BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #14125
Suprgnat
Beating hysteresis one set of bushings at a time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Not sure there. Anecdotal evidence: Omar@Hydra built his car as I mentioned and used a retrofitted drexler in a E82 pumpkin retain the stock prop shaft, the rest of the M3 rear end bolted right up.

He says she said kinda stuff but, eh.
The M axles are unique to the M 210 rear end. Different output flanges on the diffs, bigger bolts on the M diff (M12 vs 10) along with a larger bolt pattern. Even if the axle splines matched, the lengths of the axles differ between the 188L, 215 and M 210 differentials.
      Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #14126
ShocknAwe
1Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N54 Mutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
The M axles are unique to the M 210 rear end. Different output flanges on the diffs, bigger bolts on the M diff (M12 vs 10) along with a larger bolt pattern. Even if the axle splines matched, the lengths of the axles differ between the 188L, 215 and M 210 differentials.
Appreciate the detail. I am clearly mistaken.

Gonna have to dig through my email box and reread what he did then. Clearly not as I previously wrote.
      Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #14127
Jeb_
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Quote:
Grab the rear knuckles and axles from a pre-LCI 135i with an automatic transmission (Type 188L differential) at the wrecking yard and it's a bolt on.

Or, you could complicate the matter and do a narrow hub swap.
While I am tempted to get carried away, that is likely the route I'm going to take.

I remember reading somewhere that it may be possible to get the e-brake on a 128i to work with 135i rotors if you swap the e-brake backing plates with ones from a 135i and use the shoes from an e46 m3. I may take some measurements to see if there's any truth to that. But since the hubs need pulled to swap the backing plates anyways it's probably just going to be easier do the axles and knuckles.

Do you know if there are any differences in the knuckles themselves between 128i and 135i or is the difference just in the hubs?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:28 PM   #14128
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb_ View Post
Since the base f30 rear calipers are just single piston slide calipers and I didn't want to modify the knuckles, I decided to do 135i rear brakes. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my e-brake to still work with that setup though.
Grab the rear knuckles and axles from a pre-LCI 135i with an automatic transmission (Type 188L differential) at the wrecking yard and it's a bolt on.

Or, you could complicate the matter and do a narrow hub swap.

This picture...
I like it...
That is all!
Appreciate 2
Suprgnat1165.00

Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #14129
Suprgnat
Beating hysteresis one set of bushings at a time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb_ View Post
While I am tempted to get carried away, that is likely the route I'm going to take.

I remember reading somewhere that it may be possible to get the e-brake on a 128i to work with 135i rotors if you swap the e-brake backing plates with ones from a 135i and use the shoes from an e46 m3. I may take some measurements to see if there's any truth to that. But since the hubs need pulled to swap the backing plates anyways it's probably just going to be easier do the axles and knuckles.

Do you know if there are any differences in the knuckles themselves between 128i and 135i or is the difference just in the hubs?
I don't think 135i backing backing plates will bolt to 128i hubs. That's my recollection, but it's been a while since I did the swap. Edit: I think it's because the bearings are bigger on the 135i the mounting holes are in different locations, but a drill can sometimes fix that.
Jeb_33.00

Today, 08:07 AM   #14130
Jeb_
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't think 135i backing backing plates will bolt to 128i hubs. That's my recollection, but it's been a while since I did the swap. Edit: I think it's because the bearings are bigger on the 135i the mounting holes are in different locations, but a drill can sometimes fix that.
Gotchya. I'll compare the backing plates while I start calling around to the salvage yards looking for axles and knuckles.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:19 PM   #14131
Jeb_
Private
Rep

Can confirm. The bolt circle for the 135i e-brake backing plates is about a half inch larger than the one for the 128i and there is not enough material to drill the smaller pattern on the 135i plates.
Appreciate 1
Suprgnat1165.00

Today, 12:50 PM   #14132
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Never planned on putting anything other than the drop in filter, but I found a local one for really cheap. Cleaned and oiled the filter and threw it on. At least 69 more wooshpower. Engine bay lookin....dirty....

Today, 06:13 PM   #14133
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Got all the supporting parts for my m performance bumper that arrives tomorrow...
Didn't realize I needed them...
Thought the bumper was just a one for one swap...
Glad I had time to research!

BMW performance rotors arrive today along with eldor coil plugs...
Rotors go on as soon as they arrive...
Eldor coils along with 2 step colder ngk's go on as soon as I get 6 index 12 injectors and dinan stage 3...

All these mods I've been doing and yet I haven't had time to really enjoy the car...
After I put on my rotors I think I'll just take a small break from upgrades and just drive the car more...

Small rant, end rant!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:00 PM   #14134
carscatscoffee15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post
Got all the supporting parts for my m performance bumper that arrives tomorrow...

Eldor coils along with 2 step colder ngk's go on as soon as I get 6 index 12 injectors and dinan stage 3...

All these mods I've been doing and yet I haven't had time to really enjoy the car...
After I put on my rotors I think I'll just take a small break from upgrades and just drive the car more...

Small rant, end rant!
The M Performance bumper is listed on some sites to be up to cars produced to 9/12

my vehicle was produced 7/13.. will the kit still fit?

Does anyone know if I could put the 135 cooling ducts in there as well or would that be pointless on a 128 unless I got the 135 wheel/fender liners for the ducting..
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap, BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler

To Do: Rear PDC Conversion | Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:03 PM   #14135
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post

Small rant, end rant!
The M Performance bumper is listed on some sites to be up to cars produced to 9/12

my vehicle was produced 7/13.. will the kit still fit?

Does anyone know if I could put the 135 cooling ducts in there as well or would that be pointless on a 128 unless I got the 135 wheel/fender liners for the ducting..
I honestly don't know...
My gut says yes, as long as you have all the supporting pieces...
My financial side says that's a lot of money to spend and not know lol...
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chip in!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:48 PM   #14136
carscatscoffee15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

You and I are alike with that sentiment

I'm just curious what would make every subsequent production model after 9/12 different that it is a disclaimer on product pages
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap, BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler

To Do: Rear PDC Conversion | Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:31 PM   #14137
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
You and I are alike with that sentiment

I'm just curious what would make every subsequent production model after 9/12 different that it is a disclaimer on product pages
There could be small variations between production years...
I'm sure all they know is it fits specific production years...
It could possibly fit your year car...
And I don't see why it wouldn't(with all the supporting parts that come in the kit)...
Hopefully someone can help here soon!
Appreciate 0