BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #23
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
The best way to install the harness is to have a harness bar probably mounted to the b-pillars. A general rule of safety is to have the shoulder straps at least shoulder height behind you (wrapping down from the b-pillar bar and bolting to the seats).
That ensures that your body weight won't compress the belts and buckle the seat. Also, I have been in a situation before where it was very fortunate that I could move my head lower than the shoulders of the seat. harnesses won't allow that. So you are stuck in an upright proper posture wich could be a bad thing in certain events (like anything coming thru the windshield). Just my experience.
Right.. I had a similar experience in 1988, with my 1st BMW, when a tractor trailer popped a leaf spring on the highway and one "leaf" of spring steel 1" x 4" x 30" came through my windshield. Lucky I was alone and I could duck down.

If I had harnesses on, I would have been decapitated.

I use these harnesses on the track and for autocross only, where you are much more safe than 3 point belts. As for a B pillar bar, they won't work on my 1 series, as my seat goes well beyond the B pillar, and I'm unwilling to forever lose use of my back seat, even it it were possible to cut up the car and install one.

Schroth are used by 95% of Nascar and last I remember, 100% of Champ cars. They are VERY safe for racing, but are very inconvenient for the street. Once clicked in, I cannot shut the door (if open), and cannot use any controls other than the steering mounted controls and the shifter.

Btw, the cheapest harnesses Schroth sells are $150 a side. The ones I have are $159/side. Quick Fits are $225/side, but there's no application for the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I installed the race belt like pics below. I use it only in trackdays

front seat:

rear on isofix point:

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #25
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freno a mano View Post

front seat:

rear on isofix point:

The ISOFix points are rated for FAR LESS than using your regular 3 point belt in crash testing. I would not use that setup, the way you have it. It's dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #26
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

are you sure? that point seems to be very hard...and force in case of accident is divided in 4 points.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #27
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
are you sure? that point seems to be very hard...and force in case of accident is divided in 4 points.

I learned that from the US Head of Schroth harnesses. I have the ratings of the ISOFix points in an email from him at home, but they are far, far less than the standard 3 point belt mounting points. Rightfully so, as they are designed to stop 30lbs (a baby seat), compared to potentially hundreds of pounds (an adult).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #28
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:

front seat:

rear on isofix point:

it's also HIGHLY unsafe to use a 4-point setup without the schroth ASM device (like you find on the rallye or quickfit belts). you have no anti-submarining protection, and in a hard frontal impact, your hips will shoot under the lap belt, which will turn your organs to mush. no racetrack tech inspector will allow this setup on a track, nor will Schroth sign off on this application. the belts you've used are intended for use with racing seats in a car with rollover protection, and in conjunction with the 5/6th point(s) for anti-submarining. if you're just using for autocross, i suppose it could be ok...

for your own safety, PLEASE get a quickfit belt with ASM! i think what you've done makes the car significantly more dangerous to occupants than the OEM systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #29
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
So still no Schroth setup that works with the 1 series?
      05-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #30
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

the rallye 3 or 4 belts with ASM will work. they are not HANS compatible. it's not a clip-in setup, so you'll have to have the belts stuffed under the front seats when not in use, but thats really no problem.
Appreciate 0