one of their reps replied.

"The software for the 135i and the 135is is different and if the wrong software were to be loaded the car would definitely run poorly because of this optimization.

The software flash erases the existing software on the DME and is NOT layered over the factory software so the PPK software would effectively be lost.

If you were to decide to remove the Dinan software the dealership could reflash the PPK software on the vehicle."
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #32
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

So, update?
Have you made the switch yet?
I got mine recently. I definiitely get rumbles and pops on decel, especially after completely dumping a load, i.e. pushing in the clutch (hmm..."dumping a load" may imply things other than what I meant).

I can try to do a video this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl117 View Post
My setup is very similar to that. The tone of the gurgles and pops are different. in my experience it's the actual exhaust setup that dictates the amount of pops than the actual software. I noticed the added pops with the delete of secondary cats and resonator. I'll try to get a video tomorrow.
Actually, no. Installed the PE on my car, sounded stock, just a little louder. Then installed the PPK, THAT is when I got the beautiful pops and farts on decel.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #34
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
So, update?
I got mine recently. I definiitely get rumbles and pops on decel, especially after completely dumping a load, i.e. pushing in the clutch (hmm..."dumping a load" may imply things other than what I meant).

Not exactly sure who you're addressing here, but since I'm the OP, I'll assume you're addressing me.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=43
      04-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #35
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban
Quote:
So, update?

Not exactly sure who you're addressing here, but since I'm the OP, I'll assume you're addressing me.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=43
I was addressing you, Steve.
Didn't know if you had made a decision yet, an assuming you didn't get it (yet) since your signature didn't change.

I think if you are happy with your power (and really, this car doesn't NEED any more power for DD purposes), and the sound is of paramount importance, you made the right call.
I have the setup you proposed, and while I do get burbles and pops on overrun, it is not as much as with PPK+PE. I wish it were, because half the time I'm driving around I am trying to make my car do that because I LOVE that sound.
But you would lose SOME of that with the Dinan (though the acceleration now is addictive too).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #36
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was addressing you, Steve.
Didn't know if you had made a decision yet, an assuming you didn't get it (yet) since your signature didn't change.

I think if you are happy with your power (and really, this car doesn't NEED any more power for DD purposes), and the sound is of paramount importance, you made the right call.
I have the setup you proposed, and while I do get burbles and pops on overrun, it is not as much as with PPK+PE. I wish it were, because half the time I'm driving around I am trying to make my car do that because I LOVE that sound.
But you would lose SOME of that with the Dinan (though the acceleration now is addictive too).
Of course, I would love more power, who wouldn't? For me, it just doesn't make sense to pay to potentially give up something I love. Granted, I will gain some more power, but with the possibility of losing something that I really love... the S-O-U-N-D! Which I can enjoy even while I'm going slow.

The only way I would do it would be if I could find someone who has PE + PPK + Dinan stage 2 tune. Then, either ride with that person or have that person make a video so I could hear their car. Then, if it sounded like mine, Maybe I would get Dinan S2, maybe... for me, that's still a lot of cash for a little gain.

Like I said in my other post, that's a lot of money for only 35 horsepower for me, because I already have PPK, which already gives me 20 additional horsepower. For you it's 55 horsepower, plus you're not losing that wonderful PPK sound. Once you have that sound you can't be without it. It's a win-win for you. I just can't take that chance. Besides, $2000 and labor for 35 hp + possibly losing my pops and crackles? That's a lose-lose.

Like I said before to you, congrats and enjoy!
      12-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #37
No Style 135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '90 gtr r32

Evan

Did you get the Dinan S2? I'm considering to get the same thing because I'd like to keep the sound as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #38
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokjitt135is View Post
Evan

Did you get the Dinan S2? I'm considering to get the same thing because I'd like to keep the sound as well.
Never did. Didn't want to risk losing that wonderful sound and didn't think the price was worth the extra bit of hp.

PPK = 320hp, Dinan S2 = 355hp: 35hp for $2000.
      12-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #39
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokjitt135is View Post
Evan

Never did. Didn't want to risk losing that wonderful sound and didn't think the price was worth the extra bit of hp.

Damn, was hoping you did. I would trust your judgement. I am still thinking about going Dinan S2.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #40
No Style 135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '90 gtr r32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post

Oh I see.

Then i might go for a n55 stage 1. BMS claims to gain 30-35 hp over ppk. I just got an Awron gauge that is not compatible with jb4. I know the Awron gauge will not read the data correctly if I have piggyback tune instead of flash tune like Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #41
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post

BUt, and this is a big but... HP is only half of the story with the Dinan tune. It's the torque that sells it for me. The car already has loads of torque, but the Dinan S2 adds a ton!
But, there is nothing wrong with the PPK. The sound is slightly better than the Dinan, but the power increase is much more than the 35 HP it implies (due to a much greater leap in tq).
Lots of people love the BMS solution, but I prefer set-it-and-forget-it. The forums are loaded with people saying "I got this code or that code with my JB4". My Dinan just works. All Day, every day, no questions, no issues.
That said, if you want to do more than exhaust and tune, and maybe an FMIC (i.e.FBO), the Dinan won't take advantage of all those mods.

Each has its pros and cons as well as adherents and detractors. Fortunately there is a solution for all of us depending on our needs and priorities. For me it was convenience, reliability, keeping my warranty, and not having to hide it from my dealer (my dealer is a Dinan dealer and did the install, so I know they will support me in case anything went wrong).
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #42
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BUt, and this is a big but... HP is only half of the story with the Dinan tune. It's the torque that sells it for me. The car already has loads of torque, but the Dinan S2 adds a ton!
But, there is nothing wrong with the PPK. The sound is slightly better than the Dinan, but the power increase is much more than the 35 HP it implies (due to a much greater leap in tq).
Lots of people love the BMS solution, but I prefer set-it-and-forget-it. The forums are loaded with people saying "I got this code or that code with my JB4". My Dinan just works. All Day, every day, no questions, no issues.
That said, if you want to do more than exhaust and tune, and maybe an FMIC (i.e.FBO), the Dinan won't take advantage of all those mods.

Each has its pros and cons as well as adherents and detractors. Fortunately there is a solution for all of us depending on our needs and priorities. For me it was convenience, reliability, keeping my warranty, and not having to hide it from my dealer (my dealer is a Dinan dealer and did the install, so I know they will support me in case anything went wrong).
You're right about the torque, 401 ft-lb, which is quite alot. Also, most BMW dealers don't have a problem with a Dinan tune. The idea of flash it and forget it -- simple, and no codes to worry about is the way I'd go if I were to do a tune. That's what attracted me to Dinan in the first place.

For me it's really about being unsure what will happen to my PPK sound, which is more important to me than the extra power, and realistically more useable most of the time than constantly stepping on it to feel that extra hp and torque.

I agree that power and speed are addicting, but in all honesty, who drives around taking advantage of that all the time? It wouldn't be me. And I never go to the track, and never will. Only street driving for me.
      12-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #43
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Steve,

I completely understand your desire to keep the PPK sound. I would love to get me some of that as well. I'm currently running MHD Stage 1 on my N54 with a stock exhaust and get very minimal "sound effects". I'm hesitant to spend money on PE, given the mixed results people are reporting.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
Steve,

I completely understand your desire to keep the PPK sound. I would love to get me some of that as well. I'm currently running MHD Stage 1 on my N54 with a stock exhaust and get very minimal "sound effects". I'm hesitant to spend money on PE, given the mixed results people are reporting.
I would add the PE... it will only sound better!